• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Jim Stewart's neck injury more serious than we all thought?
If Jim Stewart is (sadly) the new Michael Hodge and a full contact becomes available, we'll have four full contracts left to hand out and I'd be aiming to sign Ned Hanigan, Jake Gordon, Irea Simone (promotion from EPS), and Con Foley.

That'd give us a 17/13 split between forwards and backs, the same balance as 2016 - though would notably exclude Horwitz from a full contract. If the Tahs still think he has a future, he can have the EPS that Simone should vacate on promotion.

Simply put (backline full contracts only):

Beale, Carraro, Horwitz, Stewart out; and

Gordon, Simone, Foley, Clark in.

The disappointing departure of Beale seems to have a silver lining, and please let's not risk Simone!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Jim Stewart is (sadly) the new Michael Hodge and a full contact becomes available, we'll have four full contracts left to hand out and I'd be aiming to sign Ned Hanigan, Jake Gordon, Irea Simone (promotion from EPS), and Con Foley.

That'd give us a 17/13 split between forwards and backs, the same balance as 2016 - though would notably exclude Horwitz from a full contract. If the Tahs still think he has a future, he can have the EPS that Simone should vacate on promotion.

Simply put (backline full contracts only):

Beale, Carraro, Horwitz, Stewart out; and

Gordon, Simone, Foley, Clark in.

The disappointing departure of Beale seems to have a silver lining, and please let's not risk Simone!
Stewart has not shown to me super rugby quality - Simone has so hopefully gets trials at 12 and all things go well from that gets upgraded from eps contract. Gordon also could be another in this boat. Con foley could be another bolter. Not sure about cam clarke - need to see more game time to be convinced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Michael posted on the match thread that he would like Holloway to join the Wallabies if he weren't injured. I assume that means its not Holloway.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I really hope you're right, he was basically the only good thing from Tahs 2016 (maybe Tom Robertson)

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
John Muggleton told me last week Jed's got to go through a complete rehab, he won't be available until Super Rugby 2017. A shame, the 8 jumper's still up for grabs.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Topgun, tough call to say Holloway and possibly Robertson were the only good things to come out of the Tahs in 2016.
I would have thought Kellaway and Dempsey were pretty handy additions as well!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan becoming a strong LHP at Super Rugby level was a big positive for 2016 in my opinion.

We went from the scrum being decimated in the opening rounds to settling on a strong front row with Ryan and Robertson at prop by the end of the season.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Quite right, Tadpole and Bh, there were more than a handful of positive things to emerge from the Tahs season this year. Nice foundation to build on in 2017.

On another note, did I see Matt Carraro run around in Toulon's colours on the weekend?

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
A pretty big weekend for sports fans, an Aussie won a Grand Prix amongst underdog grand final victories across the codes, the Wallabies were shit against a terrible Springboks side, and there was some wind affected NRC that was full of surprises. I've nominated some key performances of potential and signed Tahs for 2017.

After another sizeable investment in my local Dan Murphy's I watched first versus last game setting up the man cave for the first day of invaders, so part of the review isn't too specific. For starters though, Paddy Ryan didn't impress on either side of the scrum, struggling against the Tongan Thor and not featuring around the park as I had hoped to see. I guess Fletcher Dyson and David Fitter also played up front for the Wallabies, he's got plateaued written all over him though he's still good enough for a Super Rugby matchday 23 when you consider Tilse's long career.

Tim Buchanan didn't get much good ball at the lineout as Clarrie Moore struggled to hit the target, and was outmuscled at the breakdown by big QLD Country boys Taniela and Thorn. Even Ned Hanigan, Sam Figg and Rohan Perry weren't at their best as the NSW Country pack struggled to dominate as they've done in the first half of the competition.

Deegan and Horwitz didn't particypularly shine, and despite all the doom and gloom the boys nearly chased down the 20-point deficit - and I'd have to admit Reece Robinson was close to the best on the park. I would like to see Christian Kagiassis in another 12 months, that boy runs straight and hard.

I got a closer look at the Rays replay on the Sunday morning, and man - dat Irea Simone is da bomb! If there's any weakness though, he seems to struggle passing from left to right and had a couple of turnovers against him due to poor technique - though this kid can really play. There's players across codes you'll recognise as having endless amounts of time to appraise and execute - I always think of Mark Waugh and Wayne Carey - and Simone seems to have just that at 2nd five-eighth. I can't wait to see him explode onto the Super Rugby scene, hopefully with a full contract!

Otherwise Damien Fitzpatrick had another blinder and scored twice, and continues to lead the competition's tackle count. Connor Vest is still worth a look at a supplementary gig at lock, Dempsey as generation next is showing he's nearly ready to be generation now, and Michael Wells also played a big game controlling the back of the scrum nicely and getting a decent pushover try. Ta'Avao off the bench is really good at this level but needs a big offseason in the gym.

In the backs - you know I'd like to see Matt Lucas go to the Force as captain and really give it to the other Super Rugby scrummies as he's only going to get late minutes at the Tahs. Positive and inspiring leader, with a great passing and kicking game and fearless if not fully effective in defence. He's been great for the Rays this year and is probably in the top-5 scrumhalfs going around in Australia - incl. the Wallabies.

Enough about Simone, easily the premier 12 in the competition. Harry Jones was pretty good too, backing up well to score twice and sensationally finding his rampaging captain to set up another. Con Foley - I reckon he goes well too, great centre paring with Simone.

I watched the Rams replay tonight - great win in Melbourne on the weekend and some mentions deserved for Tyrone Viiga who scored three and bombed one, and Apolosi Latunipulu who showed great tryline defence more than once to save certain tries which just adds to his obvious attacking prowess. Viiga isn't the biggest 8 though like a good eighthman he loves the collision and has great control at the base of the scrum. Either he or Wells would deputise soundly for Holoway next season.

Senio Toleafoa continues to frustrate, he's always close enough to the breakdown but not often enough either in it nor moving bodies out of it. I think it was Tafau who partnered and outplayed him this week in Skelton's absence as he did in round one.

Last round coming though the Eagles and Rays have already secured home semis the week after - let's hope by some funky mathematical chance the Rams get to join them as they've played really well of late. I hope Gordon is back for the Eagles soon as well as Clark for the Rays - loving the NRC in 2016!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I love your player reviews but think you've been a little harsh on Tim Buchanan on this occasion. Especially considering he wasn't playing last weekend!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the backs - you know I'd like to see Matt Lucas go to the Force as captain and really give it to the other Super Rugby scrummies as he's only going to get late minutes at the Tahs. Positive and inspiring leader, with a great passing and kicking game and fearless if not fully effective in defence. He's been great for the Rays this year and is probably in the top-5 scrumhalfs going around in Australia - incl. the Wallabies.
You make signing with the Force sound like revenge sex. The Force is where you go when you are jilted by your lover the Tahs. You get straight into bed the starting side and instantly become promiscuous captain.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I love your player reviews but think you've been a little harsh on Tim Buchanan on this occasion. Especially considering he wasn't playing last weekend!
Too right and my apologies, he was originally named to play though it was Hanigan and McCauley at lock - Hanigan did manage his usual lineout stealing quota though it was McCauley who struggled against the big boys. Mea culpa.
You make signing with the Force sound like revenge sex. The Force is where you go when you are jilted by your lover the Tahs. You get straight into bed the starting side and instantly become promiscuous captain.
you could take it that way Forcefield, as the controlling body ARU sits idly by as quality players drain away without adequate replacement. With Mathewson gone (plus Alcock and Godwin to Brumbies, Mafi to Castres and Nathan Charles released) you could use both a quality halfback and good leader - you haven't even got a single hooker on the books yet! My comment was intended as a win-win option for player and club, it's not as though Perth is going to be able to produce its own talent while the east coast teams stockpile theirs. With either Jake Gordon or Matt Lucas missing out on game day and Scott Gale unsigned, the ARU should move someone West - not to mention that hookers such Hugh Roach, Robbie Abel and Siliva Siliva will also be third-stringers while the Force still contemplates resigning Tessman...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Quietly a bit excited for the Tahs next season. We've got a fair bit of new talent coming through - Simone is very exciting, Fitzpatrick is in form, as is Gordon and Lucas. Throw in the good form of Hanigan and Dempsey, Robertson getting test experience, and it all looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.