• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's one way of looking at it.

Another, more optimistic, way is to say we pushed the Aussie frontrunners hard in Canberra, nearly edged the defending champs after a gutsy comeback, ground out a win away against a resurgent Queensland, and then came close to another comeback win against a good Rebels side.

I think the truth, as usual, is somewhere in between. It's certainly not rosy, but I don't think it is as bad as some on here are making out.

i have one question for you - how far away did you think the home crowd were from booing the tahs yesterday? because it felt pretty close and just like previous seasons.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
i have one question for you - how far away did you think the home crowd were from booing the tahs yesterday? because it felt pretty close and just like previous seasons.

Really? No I don't think we are close to that at all.

At least our mistakes were made trying to play with speed, width and endeavour.

The only time I've ever heard booing at SFS was against the Cheetahs in 2011, where they made a shitload of mistakes while trying to play dour, conservative footy. THAT was the main reason why the boos came- they were trying to play shithouse rugby, but couldn't even manage that.

I think people tend to have short memories. I think our style is still FAR more attractive than what we played pre-Cheika.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

The only time I've ever heard booing at SFS was against the Cheetahs in 2011, where they made a shitload of mistakes while trying to play dour, conservative footy. THAT was the main reason why the boos came- they were trying to play shithouse rugby, but couldn't even manage that.

I think people tend to have short memories. I think our style is still FAR more attractive than what we played pre-Cheika.

From what I heard the were only booing certain decisions, not the overall team. I was up in bay 28, so can't say I heard everything.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

ATN the style is a wee bit better than pre Chek.

But shit the way it is going with Gibson at the helm the Tahs are heading well and truly back to the pre Chek days.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well I think we can forget this year from a title point of view, which realistically was probably always the case given the personell we lost. Supporters were always hopeful (as I was) but aren't all supporters of teams at the start of a new season.

However, all is not lost if we can improve from here as the season goes on, knock of the odd team that we shouldn't, finish mid-table and, most importantly, with half a dozen new, young players quickly stepping up to becoming top line super rugby players.

We are already some of the way there, with the potential being shown by Roach, Robertson, Dempsey, Holloway, Horwitz (I know he had a mare on Sunday, but that can happen with any young player, he'd been good till then) and Robinson. And we still need to get a look at Hanigan, Wilkins, Stewart and Kellaway. If these blokes can develop as the season goes on, it's a great stepping stone to the future.

A lot now comes down to Gibson. Cheika and others have had a good look at him over the last couple of years, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. If he can lift the general standard as the season goes on, get some of the older players to re-find their hunger, and have these young blokes develope the skills and confidence to be top super rugby payers, the season certainly won't be a waste.

Call me the eternal optimist, but that's how I see it. I'm a great believer that out of a setback comes an opportunity.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Froggy - good post.

Rugby fans are fickle. If their team is winning (most of the time) there will be bums on seats. If not, they would rather stay at home and watch the telly (other than the diehards thankfully).

The Tahs, under Chek had 2 fantastic seasons. Sure some players have gone. The culture should still be in place.

It is hard to understand where it went !!!

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
And we still need to get a look at Hanigan, Wilkins, Stewart and Kellaway. If these blokes can develop as the season goes on, it's a great stepping stone to the future.

I wouldn't be looking past Toleafoa either judging on his NRC and preseason, he's just behind some very similar, more developed players in Skelton & Lousi

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Read that the Tahs are wilting under Gibbo. I feel sorry for the guy, every man and his dog knew they weren't going to be as good as team as the last couple years, let alone better.

A tired, injured Foley, Beale out of position at 10, No steady AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) outwide, no impact down the wing plays from Naiyaravoro, Folau feeling the pressure due to the state of the guys inside him (No foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc).

Lost Kepu without a real, solid backup. Lost tpn to injury. Robinson, Mumm and Dennis are only getting older and less effective. Mumm is better off the bench with a bit of speed. Skelton of shape and without his tag team with Poitgeiter. Palu only here because he was too injured to fulfil his french contract.

The only shining light coming through is Holloway atm. It's not the Coaches fault that the top cattle moved on. When you replace World class players with rookies then der..you're going to struggle a bit. Almost felt sorry for RG sometimes as the same thing happened at the Reds. Couldnt effectively fill the gaps left by the 'stars', and even the guys left over struggle with injury ...RG lost Douglas, Slipper and Gill to injury first up, Gibson lost TPN, Foley & Horne

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Naiyaravoro will be back in June. Wouldn't be available to play finals (still need 4 games? Or did it change when it went from 16 games to 15), but if you're still in contention he will help that push.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Read that the Tahs are wilting under Gibbo. I feel sorry for the guy, every man and his dog knew they weren't going to be as good as team as the last couple years, let alone better.

Gibson is in charge of recruitment, he's responsible for Ta'avao, Guildford, lack of props.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Gibson is in charge of recruitment, he's responsible for Ta'avao, Guildford, lack of props.

But how long has he been in charge?
I would be interested in the recruitment process over the last 5 years that allowed this to happen.Surely the writing was on the wall with regards to the aging props.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
ARU is responsible for the contracting of all top players. The Super Rugby sides just have to go along with the price set. Gibson can't be blamed for him leaving (money and family time), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) leabing (money), Foley doing Japan (money), poitgeiter leaving (import 2 yr limit), Palu getting injured (old) TPN getting injured (injury prone)

Paddy Ryan and Jeremy Tilse have been around for a lot of coaches.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That is VolvoVolvo and Ala'alatoa that have left the Tahs for the CruSadists. In return we get Ta'avao and Guildford.

Where was Gibson before he came to Australia? Is this a Dingo Deans Mark 2 fifth columnist plant from NZ sent to destabilise Aust rugby?

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think we know if it's a bet that has been won or lost yet though.

At the moment, Guildford is not showing any more than we couldn't have got a local talented winger (Harry Jones) with less risk. People have been defending him with his 'work- rate' but he is honestly making minimal impact. I've never seen an All Black winger less likely to break a tackle and struggle with fundamentals like passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.