• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think the game is at the training grounds - UNSW
1677199543204.png

Yep. At Dave Phillips at 2:30pm

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tahs won 50-26, was 34-0 at HT.

The Waratahs pack dominated the Brumbies in the contact area, stifling their attack, while Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco was the picks of the forwards, running amuck and setting up two tries in the first half with some power running.

I get why they had to release him, there's a surplas of backrowers but I really hope we see him at some stage.

Last edited:

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Waratahs still short a couple of sponsors by the looks of it, in particular their sleeve sponsor. Which is usually the second biggest behind the principle/naming rights sponsor.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Waratahs provided this with their team release.

Players unavailable for selection:

Dylan Pietsch – Quad (Round 2-3)

Harry Johnson-Holmes – Achilles (Round 3-4)

Joey Walton – Back (Round 2-3)

Ned Hanigan – Knee (Round 2-4)

Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 2-3)

Will Harrison – Knee (Round 3)
Really interested to see how Johnson-Holmes does when he comes back. I thought he was really coming on last year. Looked much more comfortable scrummaging at THP and was still doing great work around the field.

There is a real opportunity for a guy like him this year to fight for a WC spot and I feel he has more ability than Robertson.

Hopefully he will come back strongly from injury and quickly find the form of last year. Becomes even more important now if Bell is out.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who's next up at loose head prop for the tahs? It looks like they played all their fit props last night and if Tauakipulu/Johnson-Holmes aren't ready next week they'll have to call someone up from Shute/U20s. Have any of the hookers got experience at prop?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Really interested to see how Johnson-Holmes does when he comes back. I thought he was really coming on last year. Looked much more comfortable scrummaging at THP and was still doing great work around the field.

There is a real opportunity for a guy like him this year to fight for a WC spot and I feel he has more ability than Robertson.

Hopefully he will come back strongly from injury and quickly find the form of last year. Becomes even more important now if Bell is out.
Funny isn't it. Some years ago, Robertson and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) were fighting it out for the Tahs' LHP spot. IIRC HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was moved to the TH side while Tom R retained the LH side. Now they could be going head to head for a spot in the RWC squad on the TH side.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Funny isn't it. Some years ago, Robertson and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) were fighting it out for the Tahs' LHP spot. IIRC HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was moved to the TH side while Tom R retained the LH side. Now they could be going head to head for a spot in the RWC squad on the TH side.
I think the fact they have experience at both helps both of them. I know Slipper can also play both but I’d personally not like to take our starting loose head and make him reserve THP.

Mind you - based on the current attrition rate Blake Schoupp and Zane Nonggorr might be fighting it out for spots by the end of the year.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Who's next up at loose head prop for the tahs? It looks like they played all their fit props last night and if Tauakipulu/Johnson-Holmes aren't ready next week they'll have to call someone up from Shute/U20s. Have any of the hookers got experience at prop?
I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is round 3-4 comeback.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)

Really banking on him coming good.

I was excited to see a Bell/Latu/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) front row at scrum time. Hope it still happens at some point in the season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Changes for next week?

Gleeson has to start. I'm beginning to think less and less of Porecki, his set piece is good but he's undersized and gets smashed in collisions. Vailanu and Latu bring much more energy/impact.

This year (and we're going to see a lot of them) I feel much more encouraged by our prop depth. I thought Lambert and Faulkner were both really good. Sinclair was good as well. Unfortunately, I still don't rate Harris at all, he hasn't bulked up imo and he has little impact.

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Holz
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Pietsch/Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Jorgenson
15. Donaldson

16. Latu
17. Latu
18. Faulkner
19. Sinclair
20. Gamble/RWV
21. Goddard
22. Tuipulotu/Walton
23. Nadolo

Give Goddard a solid 15-20 mins too.

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Changes for next week?

Gleeson has to start. I'm beginning to think less and less of Porecki, his set piece is good but he's undersized and gets smashed in collisions. Vailanu and Latu bring much more energy/impact.

This year (and we're going to see a lot of them) I feel much more encouraged by our prop depth. I thought Lambert and Faulkner were both really good. Sinclair was good as well. Unfortunately, I still don't rate Harris at all, he hasn't bulked up imo and he has little impact.

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Holz
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Pietsch/Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Jorgenson
15. Donaldson

16. Latu
17. Latu
18. Faulkner
19. Sinclair
20. Gamble/RWV
21. Goddard
22. Tuipulotu/Walton
23. Nadolo

Give Goddard a solid 15-20 mins too.

I agree, Porecki has no presence around the field unless you want someone to pull on jerseys at the ruck...

I'd start Latu and bring on Vailanu off the bench again.
Would consider benching hooper for gamble haha maybe an unpopular opinion.

Pretty happy with the backline.