• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2023

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
According to Rugby Reg's stats, Gamble wasnt "pretty quiet", yes I know stats arent everything.

Now the Forwards

Top Defender:

1st Ollie Callan (FOR) 13 @ 100%

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 12 @ 100%

3rd Caderyn Neville (BRU) & Jeremy Williams (FOR) 10

4th Tom Lambert (WAR), Jed Holloway IWAR) & Peter Samu (BRU) 7

Work Rate leaders:

1st Brad Wilkin (REB) 2.94

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 3.00

3rd Tom Lambert (WAR) 3.11

4th Ollie Callan (FOR), Fraser McReight (RED) & Harry Wilson (RED) 3.20

Biggest Attacking influence:

1st Josh Canham (REB) 24.00

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 19.33

3rd Zane Nonggorr (RED) 13.33

4th Tim Anstee (FOR) 12.90

5th Brad Wilkin (REB) 11.00

Disrupter:

1st Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40

2nd Tom Lambert (WAR) 14.75

3rd Josh Canham (REB) 16.00

4th Brad Wilkin (REB) 16.67

5th Seru Uru (RED) 17.50

The Uh Oh:

1st Seru Uru (RED) 8.75

2nd Brad Wilkin (REB) 10.00

3rd Ryan Smith (RED) 10.50

4th Dane Zander (RED) 11.00

5th Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40
Where's Hooper?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
High ankle boots won't save you from an Achillies tear unfortunately. When it originates in your Calf and attaches at your Heel. They could help from the infamous Syndesmosis but you would also find most players have their ankles strapped like they are in casts below the socks already.

As the players get stronger and faster this causes an injury to part of the body like that.
Thanks for clearing that up. Always wondered why tight 5 forwards pretty much just stopped wearing the high cut boots. Now I know.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Now the Forwards

Top Defender:

1st Ollie Callan (FOR) 13 @ 100%

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 12 @ 100%

3rd Caderyn Neville (BRU) & Jeremy Williams (FOR) 10

4th Tom Lambert (WAR), Jed Holloway IWAR) & Peter Samu (BRU) 7

Hooper - 11 tackles @ 84.62%

Work Rate leaders:

1st Brad Wilkin (REB) 2.94

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 3.00

3rd Tom Lambert (WAR) 3.11

4th Ollie Callan (FOR), Fraser McReight (RED) & Harry Wilson (RED) 3.20

12th Michael Hooper 3.81

Biggest Attacking influence:

1st Josh Canham (REB) 24.00

2nd Charlie Gamble (WAR) 19.33

3rd Zane Nonggorr (RED) 13.33

4th Tim Anstee (FOR) 12.90

5th Brad Wilkin (REB) 11.00

Equal 7th Michael Hooper (with Tom Robertson) 8.00

Disrupter:

1st Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40

2nd Tom Lambert (WAR) 14.75

3rd Josh Canham (REB) 16.00

4th Brad Wilkin (REB) 16.67

5th Seru Uru (RED) 17.50

Equal 7th Michael Hooper (with Anstee, Williams, Callan, Hardwick) 20.00

The Uh Oh:

1st Seru Uru (RED) 8.75

2nd Brad Wilkin (REB) 10.00

3rd Ryan Smith (RED) 10.50

4th Dane Zander (RED) 11.00

5th Charlie Gamble (WAR) 11.40

Equal 22nd Michael Hooper (with Williams, McReight, Holloway, Wilson) 26.67

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Abysmal planning at prop will be at the core of an average season for the Tahs. It's been the same story for a few years now. Awful prop stocks. Why is there zero planning? We see these Super rugby wannabees being cycled in and out, year after year. Other than Bell's recent entry to the scene (and more frequent exits), for about 5 years now there has literally not been a single prop where you could say yeah, that bloke is up to it.

You cannot compete in this comp with below-average prop stocks. Thus scrum is about the get slaughtered week after week. It is going to be really ugly.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a ridiculous comment. Lambert was great on the weekend and he's a buy. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is about to be back soon.

Holz looks a decent prospect, he's still very young for a prop and Faulkner is carrying well although I have doubts about his scrummaging.

I fail to see what the Tahs have done wrong at prop this season, it's lock that's the issue.

In terms of Bell/Lambert/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)/Holz I reckon half the teams have a quad of props worse than that.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Correct, there’s a massive gap between the starting and reserve front rowers here. Holz will do well to come off the bench and develop from there.

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
Abysmal planning at prop will be at the core of an average season for the Tahs. It's been the same story for a few years now. Awful prop stocks. Why is there zero planning? We see these Super rugby wannabees being cycled in and out, year after year. Other than Bell's recent entry to the scene (and more frequent exits), for about 5 years now there has literally not been a single prop where you could say yeah, that bloke is up to it.

You cannot compete in this comp with below-average prop stocks. Thus scrum is about the get slaughtered week after week. It is going to be really ugly.
I agree with Bell injured we are going to struggle.
However faulkner and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) have performed well at Super Rugby level.
See how the new crop goes through the season...

Alex Ross (28)

Not a fair comment imo. Tahs have been cycling through props to find a solution and yes with mixed success. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Robertson are both Super Rugby quality that came up through the systems. Others have not, but you gotta try them. Some have chosen to walk away from pro Rugby like Breen and O’Connor. Other left for overseas (Orr) to come back elsewhere.
I don’t see where any other franchise has done a superior job.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree. Faulkner and Lambert on the bench were huge. Get HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back and it can settle. The Reds Front row situation is bad. Dane Zander should not be a starting Super Rugby Prop. I wouldn't even have him in the 23. Same goes for Hooker up there. I know someone will say "he played Aus A", but Faessler isn't either. Benefit the Reds do have is they will get Luke Jones, Blyth and Wright back into the pack soon enough which will harden up the middle for them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Losing Bell means we losing attacking weapon who is a solid scrummager.

We now end up with, at best, with units who can hold their own at scrum time and not drop the ball & miss tackles in the lose

It is the standard net loss of losing a starting test player for the season

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

No one plays rugby anymore. Dunno how much 'planning' will help. Maybe we can just will Super Rugby standard props into existence if we hold hands and think hard enough.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
029044B0-1493-430B-B69A-799D4E11049C.jpeg