• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Roche injured? Lucky to have the Bye next week.

Will we see Hildebrand start and who is now the bench and backup #2?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Porecki signed a new deal with one of the clubs a couple of weeks ago Dave, might have been Exeter or the Not Nots. Pyle signed an extension to Stade Francais and looks like he's being groomed by Papé to take a Blue top into international Rugby. While Greg has another year on his Glasgow deal and is likely to be a required player with Racing Metro having bought out Nakarawa's contract.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is it just a coincidence that when Daryl Gibson played for the ABs (1999-2002) the Wobblies had a win rate against the AB's that was 10% higher than their historical average?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Porecki signed a new deal with one of the clubs a couple of weeks ago Dave, might have been Exeter or the Not Nots. Pyle signed an extension to Stade Francais and looks like he's being groomed by Papé to take a Blue top into international Rugby. While Greg has another year on his Glasgow deal and is likely to be a required player with Racing Metro having bought out Nakarawa's contract.
Porecki is 2 years London Irish.
The otgers not sure.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My point is we have 30 year olds on the padock, and few around 25. Some good taleny off sure because we kept wrong players.
Jordy Reid got through a heap at 6 tonight, havent seen enough of Dempsey yet people say a 6, others say a 7.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Players starting to enter their prime, find this frustrating.
Even more so when the likes of Ala'alatoa, and Sio are also lost.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think reports of the Waratahs downfall are slightly overstated.

They aren't as good as they were last year. But they haven't dropped off a cliff, as some have said. They are 2-3, but in reality they could be 4-1 if they could effectively close out games.

They have lost Cheika, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kepu, JacPot, Betham, Naiyaravoro. In the end that drop-off in class, while not disastrous, has been the difference between winning and losing close games.

The basic skills are a step down. The set piece is a step down. Defence is a step down. It's not rocket science.

I think people overstate how good we were last year, too. Even with those incredible players we still lost five times and the wheels came off a bit in the end.

Last year we beat the Rebels at home, 18-16. Now we've lost to them 21-17. I think that's a decent illustration of how things have changed over the past 12 months.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think reports of the Waratahs downfall are slightly overstated.

They aren't as good as they were last year. But they haven't dropped off a cliff, as some have said. They are 2-3, but in reality they could be 4-1 if they could effectively close out games.

They have lost Cheika, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kepu, JacPot, Betham, Naiyaravoro. In the end that drop-off in class, while not disastrous, has been the difference between winning and losing close games.

The basic skills are a step down. The set piece is a step down. Defence is a step down. It's not rocket science.

I think people overstate how good we were last year, too. Even with those incredible players we still lost five times and the wheels came off a bit in the end.

Last year we beat the Rebels at home, 18-16. Now we've lost to them 21-17. I think that's a decent illustration of how things have changed over the past 12 months.
Last year we lost 5 times,twice to the Force who only won one other game all year.
This year,we played well against the hapless Reds,had our pants pulled down by Brumbies,were embarrassed by the highlanders until they cleared their bench, struggled and were lucky to sneak a win from the Reds,and then flogged again by the Rebels until they deemed the game won and tried to wind the clock down.

They might not have fallen off a cliff,but at the very least they are a crumpled mess at the bottom of a flight of stairs ATM.

They have the bulk of last years squad,so logicaly they should be able to improve.
And they need to,a lot.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This year,we played well against the hapless Reds,had our pants pulled down by Brumbies,were embarrassed by the highlanders until they cleared their bench, struggled and were lucky to sneak a win from the Reds,and then flogged again by the Rebels until they deemed the game won and tried to wind the clock down.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another, more optimistic, way is to say we pushed the Aussie frontrunners hard in Canberra, nearly edged the defending champs after a gutsy comeback, ground out a win away against a resurgent Queensland, and then came close to another comeback win against a good Rebels side.

I think the truth, as usual, is somewhere in between. It's certainly not rosy, but I don't think it is as bad as some on here are making out.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
true, but in the end,our perceptions of how they play fade,and they are judged on results.
So far they have only beaten the Reds, who are in for a long year.
They are long odds to make the finals this year IMO.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I come back to the Question: WHERE IS JIM STEWART? Horwitz was pretty woeful, really struggling with presence in most of his collisions and either making handling errors himself or throwing passes to force errors. Stewart is completely untested I know, but we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Matty Lucas hasn't let us down so far, I'm very impressed. Roach was pretty solid at hooker, his set piece was pretty immaculate compared to some of the predictions on this forum. Is he injured??

Skelton really needs to shake this form slump quick.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I come back to the Question: WHERE IS JIM STEWART? Horwitz was pretty woeful, really struggling with presence in most of his collisions and either making handling errors himself or throwing passes to force errors. Stewart is completely untested I know, but we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Matty Lucas hasn't let us down so far, I'm very impressed. Roach was pretty solid at hooker, his set piece was pretty immaculate compared to some of the predictions on this forum. Is he injured??

Skelton really needs to shake this form slump quick.

Stewart is a 13, Horwitz is there to be that 10/12 extra boot & ball player

I think Stewart could have been given/will be given some time if Beale was playing 12 as 13 cover, if not starting depending on injuries, but not outside Horwitz

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Horwitz is definitely making too many handling errors but he created one of the Tahs two tries and his defence has been solid.

I rate Jim Stewart but potentially he's more of a 13 than 12 and Horwitz has only started 4 games and played 5 in total. I hardly think it is time to decide he's not up to it and move on.

Pretty woeful and really struggling just don't seem like an accurate report card for Dave Horwitz after 5 games.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Horwitz is definitely making too many handling errors but he created one of the Tahs two tries and his defence has been solid.
.........Pretty woeful and really struggling just don't seem like an accurate report card for Dave Horwitz after 5 games.
He has been poor with the ball in hand.
He misses 30% of tackles attempted.
I'm not saying he should be cut,just that he is struggling at this next level .
He needs to dramatically improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.