• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What sort of contract does Simone have? Would he start straight away with big TN and Reece Robinson part of the full time squad?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like your 15 - one of the most balanced in years. Only person I'd like to review is Mumm more due to age and looking forward.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Really like your 15 - one of the most balanced in years. Only person I'd like to review is Mumm more due to age and looking forward.

I think he is needed for his experience (and Power's)

“They will help to develop and nurture the next generation of NSW locks in Ned Hanigan, Senio Toleafoa, Ryan McCauley and Will Skelton.”

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Robertson will be converting to LHP, and will likely take Ryan's spot. Also I'm starting to think Jones offers more than Kellaway who seems to have lost that extra pace that made him outstanding back in 2014.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Robertson will be converting to LHP, and will likely take Ryan's spot. Also I'm starting to think Jones offers more than Kellaway who seems to have lost that extra pace that made him outstanding back in 2014.

Kellaway looks to be playing on one leg at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised to see him holding a knee surgery booking for a couple of days after the NRC final

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kellaway looks to be playing on one leg at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised to see him holding a knee surgery booking for a couple of days after the NRC final

Well, he has been injured a lot. Personally, I don't understand how Gus Roberts isn't the Country fullback. Play Kellaway on the wing and get your best guys on the field!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, he has been injured a lot. Personally, I don't understand how Gus Roberts isn't the Country fullback. Play Kellaway on the wing and get your best guys on the field!

Kellaway, Newsome and Robinson are clearly the best back three they have available.

Gus Roberts has played well and offers excellent versatility from the bench. Kellaway is a class above him though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would personally be very surprised to see Simone start round 1.

Not due to talent, but this just isn't usually how things seem to go at the Waratahs and Reds. You don't get players emerging from lower grades in one preseason, they've got way more depth and incumbents who have (arguably rightly) earned first crack.

If Hodge, for example, signed to the Tahs I think we would've barely cited him so far and he certainly wouldn't be a Wallaby starter. He'd probably have taken an extra year to break through - which isn't the WORST thing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kellaway, Newsome and Robinson are clearly the best back three they have available.

Gus Roberts has played well and offers excellent versatility from the bench. Kellaway is a class above him though.

For mine, Newsome has good size, is physical and fast, and does good things, makes some real howler errors.

I think Newsome is your classic 'high ceiling, low floor' player and Gus is probably a 'low ceiling, high floor' player, few mistakes but you won't get those impressive flashes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He was excellent all S15, we didn't seem to lose anything with Folau playing 13.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Simone is as good a chance as anyone.

The first choice last year (Beale) is gone and after his injury the position was filled by Horne (who will start somewhere) and Horwitz.

With a full preseason I see no reason why Simone can't jump ahead of Horwitz. Gibson could easily be thinking that will be the case now.

I think it will boil down to whether Gibson prefers Simone at 12 and Horne on the wing or Horne at 12 and Robinson/Naiyaravoro/Jones/Clark on the wing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Simone is as good a chance as anyone.

The first choice last year (Beale) is gone and after his injury the position was filled by Horne (who will start somewhere) and Horwitz.

With a full preseason I see no reason why Simone can't jump ahead of Horwitz. Gibson could easily be thinking that will be the case now.

I think it will boil down to whether Gibson prefers Simone at 12 and Horne on the wing or Horne at 12 and Robinson/Naiyaravoro/Jones/Clark on the wing.

My biggest concern is our expectations of the guy, as good as he looks, he still has learning to do

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, he's a talent but just as an example, he missed a quarter of the tackles he attempted in the NRC. That's a fair chunk - and just NRC.

Not sure if that's what you want outside Foley and inside Izzy?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, he's a talent but just as an example, he missed a quarter of the tackles he attempted in the NRC. That's a fair chunk - and just NRC.

Not sure if that's what you want outside Foley and inside Izzy?
That doesn't make him any different to Beale who always switched with Horne in defence. Simone has the kicking game to defend on the wing and does a decent job of pilfering like Speight.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know about alphabet on the wing, i think he put on too much everywhere (including between the ears) after scotland. He'd need to put in some hefty performances to make the 23 after last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given Naiyaravoro will arrive as the season is starting I think he will need to force his way into the side with good performances.

Given the improvement of Robinson and the potential that Simone plays 12 and Horne stays on the wing it could be a struggle for Naiyaravoro to get into the starting XV early in the year.

Robinson has come on in leaps and bounds in the NRC. I expect he'll be a much better Super Rugby option in 2017 than he was this year.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Not only Robinson in the NRC but also Jones. Is Harry heading down the sevens path or looking to play Super Rugby?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He had his Tahs contract upgraded from supplementary squad to EPS for 2017.

I think Jones could be pushing for cover if say Kellaway got injured as definitely deserves to be in the mix for possible bench spot or cover for injuries as player who definitely has continued to improve. And we all know how players like Holloway, Kellaway and Dempsey performed last year when finally got decent game time. Like to see how Jones might perform at the main dance this year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would personally be very surprised to see Simone start round 1.

Not due to talent, but this just isn't usually how things seem to go at the Waratahs and Reds. You don't get players emerging from lower grades in one preseason, they've got way more depth and incumbents who have (arguably rightly) earned first crack.

If Hodge, for example, signed to the Tahs I think we would've barely cited him so far and he certainly wouldn't be a Wallaby starter. He'd probably have taken an extra year to break through - which isn't the WORST thing.

That is what trial matches are for.....hence lets see how Simone goes in trial games from bench or starting....but shows his mettle in trial games you would be crazy not to start him as what is the rule about he should have played Xyz or something for not starting someone who is in form....just sounds like the 'rule' or thinking behind it needs to be challenged imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.