• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Timani confirmed to start at Montpellier on Dec 2.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-for-champagne-and-caviar-20131107-2x4f0.html

I hope the constant grind of the Top 14 drills in some consistent work rate and lifts his effectiveness along with improving general ball skills. He could be an asset if these things happen.

Doubtful. Top 14 is a similar standard to Super Rugby but it's a different kind of game with different expectations.

One thing about the Top 14 is they're happy for a fat, lazy tight forward to be a fat, lazy tight forward. Plenty guys running about in starting jerseys in France look like they need Jenny Craig.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think I would have liked to see a video of their training where there was more evidence of low body height and leg drive. Were they told to do their wrestling standing upright?

First drill is a pretty common warm up (at least here, there's a lot of wrestling influence on rugby in the northeast USA) to activate the core stabilizers and get some blood/adrenaline flowing. It's good practice for keeping your feet/balance in contact and adjusting to the tackler in that regard.

Second drill looked like it was entirely about leg drive and body height. On that note, who is the skinny guy embarrassing the Sita Timani lookalike?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Watched the Tahs train today.

Cheika was in good form. He said (sprinkle in a few colorful adjectives) that he wasn't interested in just getting some of the good stats the Tahs got last season but they had to convert them into victories. In particular they had to have people backing up guys making breaks because transforming opportunities into tries was poor in 2013.

He did a lot of exercises towards that end and tore strips off them especially the invited and EPS players; not that the contracted players got cut any slack.

He said that they were all in competition with the guys standing next to them (contracted players to start, EPS players to be next cab off the rank if there are injuries and others to put their hands up for EPS spots.)

Therefore they would have to pull their fingers out or they would miss out.

There is still a bit of mystery about who is in the EPS and even what is the definitive group of contracted players—but that's what Cheika wants: a bit of competitive tension.

Russell Fairfax (who is now working with the Tahs media group) told me that he would put up the EPS etc details when Cheika released the names.

KB (Kurtley Beale) and Crawford are running dragging weights - J. Holloway and T. Gray are just doing laps - Palu is boxing - Big Willie looked lame but was still hard to stop - he must have had a cork or something else that allowed him to keep training without harm - Potgieter isn't here yet - didn't notice Ryan or Chapman.

K Beale.JPG

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Watched the Tahs train today.

Cheika was in good form. He said (sprinkle in a few colorful adjectives) that he wasn't interested in just getting some of the good stats the Tahs got last season but they had to convert them into victories. In particular they had to have people backing up guys making breaks because transforming opportunities into tries was poor in 2013.

He did a lot of exercises towards that end and tore strips off them especially the invited and EPS players; not that the contracted players got cut any slack.

He said that they were all in competition with the guys standing next to them (contracted players to start, EPS players to be next cab off the rank if there are injuries and others to put their hands up for EPS spots.)

Therefore they would have to pull their fingers out or they would miss out.

There is still a bit of mystery about who is in the EPS and even what is the definitive group of contracted players—but that's what Cheika wants: a bit of competitive tension.

Russell Fairfax (who is now working with the Tahs media group) told me that he would put up the EPS etc details when Cheika released the names.

KB (Kurtley Beale) and Crawford are running dragging weights - J. Holloway and T. Gray are just doing laps - Palu is boxing - Big Willie looked lame but was still hard to stop - he must have had a cork or something - Potgieter isn't here yet - didn't notice Ryan or Chapman.

View attachment 4276

The pic looks like training was at McKay oval.
I noted some excavation over on the usual training field: are they enlarging it and when's it due back?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
One less intern

On the matter of Russell Fairfax taking over the team media duties (though not the overall media management which is still run by Nicki Drinkwater).

At training yesterday I was yarning with Russell near the water when Jed Holloway came over to have a drink.

JH: Did you play for the Waratahs, Russell?
RF: Yeah, when I was 17.
JH: Were you a Wallaby?
RF: Yeah.
LG: … and a Kangaroo.
JH: I feel silly.

PS: There is a blog on the training session here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/waratahs-to-be-more-physcial-in-2014/

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Gutter "journalist" (what journalist cannot under the use of paragraphs?) and player sycophant Danny Weidler has printed some rumours about Beale hitting the drink. As much as I dislike Weidler and his brand of "journalism" (which seems just as much about big noting Weidler), it's not a good look for Beale at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/kurtley-beale-caught-out-on-the-sauce-20131123-2y2h6.html

Channel 9 'reporter', enough said. There's gonna be plenty of times when he hops on and off the wagon. If he can get to a point where he can manage a few drinks whilst out, then may be as good as it gets.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Having to "report" on a player dancing on tables and being a bit raucous must make an interesting change for Weilder. In the game he is more aligned to they are usually reporting on glassings, bedroom type activities in the dunnies, dunny activities performed in bedrooms and hotel corridors, drunk in charge of motor vehicles, and so on.

That being said, KB (Kurtley Beale) should have realised by now that he is living in a fishbowl and conduct himself accordingly.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The issue is not so much the behaviour, but who it is drinking.

By the sounds of it, Beale really needs to stay off the alcohol. I want to see a fit and firing Beale in top form. I don't see how this can happen until his off field issues are sorted so they don't interfere.

Regarding that, I still don't get how Beale played in the Lions series. I still think that was a complete farce. Reward for punching your captain while drunk and off injured? Playing for your national team.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Channel 9 'reporter', enough said. There's gonna be plenty of times when he hops on and off the wagon. If he can get to a point where he can manage a few drinks whilst out, then may be as good as it gets.

Yeah, I dislike Weidler. He's more of a gossip reporter than a sports journalist, and it's clear that he gives his "pals" (particularly some league "bad boys" who consistently screw up and misbehave) that talk to him favourable reporting and he tries to blast those who don't give him the time of day.

If you ever saw his columns are a few years ago, they were just a stream of consciousness with no paragraphs and poorly constructed sentences. I have no idea what the sub-editor was doing even printing them, maybe they thought it was all too hard.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The issue is not so much the behaviour, but who it is drinking.

By the sounds of it, Beale really needs to stay off the alcohol. I want to see a fit and firing Beale in top form. I don't see how this can happen until his off field issues are sorted so they don't interfere.

Regarding that, I still don't get how Beale played in the Lions series. I still think that was a complete farce. Reward for punching your captain while drunk and off injured? Playing for your national team.

i think this is what the rebels felt. he had (has) a serious problem, they wanted him to get better and the ARU (R Deans?) wanted him to play against the lions, evidently against all the advice given about what was best in beale's longterm future.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The most interesting thing about that Beale article isn't that he got silly to a socially acceptable level, it's the stub about Fergerson picking a club for 2014 after his fight on Wednesday.

The bloke's a prick, and there's no union rumours, but I'd sure love to see him play our game. Even if it was in France.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's a pity that Weidler's alleged snouts don't move in wider circles, or they may have seen KB (Kurtley Beale) early one Sunday morning recently in Centennial Park leading thousands of walkers on behalf of the vital charity the Cure For Life Foundation. Not only was he approachable, he was open and friendly and interested as to why we were walking in the event. He was a gentleman, and a fine ambassador for his sport - not that this low-dog journo would care.

Is it established beyond doubt that the story's authentic? Until it is, it has to be treated with the disdain Weidler deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.