• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who would not want to chase the money now - they can probably earn a good pay in league and then switch to French Rugby..for the big pay day....

I still dream of one day a bigger professional domestic rugby comp in Australia where we could actually better compete for young talent.

T

TOCC

And, in a way, that's where we have to say "Well, if you're chasing the money NOW, then good luck to you"

And what is wrong with a young players signing for money?

NRL U20's offer a minimum wage, they offer scholarship and uni studies options, they offer young kids the opportunity to train in a professional environment whilst also getting paid. For some young players, this is an opportunity they literally can't afford to overlook.

The average NRL is only 3 to 4 years, only a very small percentage will make a 10 year career of playing professional sport. Im sure the statistics aren't too different for rugby union. For an 18yr old kid straight out of school, the NRL U20's offers a superior development pathway.

Rugby Union now has a loose U20's tournament, but they aren't been paid, they still have to maintain day jobs and study whilst trying to develop as a professional athlete.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And what is wrong with a young players signing for money?

NRL U20's offer a minimum wage, they offer scholarship and uni studies options, they offer young kids the opportunity to train in a professional environment whilst also getting paid. For some young players, this is an opportunity they literally can't afford to overlook.

The average NRL is only 3 to 4 years, only a very small percentage will make a 10 year career of playing professional sport. Im sure the statistics aren't too different for rugby union. For an 18yr old kid straight out of school, the NRL U20's offers a superior development pathway.

Rugby Union now has a loose U20's tournament, but they aren't been paid, they still have to maintain day jobs and study whilst trying to develop as a professional athlete.
Just watched replay of rays vs eagles game - Simone just getting better and better - hope Gibson watching the tapes as his game awareness and skills as playmaker are just sublime at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just watched replay of rays vs eagles game - Simone just getting better and better - hope Gibson watching the tapes as his game awareness and skills as playmaker are just sublime at this point

Read somewhere that Horan suggested Simone should go on the end of year tour. I must admit I've been thinking the same thing considering how many 12s are injured or unavailable and my selfish desire to see him captured for Australia and not another Sam Lousi episode where he just ends up back in a NZ Super Rugby team any way.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes just watched tape of rugby360 after posting this where yes they mentioned Simone as bolter Cheika should consider for EOYT.

Early in the season though impressed would not have gone probably that far but after watching the replay of rays vs eagles game and watching all the little things he does so well on top of the sublime I actually think considering him as a bolter for EOYT is not as silly as it sounds.

He is just getting better with every game from what I have seen and was already playing at a high level. That said lot of talented players in Rays who just continue to impress and Cron got to be a coach who equally has bright future after winning Shute Shield final and quality of rugby Rays are producing for as a team they are equally improving week on week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
is he eligible?

How long has he been in Australia now? Or does he have Aussie parents?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe cap him at Sevens over the Summer if you can't get him in the EOYT squad?

Looks like he'd make a good Forward to me.

T

TOCC

Can't see the Tahs releasing a player form their pre-season to play Sevens, and not much attraction for the Sevens squad to invest time in a player who is already contracted to XV's for 2017.

I'm not against using the NRC as a stepping stone for Wallaby selection, especially when players like Simone have been playing against other Wallaby and Super Rugby players and has clearly been a level above.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
According to this he signed for the Rabbitos in 2014. I assume he moved over for pre-season which should mean he eligible around about now. Unless he has an Aussie parent/

http://www.qa.rabbitohs.com.au/team/profiles/irae_simone.html
Good point. If was eligible and will be mid week games for eoyt the way Simone has been playing and outplaying other super rugby players in nrc means I could see some merit for simones selection as a Bolter for eoyt but yes is he elegible?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Simone spent a year grinding in the Shute Shield and NRC when he could've gone to NZ Club footy and come through their NPC. I think he sees Australia as his pathway.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Simone spent a year grinding in the Shute Shield and NRC when he could've gone to NZ Club footy and come through their NPC. I think he sees Australia as his pathway.
Given depth of talent in nz I think he has made right choice

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Read somewhere that Horan suggested Simone should go on the end of year tour. I must admit I've been thinking the same thing considering how many 12s are injured or unavailable and my selfish desire to see him captured for Australia and not another Sam Lousi episode where he just ends up back in a NZ Super Rugby team any way.

I have been trying to keep track of the number of players that various Fox Sports commentators have been tipping as outsiders for the tour, but I have run out of fingers and toes.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I have been trying to keep track of the number of players that various Fox Sports commentators have been tipping as outsiders for the tour, but I have run out of fingers and toes.
But can you count the amount of times Horan has tipped a Wallaby bolter who is not from Queensland? This has got to have legs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

We should have a new thread called the daily bolter where every day people nominate a new bolter for the wallabies eoyt tour. Foxsports could then use this as a direct feed to call out new bolters in case they start running out of names.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
We should have a new thread called the daily bolter where every day people nominate a new bolter for the wallabies eoyt tour. Foxsports could then use this as a direct feed to call out new bolters in case they start running out of names.
It could be called.........
image.jpeg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watched rams vs eagles game over weekend - Reece had very good game on the wing. Showed much better awareness of where to be at right time in terms of positional play, with some very good tries taken.

2017 may offer lot more for Reece at the Tahs. Not bad place to be with Reece, Kellaway, Dempsey and Holloway (to name a few) more settled in and ready to take their game to another level.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
+1 Rn. There were times when I felt Reece started to look like a rugby player rather than a league convert. If Simone continues his good form, but in sky blue next year, the Tahs look like they'll have a quality backline. They seem to have good depth everywhere apart from the second row.

Status
Not open for further replies.