• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Article on foxsports says broken arm might mean TPN returns to aus but it would be complicated because Fitzpatrick is signed to the Tahs according to the article http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

If Taf was playing for the Waratahs from say round three onwards, we might give the comp a real shake if some players keep progressing at the rate they are. If we look at putting out a team like this, you'd have to think we'd have a shot at it:

1. Ryan/Ta'avao 2. TPN/Latu 3. Kepu/Robertson
4. Hanigan 5. Skelton/Mumm
6. Dempsey/Mumm 8. Holloway/Viiga 7. Hooper/Wells
9. Phipps/Lucas/Gordon 10. Foley/Hegarty
12. Simone/Horwitz 13. Folau/C Foley
11. Naiyaravoro/Horne 15. Kellaway 14. Robinson

I'd love another decent lock and a back-up for Kellaway and Robinson (though you can always drop Folau back) but a really fast winger with kicking skills would not go amiss.

But right now, given what we've seen in the NRC, that team could be very, very competitive. I thought that this year (2017) was going to be for rebuilding, but maybe it will be something better than that.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The idea Taf takes a sabbatical and gets all his injuries fixed has a lot of merit. And a good rest at 31 years of age, which might prolong his career a coupla years.

I'm sure Latu/Roach/Fitzpatrick won't have any trouble getting a gig elsewhere in 2018, the Ponies'll be looking for rakes about then when Saia and Bongo get moved on.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
1. Ryan/Ta'avao 2. TPN/Latu 3. Kepu/Robertson
4. Hanigan 5. Skelton/Mumm
6. Dempsey/Mumm 8. Holloway/Viiga 7. Hooper/Wells
9. Phipps/Lucas/Gordon 10. Foley/Hegarty
12. Simone/Horwitz 13. Folau/C Foley
11. Naiyaravoro/Horne 15. Kellaway 14. Robinson

But right now, given what we've seen in the NRC, that team could be very, very competitive. I thought that this year (2017) was going to be for rebuilding, but maybe it will be something better than that.

Hawko I reckon from what I've read this morning about TPN is that the plan would be to let his arm heal for the rest of this calendar year, allowing him to either play overseas (Bristol, UK) or freshen up until the start of the next rugby championship, rather than play Super Rugby in 2017.

I'll also finally concede that Fitzpatrick has probably in fact signed with the Tahs for 17/18, though the sources were both Foxsports/News rather than anything reknowningly credible. On that basis I simply can't imagine the ARU allowing TPN to consider playing at the Tahs as the Force still has not signed a hooker for 2017 after releasing Nathan Charles. It's going to be competitive at Moore Park this summer with TPN's backup for most of 2016 Hugh Roach looking like slipping to third on the hooking ladder having missed the entire NRC to date with injury.

I'm also a little concerned about Ta'Avoa's inclusion as a backup LHP as I'm unsure whether he's spent any time there. To be honest, I'd be concerned with his inclusion as a backup THP too but that could be a reality if Tom Robbo is in fact being groomed to play both sides. I don't mind seeing Viiga's inclusion as a backup to Holloway though, the round 7 game against the Eagles will show us what he can do against an agile and not-far-off Super Rugby strength forward pack.

On the wing I'd have Naiyaravoro in 14 with Robinson on the bench - though the latter has to be more than a pure finisher. With reference to your wish for a fast big-kicking winger though, and the fact the ageing Robinson is only signed for one more season I think it'll be either Harry Jones stepping up (preferred) or another league import stepping in (not preferred) before the end of 2017.

Going back to Working Class Rugger's comments on Harry Jones kicking of late - which are absolutely right - I think in this year's NRC he hasn't been required to kick long very often - the situation just hasn't demanded it. Irea Simone does most of the touch finders, otherwise I'd rather see Jones attempt a Maori sidestep than another of those little chips over the top again. If he wants to get a matchday jumper at the Tahs, he needs to show what he can do better than Robinson, rather than just copy him.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
It would be difficult but I can't imagine TPN ever desiring to play for another Super Rugby team. One more season at the Tahs and he would become their most capped player ever. So can the ARU realistically demand he plays for the Force when he has overseas offers and is eligible for Wallabies anyway? They just don't have the clout to make such demands on a player like TPN, in fact I'd suggest TPN has all the hand in this situation.

If he takes a sabbatical for instance. He could still be signed to the Tahs as far as SANZAAR are concerned, like I imagine all EPS and development squad players are yet not not contributing to ARU enforced salary caps. He could then play as injury cover after the June test series and be eligible for finals.

T

TOCC

If the Tahs have filled their squad and and spent their salary cap then the ARU don't have to demand anything, it could simply be a case of the Tahs not been in a position to offer him a role..

But, going on the Tahs signing Palu on a 'WTS contract' in 2016, nothing would surprise me..

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Seems odd that TPN's destination overseas hasn't been announced yet, even before it was discovered he had the injury. Since the Waratahs seem to have farewelled him why not announce it? Not finalised perhaps?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems odd that TPN's destination overseas hasn't been announced yet, even before it was discovered he had the injury. Since the Waratahs seem to have farewelled him why not announce it? Not finalised perhaps?

Waiting for a better 11th hour deal? Sounds like the logistics are agreed on but nothing is signed.

This is in everyone's best interested because TPN has some degree of flexibility and the club won't have an injured player on the books (which is how it panned out).

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I find it difficult to believe that Jason Little would play for anyone other than te Reds.

Or Stirling Mortlock for anyone other than the Brumbies.

Or George Smith for other than the Brumbies.

But the professional game sure puts a spin on things.
In my defence I did say I can not believe he would DESIRE to play for another Super Rugby team. I doubt Smith truly desires to represent QLD for example.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
I find it difficult to believe that Jason Little would play for anyone other than te Reds.

Or Stirling Mortlock for anyone other than the Brumbies.

Or George Smith for other than the Brumbies.

But the professional game sure puts a spin on things.

It was the professional game that got them to the Brumbies, or course. A good Gordon boy and a good Manly boy respectively.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It has been in the papers as Bristol, but with his broken arm, i don't think he would pass the medicals at the moment

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
It has been in the papers as Bristol, but with his broken arm, i don't think he would pass the medicals at the moment

I'd read rumours of Bristol as well but hadn't seen anything official and looked on the Bristol website and saw no mention of it there so was wondering. Disappointing to have the injury to hold these things up, he has certainly deserved the opportunity to go over there.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I won't say who but we've lost a player from the squad as hes been told he'll never play rugby again from medical staff.

You never like to see that happen.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I won't say who but we've lost a player from the squad as hes been told he'll never play rugby again from medical staff.

You never like to see that happen.

Jim Stewart's neck injury more serious than we all thought?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On a happier note. Simone is beginning to look like he's just playing with teams now. Was impressed with him throughout the SS this year but seems to have taken the step up with ease for the NRC. I'm thinking a 12/13 combo of him and Folau is beginning to look disturbingly good.
Yes you don't ignore that sort of form Simone is showing. He is a shoe in to start as 12 in trial games and keeps that form will be destined for higher honours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.