• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I agree, Porecki has no presence around the field unless you want someone to pull on jerseys at the ruck...

I'd start Latu and bring on Vailanu off the bench again.
Would consider benching hooper for gamble haha maybe an unpopular opinion.

Pretty happy with the backline.
Once you become a veteran it's not about being a superstar. I saw two balls he picked up with his fingertips that everyone else on both teams would have dropped, it's about that sort of stuff. And he was noticeable around the park in general, I thought Gamble was pretty quiet apart from a couple of good carries, one of which he knocked on about 3 metres from the line.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with the comment on Porecki although I think there is a lot to be said at the moment for a hooker who nails his throws and Porecki is the clear best of the Tahs three hookers there.

I’m loath to bench Nawaqanitwase after 1 game as good as Jorgenson was on debut. He’s come off a break out year. I’d back him.

Happy to wait and see on Harris. I do rate him - but spots in the backrow are competitive. He’s going to have to win his spot.

Interesting that the emergence of Gamble means even Tahs fans now seem to be turning on Hooper. I admit I was very tired watching a reply of the game late last night so maybe I need to watch again but my impression was Hooper was pretty good - getting through a big work load as usual. Making his tackles, pushing past the shoulder line when he ran the ball and being in the right spot more often than not. For me he is still a level above Gamble, Samu & McReigt as a 7 but good to have competition.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with the comment on Porecki although I think there is a lot to be said at the moment for a hooker who nails his throws and Porecki is the clear best of the Tahs three hookers there.

I’m loath to bench Nawaqanitwase after 1 game as good as Jorgenson was on debut. He’s come off a break out year. I’d back him.

Happy to wait and see on Harris. I do rate him - but spots in the backrow are competitive. He’s going to have to win his spot.

Interesting that the emergence of Gamble means even Tahs fans now seem to be turning on Hooper. I admit I was very tired watching a reply of the game late last night so maybe I need to watch again but my impression was Hooper was pretty good - getting through a big work load as usual. Making his tackles, pushing past the shoulder line when he ran the ball and being in the right spot more often than not. For me he is still a level above Gamble, Samu & McReigt as a 7 but good to have competition.
Hooper is still class. He sticks his tackles, get's through a load of work, always makes gain when he carries and just generally never does anything stupid which some of the other mercurial players do.

I agree re: Harris. This wasn't a good game for him, but he's shown a lot of ability and potential in the past. The competition will do him good.

I actually didn't think it was a good game for Edmed. They hit his channel a bit and he came up short on a number of occasions. He really didn't unlock players like Perese and even Foketi (particularly in the first half). I felt like he signposted too much. Our loss of Beale at fullback has created a bit of a conundrum but I'm not sold yet that Donaldson and/or Harrison (when he returns) shouldn't be getting a run at 10.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know there is a big difference between potential and being able to deliver at top level - but it seems amazing we’ve had a period where virtually none of the young 10s have kicked on to a period where we have so many good prospects we don’t have room for all of them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a side note - how good was it to watch Peter Jorgenson in the crowd and his reactions when the camera panned across to him. Seemed pretty embarrassed to be on camera but at the same time clearly enjoying his son’s moment in the sun (hopefully one of many, many more). Nice to see others (who I assume were also members of the family) loving the occasion.

Genuinely wonderful note and, whilst Peter seemed embarrassed by the attention on him, can’t help but feel privileged to have been able to share it in a tiny way.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it makes more sense for Tahs to start Harris with his size and then use Gamble off the bench in the second half when the game opens up. Either way Harris needs to be more accurate.

Tahs handling errors have an extra negative in that they result in scrums which doesn't suit Tahs. Worth noting there were far fewer scrums in Chiefs-Crusaders - Tahs need that sort of game.

Thought Brumbies attack looked far better than last season. Really looking forward to Blues - Brumbies next weekend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This year (and we're going to see a lot of them) I feel much more encouraged by our prop depth. I thought Lambert and Faulkner were both really good. Sinclair was good as well. Unfortunately, I still don't rate Harris at all, he hasn't bulked up imo and he has little impact.

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Holz
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Pietsch/Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Jorgenson
15. Donaldson

16. Latu
17. Latu
18. Faulkner
19. Sinclair
20. Gamble/RWV
21. Goddard
22. Tuipulotu/Walton
23. Nadolo

Give Goddard a solid 15-20 mins too.
Qwerty, an outsider's view, but I reckon any team would be licking their lips in anticipation coming up against the Tahs with that front row. Scrums will likely be backpedaling all game.

I can't agree either with any suggestion Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) might be dropped. He had a poor night but his development last year was impressive. He will still be one of our top wingers come test time and has earned his spot on the Tahs wing despite a more or less ordinary performance.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
BR, with no Bell or HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), that's what it must be. I actualy thought Lambert acquitted himself pretty well, but Holtz got a bit of a touch-up

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nawaqanitawase played a bit like a guy who read his end of year tour press a few times too many. Tried some low % stuff. He'll be better for that game and will probably kick on. I wouldn't bench him. More likely Pietsch and Jorgenson interchange.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The thing is Pietsch probably does everything better than Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) without the ball. Tackling, breakdown etc.
But I think the attacking threat of Nawaqanitawase is worth more, so I'd have him there. Jorgenson might morph to an 11/15 switch going forward and we see all 3 on there, later in games. Maybe.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
While Jorgensen tackles well, he made a couple of poor decisions in defence, which will ne doubt be rectified by a bit more time and experience. I think he's a really great prospect and should get plenty of game time, at this point I would still have Peitsch and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) as run-on wings with everyone fit.
I think Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) was criticised for his lack of involvement in the trial against the Reds, where he just sat on his wing waiting for the ball to come to him, so he tried to inject himself into the game a bit more. He just needs to cut out the low percentage plays. We need to remember he's only 20, he has a lot to learn about playing his game at this level yet.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Once you become a veteran it's not about being a superstar. I saw two balls he picked up with his fingertips that everyone else on both teams would have dropped, it's about that sort of stuff. And he was noticeable around the park in general, I thought Gamble was pretty quiet apart from a couple of good carries, one of which he knocked on about 3 metres from the line.
According to Rugby Reg's stats, Gamble wasnt "pretty quiet", yes I know stats arent everything.

Now the Forwards

Top Defender:

1st Ollie Callan (FOR) 13 @ 100%

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 12 @ 100%

3rd Caderyn Neville (BRU) & Jeremy Williams (FOR) 10

4th Tom Lambert (WAR), Jed Holloway IWAR) & Peter Samu (BRU) 7

Work Rate leaders:

1st Brad Wilkin (REB) 2.94

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 3.00

3rd Tom Lambert (WAR) 3.11

4th Ollie Callan (FOR), Fraser McReight (RED) & Harry Wilson (RED) 3.20

Biggest Attacking influence: