• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Simone, with his passing and footwork, looks like the perfect partner for the steely and savvy vet in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Pity he's overseas.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Simone, with his passing and footwork, looks like the perfect partner for the steely and savvy vet in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Pity he's overseas.
Simone seems to have it all, though I've seen three occasions across the last two games where his longer pass left-to-right really lacks finesse and accuracy - it's like watching a child learning to pass that way after mastering the other direction, his hands (and ball) are going everywhere.

Otherwise though, he's been sensational and besides those feet, those offloads, a good boot, strength and gas off the mark, he's got a rugby brain you usually see in wily veterans or the better scrumhalfs. The steal in his own in-goal to deny the Rising a try last week, and his confidence and knowledge of the game to be able to overtly pressure referees at the breakdown exemplifies a player With an ability well above this level.

While a combo with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be effective, his current combo with Con Foley is clearly the best in the NRC - I'd like to know what coach Gibson is thinking...

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
So they're bringing the big show to Newy, with the high-flying Eagles up against the falling Rising. So I can walk down to the game, it's going to a balmy arvo, and it's also my daughter's sixth birthday party damnit. Last time we got a NRC game the weather was so bad that the seagulls walked off the job, and the last test we got against Scotland a few years back was so bad that random people just hugged into each other to get body warmth and as an excuse not to watch the terrible rugby. Okay, we did get a Tahs trial in maybe 2014 where Alofa tore the Highlanders to pieces (and all of 37 people saw it), and there was that Fiji trial a few years back - but hallelujah some quality rugby is back again and there's hope yet that some touring Wallabies will be available for each side. And I've got to sneak out of my daughter's party...

So back to last weekend's action, which finally popped up on the ATV4 while I was on birthday duty constructing multiple hot wheels tracks, a bmx and a basketball ring for my little tomboy. So while I won't be as in-depth this week, there's still a few key things I noticed regarding signed and potential Tahs - from the front to the back.

The Eagles Paddy Ryan was dished up in the scrum like duck au l'orange by the Rams Dave Lolohea, though did get around the park reasonably well. The other LHP was the Rams Matt Gibbon who put up a very good display against Tahs EPS signing Sam Needs - and without a genuine LHP in the squad he's a chance to get a supp or dev contract as Rory O'Connor isn't getting much game time (exposure) since hurting his hand a few weeks back. For the Rays down in Melbourne Angus Ta'Avao seems to have recovered from migraines brought on from concussion, and was pretty reasonable on the tighthead side and around the park. None of the starting hookers will feature on the Tahs roster, but it'll be good to see Latu back from Wallabies squad duty, and Fitzpatrick returning from a bench-rest.

Hanigan was also rested, and I didn't see much of Buchanan and I was a bit concerned to see McCauley running at an angle and getting nailed for it. Connor "C-my" Vest keeps getting mentions and is also a chance of a supp or dev contract, while at the Rams I've had enough of waiting for Toleafoa to show his potential - cut him away now I say. From the loosies you've got to be enjoying the Rays Jack Dempsey bullying the opposition and running freely like a centre, meanwhile Michael Wells seems like a decent acquisition from the Brumbies. Over at the Eagles Rowan Perry seems to have dropped off a little after some great mid-season form, though Sam Figg continues to play like a rampaging centre (which from memory is where he played in NRC #1). I don't think Sam Ward is going to make it, though over at the Rams I think Tyrone Viiga will. He's been shaded slightly by Brisbane City's Naisarani, though with a bit more power and speed to his game via summer hill runs in Centennial Park could make him a good back-up to Jed H.

Jake Gordon was more opportunist than brilliant this week, though must remain on Gibson's radar - with 3 EPS contracts written he can only step up to the main squad. We didn't get much of Lucas from the bench freshening for the finals campaign. Deegan has largely held down the flyhalf role and has retained his development contract, though is no world-beater yet and would be out of place in Super Rugby (much like another Wicks flyhalf we know). Nothing to say about Simone that hasn't already been said, and to be brutal about Horwitz I'd much rather Con Foley at 13 and even Paul Asquith at 12 (Rams have flourished since he's shifted out). Again, Simone and Foley make a great centre pairing and both will be considered for full contracts in coming weeks (Simone is currently EPS). Back onto Horwitz, the guy finds himself in space and he'll make a textbook pass - great balance, hands well placed and it's a cutout pass two times out of three that has allowed the defence to shift onto the winger and fuck all ensues (admittedly, Fainga'a bombed a try off one). He doesn't defend either. He'll send Bob Dwyer to an early grave this kid, though seriously if he doesn't try fullback he's got to be cut as 10/12/13 even at NRC level he's certainly in the shallow end of the talent pool.

Onto the back three, and it's good to see The Fire back for the Eagles though he's form looks patchy so far just back from injury. Reece Robinson has moved into a purple patch of form though on the back of looking to get involved, which he didn't do earlier in the season and he's more than just handy. Harry Jones at the Rays has taken opportunities well though I'm disappointed he didn't get a run at fullback.

As far as I know 4 more full contracts are to be announced, and I'm hoping it'll be Hanigan (who told reporters on the NRC pages of rugby.com.au he'd signed, though there's been no media as yet), Jake Gordon as last year he was EPS and he's better than that now, Irea Simone for obvious reasons to have his EPS upgraded, and Con Foley as an outside back. This leaves Sam Figg out, though I think he's committed to the 7s program, and Tom Cusack too though I'm not sure of his plans. Viiga should get Simone's EPS or at least a supp contract, as we're short on damaging ball running eighthmen.

Time to have the conversation about missing my child's party for a game of rugby - might just try for a foot rub first - my feet are killing ;)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Simone seems to have it all, though I've seen three occasions across the last two games where his longer pass left-to-right really lacks finesse and accuracy - it's like watching a child learning to pass that way after mastering the other direction, his hands (and ball) are going everywhere.

Otherwise though, he's been sensational and besides those feet, those offloads, a good boot, strength and gas off the mark, he's got a rugby brain you usually see in wily veterans or the better scrumhalfs. The steal in his own in-goal to deny the Rising a try last week, and his confidence and knowledge of the game to be able to overtly pressure referees at the breakdown exemplifies a player With an ability well above this level.

While a combo with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be effective, his current combo with Con Foley is clearly the best in the NRC - I'd like to know what coach Gibson is thinking.

I read on rugby news about Horwitz being a bolter for the EOYT - serious.
I'd have Simone as the starting 12 for the Tah's and Horwitz on the pine - Horwitz has had allot of PR spin coming through, lets see him prove his worth.

The past Soup season he got found out on more occassions than he created.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Horwitz must have friends in high places.

Early in the year (might have been after round 1 tbh) Rugby 360 were doing Wallaby Bolter of the week or something because Cheika was on the show, and while he talked Hodge, which was the obvious choice given he'd played 3 positions, scored 2 tries and kicked from the tee on debut, they was quite obviously prepared a Horwitz puff piece, given the footage run and making about 3 attempts to divert the talk.

Don't get me wrong, he's been pretty good in the NRC, and at times in the Soup, but nothing he's done has put "Wallaby" in my head.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Horwitz must have friends in high places.

Early in the year (might have been after round 1 tbh) Rugby 360 were doing Wallaby Bolter of the week or something because Cheika was on the show, and while he talked Hodge, which was the obvious choice given he'd played 3 positions, scored 2 tries and kicked from the tee on debut, they was quite obviously prepared a Horwitz puff piece, given the footage run and making about 3 attempts to divert the talk.

Don't get me wrong, he's been pretty good in the NRC, and at times in the Soup, but nothing he's done has put "Wallaby" in my head.

Ha ha, watched the same show.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horwitz has been very, very effective in the NRC without being a star, I expect that will be his description going forward.

I would guess he has limited out and out talent but a excellent work ethic and attitude.

There is a definite role for players of that like in a squad

His mistakes in Super Rugby so far seem to be when he tries to be something he is not and attempts that 15m, flat cut out ball

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It seems to me that his problem is that he decides what he's going to do before he gets the ball,and does not react to what the defence does.
That's why when he pays at the line at higher levels he fucks it up continually.
Throwing long balls well before the line rarely adds any value.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
His mistakes in Super Rugby so far seem to be when he tries to be something he is not and attempts that 15m, flat cut out ball
It worked very well for him at Scots with Kellaway hitting the pass at speed, often inside their own 22, and nothing but grass in front of him. He must be still relying on what worked for him as a schoolboy.

dru

David Wilson (68)
It worked very well for him at Scots with Kellaway hitting the pass at speed, often inside their own 22, and nothing but grass in front of him. He must be still relying on what worked for him as a schoolboy.

If a 15m flat cut out worked at school why wouldnt it work now? (Unless it's been coached out)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm a bit more upbeat on Horwitz. He's only 22 and has improved considerably this year I think. The NRC has certainly been the best stretch of rugby he's played.

He needs to improve his defence and option taking but I definitely think it is coming together. I'm not sure how exactly he'll fit in for the Tahs in 2017 with Simone a real contender for the 12 jersey and it being uncertain where exactly Horne will fit in.

We needed him in 2016 (generally off the bench) and are likely to need him in a similar capacity in 2017. He certainly looks like he'll be in a better position to perform to Super Rugby level in 2017.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He is an old 22.
This is his fourth year as a full time pro.
We didn't need him this year,we needed a body in the jumper he wore occasionally.
He has had a good NRC this year,but that's his ceiling IMO.
Id rather they gave an up & comer like Newsome a go, than continue to persevere with Horwitz.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think they are really competing for the same role in the squad.

I also rate Newsome and hope he gets a crack.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Then what role will Horwitz play?
I think it's universally acknowledged that Simone> Horwitz.

If he is used at 10 we are surely doomed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, I agree that Simone is better and would seemingly be a good chance to start with everyone fit.

Horwitz seems like a bench option in 2017 again and will do a better job of it than in 2016 because he is clearly an improved player.

I really don't see any point in getting rid of him.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's played 1 year of professional football. Why don't we like Horwitz? He's a big bloke who covers lots of positions and does good things.

Consistency is an issue, but with one year of PLAYING Super rugby, give him another before we write him off.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Horwitz a "big bloke"? I wouldn't call 183cm/94kg particularly "big". That's medium to small in the current pro rugby panorama.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horwitz a "big bloke"? I wouldn't call 183cm/94kg particularly "big". That's medium to small in the current pro rugby panorama.

He looks big on the glance test, but I could be wrong. I don't give much cadence to those profile stats.

Compare him to Simone (a guy playing a similar role with a similar time in professional conditioning programs) and tell me who LOOKS bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.