• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
According to Rugby Reg's stats, Gamble wasnt "pretty quiet", yes I know stats arent everything.

Now the Forwards

Top Defender:

1st Ollie Callan (FOR) 13 @ 100%

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 12 @ 100%

3rd Caderyn Neville (BRU) & Jeremy Williams (FOR) 10

4th Tom Lambert (WAR), Jed Holloway IWAR) & Peter Samu (BRU) 7

Work Rate leaders:

1st Brad Wilkin (REB) 2.94

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 3.00

3rd Tom Lambert (WAR) 3.11

4th Ollie Callan (FOR), Fraser McReight (RED) & Harry Wilson (RED) 3.20

Biggest Attacking influence:

1st Josh Canham (REB) 24.00

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 19.33

3rd Zane Nonggorr (RED) 13.33

4th Tim Anstee (FOR) 12.90

5th Brad Wilkin (REB) 11.00

Disrupter:

1st Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40

2nd Tom Lambert (WAR) 14.75

3rd Josh Canham (REB) 16.00

4th Brad Wilkin (REB) 16.67

5th Seru Uru (RED) 17.50

The Uh Oh:

1st Seru Uru (RED) 8.75

2nd Brad Wilkin (REB) 10.00

3rd Ryan Smith (RED) 10.50

4th Dane Zander (RED) 11.00

5th Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40
Yeah I noticed that, happy to own that. A couple of caveats though - the 19.33m was probably the 2 carries I mentioned, and he also appears in the bad stats, no doubt the knock on I referred to is in that also, along with his 3 turnovers. I don’t mind him at all as a player, but note it’s largely loosies that show up in the forward stats, usually the way. If you go to the trouble of looking at all the stats you’ll see that Hooper carried 9 times v Gambles 6, for not quite as many overall metres, but passed 6 times v Gambles 2, and was 11/13 in the tackle success. As you declare stats aren’t everything and a marginal ‘beat’ can make a player shine brighter than he actually was. However, your point was he wasn’t quiet and I’ll admit he was busier than I noticed.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I noticed that, happy to own that. A couple of caveats though - the 19.33m was probably the 2 carries I mentioned, and he also appears in the bad stats, no doubt the knock on I referred to is in that also, along with his 3 turnovers. I don’t mind him at all as a player, but note it’s largely loosies that show up in the forward stats, usually the way. If you go to the trouble of looking at all the stats you’ll see that Hooper carried 9 times v Gambles 6, for not quite as many overall metres, but passed 6 times v Gambles 2, and was 11/13 in the tackle success. As you declare stats aren’t everything and a marginal ‘beat’ can make a player shine brighter than he actually was. However, your point was he wasn’t quiet and I’ll admit he was busier than I noticed.

Yeah all valid points. Hooper certainly is a legend and for good reason.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
20230226-173632.jpg

love-emoji-smiling-emoticon-three-hearts-d-stylized-vector-icon-227315796.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Speculation for this weeks team? I don't think there will be many that haven't been forced (Bell)

I think the starting backline will remain the same. I'd be bringing in Gleeson into the backrow an probably play him at 8 and shift Gamble to 6. Same makeup of the backrow from last game but Gleeson has more ability at the back of the scrum in my opinion.

I'm still a Latu fan and wouldn't mind him in the team. To me (very unprofessional) Porecki looked to get a head knock in the last game that was brushed off. He has history so hopefully he's ok.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Losing Bell is an absolute hammer blow on the season.

I wonder if there will be any desire of moving HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back to the loosehead side? Holz had a shocker at scrum time but was really good last year and likewise Faulkner could get the starting THP gig next week. With Harry's versatility, maybe we try and get out best two props on the field at the same time?

I was really impressed with Lambert's debut though. He was particularly good around the park.

It's going to be a struggle without Bell though.

Will Harris had a poor cameo off the bench. He's a big motor kind of player though so certainly seems like a better option as a starter than as an impact player.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

I wonder if there will be any desire of moving HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back to the loosehead side? Holz had a shocker at scrum time but was really good last year and likewise Faulkner could get the starting THP gig next week. With Harry's versatility, maybe we try and get out best two props on the field at the same time?

I was really impressed with Lambert's debut though. He was particularly good around the park.

Will Harris had a poor cameo off the bench. He's a big motor kind of player though so certainly seems like a better option as a starter than as an impact player.
Agree. Belly is a huge loss and Harris definitely needs to start at 8. He is also fast for a big man.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree. Belly is a huge loss and Harris definitely needs to start at 8. He is also fast for a big man.

It's a challenge though.

Hooper and Gamble were both good and Gleeson had lots of impact off the bench.

I'm not sure I can easily fit Harris in.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I know it's early in the season, but I wonder when any scheduled rests may be pencilled in.

The Tahs at least have the ability to play Gamble at 7 if Hoopers having a week off and get Gleeson/Harris into the starting side

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I wonder if there will be any desire of moving HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back to the loosehead side? Holz had a shocker at scrum time but was really good last year and likewise Faulkner could get the starting THP gig next week. With Harry's versatility, maybe we try and get out best two props on the field at the same time?

Lambert did well too

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just need the old steel caps with a few 22mm up front, right?
Like the old refs boots that looked like they were 40 years old and could convert to be hobnailed mountain boots? They could certainly toe poke a wet leather footy for miles with them (apparently, bit before my time).
But With the amount of archilles injuries going around, I wouldn’t mind seeing tight 5 player’s revert back to the high cut ankle boots. More support for the injured area.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
True. Might depend on any preliminary squads Eddie might pick. Foketi and Perese are a chance as well and both have a history of injury or at least niggles for Foketi.

Maybe there will be a lower number for these guys but players who are not close to certain selections for the RWC squad aren't going to be asked to sit out three games.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
High ankle boots won't save you from an Achillies tear unfortunately. When it originates in your Calf and attaches at your Heel. They could help from the infamous Syndesmosis but you would also find most players have their ankles strapped like they are in casts below the socks already.

As the players get stronger and faster this causes an injury to part of the body like that.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Faulkner needs to start at THP, I think Holtz is a great prospect, but scrummaging needs to improve before he's a starter. I would be very inclined to start a front row of Lambert, Porecki and Faulkner, with Latu, Latu and Holtz on the bench.
I would also start Gleeson at 8, Gamble on the bench, 5/3 bench and leave Harris out. I would have Bowen on the bench to see how he goes with 20 minutes at this level, he's a creative 10, as I don't see a whole lot more than solid out of Edmed. Another thing I would be doing is giving Goddard some game time.