• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Guildford looked excellent in the trials, was good in the first couple of games and then poor in the first half against the Highlanders and terrible against the Rebels. He certainly needs to turn that form around quickly. Personally I'd be giving Kellaway a crack ahead of him next game.

Skills were lacking across the whole team against the Rebels. There were so many bounce passes and dropped balls.

I think Carraro has been poor and his defence which is normally his strong point has been lacking.

Assuming Beale returns against the Brumbies I'd be playing him at fullback and moving Folau to 13.

Phipps, Foley, Kellaway/Guildford, Horwitz, Folau, Robinson, Beale.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Guildford had a mare, but he had a mare trying to do stuff, he wasn't sitting out on the wing wish'in and hope'in for the ball to come out his way. To drop the ball in your second touch is a play means you had the effort to be still in play looking for the ball

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It does feel to me that problems that exist across the whole team in terms of poor performances and executions of skills are being focused on a few specific players who weren't popular existing players or popular recruits to begin with.

Our starting scrum was fine against the Rebels yet still Ta'avao copped criticism for it after the loss. The penalties came at the end with our replacement scrum on the field.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
gibsons comments in the press ain't a good look and it's a bit disappointing tbh.

jones philosophy doesn't promote poor ball handling iirc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gibson is in charge of recruitment, he's responsible for Ta'avao, Guildford, lack of props.

And what is happening on the field is directly down to him. The poor passing, poor handling, backs running into each other, poor scrum all speak of a near enough is good enough environment at training. Not to mention a poor appointment of a scrum coach (which is also down to the head coach)

It might be harsh, but in the world of professional sport, the buck stops with the head coach. No way in two years should we have gone from champs to chumps.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And what is happening on the field is directly down to him. The poor passing, poor handling, backs running into each other, poor scrum all speak of a near enough is good enough environment at training. Not to mention a poor appointment of a scrum coach (which is also down to the head coach)

It might be harsh, but in the world of professional sport, the buck stops with the head coach. No way in two years should we have gone from champs to chumps.

I do think the transition will happen and Gibson's tweaks will settle in and were necessary to the attack, I think at the moment there are some decisions being made that aren't there.

Gibson appears to be trying to move to a more "Crusader like/Kiwi" ball movement structure, less of total structure Aus rugby standard; and watching the Kiwi sides at the moment it makes sense to build skills and confidence into those structures because turnover ball is the most likely moment to get on the front foot and get mismatches. We are getting the line breaks, we just aren't finishing enough off.

Watching the scrums, they have been improving week on week, last week we weren't troubled on defensive scrums and took the judicious option of channel one ball on most attacking scrums. A smart transitory option.

From memory the only real scrum penalty was against Ryan after a long defensive scrum hold and that was pretty random, the ref could have just as easily gone "buggered if I know, use it!"

But like Cheika's first season, I expect to see severe ups and downs, with glimpses of what might be; and lots of kiddies being blooded

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
I am surprised that James Hilterbrand has been awarded a Waratah's contract. How can the 4th best Waratah Hooker be ineligible for the Wallaby's. Should he be listed a marquee player with Zac Guilford.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
When it comes to injury cover, the ARU gives a lot more leeway as long as they're playing in Australia.

When Weeks and Rodzilla went down in 2012, the Rebels were denied permission to sign Somerville, who was playing club Rugby in NZ at the time, while were given permission to sign Steve Fualau in 2014 when Tom Sexton did his ACL despite having played 7s for Samoa and hence Australian ineligible.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm not keen on a new 55k stadium.,Unless they have some creative designing it would feel very empty and souless during a typical Tahs/Roosters/SydneyFC game. I'd prefer they refurbished Allianz and kept the current seating size.

If Allianz needs to close (refurbished or knocked down) ANZ isn't ideal and the Kippax lake is a political minefield. Perhaps they could build a temporary stadium on the old Agricultural Ground site in Fox Studios. It's highlighted in green on the bottom right of this:

image.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This 55k stadium is a perfect example of the absurdity of politics.
As it stands now, the NSW Government is proposing to spend a squillion dollars (yep, a fucking squillion!) on a stadium that NONE of their tenants support.
Not one!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This 55k stadium is a perfect example of the absurdity of politics.
As it stands now, the NSW Government is proposing to spend a squillion dollars (yep, a fucking squillion!) on a stadium that NONE of their tenants support.
Not one!

Well they shelled out $38-odd million for a fucking useless bridge in that pic no-one uses. Clearly the stadium is important for some Stadium Developers, ahem, "stakeholders".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
How absurd was it to spend $40m on bribes for FIFA officials in a Quixotic endeavour to try and secure more than 1 vote for the Diveball world cup?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well they shelled out $38-odd million for a fucking useless bridge in that pic no-one uses. Clearly the stadium is important for some Stadium Developers, ahem, "stakeholders".

I've used it. So it just paid for itself.

Although,that is one fucking nice bridge!
Shame it(currently) starts near nothing and goes nowhere:)

Ah! Now we see the bias inherent in the system! Just because it starts WEST of Anzac Parade you "rugby people" want nothing to do with it!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.