• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
And with Sexton in the second row, that will be the biggest scrum in the comp ( perhaps in history).

I think that someone in the IRB will want the laws changed so that if you have Falefa in the front row you have to have Jonny Sexton as a lock to give the scrum balance. ;)

Seriously though, I think Falefa will be a work-in-progress for the Tahs this year in the hope he comes good for 2015 onwards. Right now we have Kepu (Australia's best scrummaging THP, though this is not saying much) and Ryan who is young and developing. Barring major injury, they'll be fighting for the 3 position. Falefa might get a couple of bench starts if he's showing promise at training, but that's all. In two full preseasons he'll have got his condition right and be ready to go in 2015/16. Guessing that Kepu will retire after the WC, that timing may be perfect if Falefa has the goods.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's money to consider and while it's possible an Aussie prop is not worth that much Northampton seem very happy with Ma'afu.

With four props in every matchday squad, Kepu has a pretty good chance of remaining on a Wallaby top up for quite a long time.

He should do pretty well out of Australian rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought the Waratahs From the Locker Room today was pretty great.

With pre-season well underway, we’re delighted to bring you episode four of our From the Locker Room series, designed to get you closer to your team. As the boys swap their runners for boots and prepare for tomorrow’s first contact session of the new season, find out the lengths that big Willie Skelton goes to in order to pull on his boots...

From the Locker Room - Issue 4

It’s not easy finding a pair of rugby boots to fit you when you wear a size 18.

It’s really tough, I’m always searching for boots, I look everywhere but they don’t make them in my size. I’m 6’ 7” to 6’ 8” and close to 140kg and yeah, my feet are big but so am I.

I haven’t worn a pair of boots designed for rugby since I was about 14 or 15. The only boots I could wear were gridiron boots and I go through them pretty fast, most just last six months. Most guys can borrow a pair of boots if they come apart in the match, not me. But that’s all about to change.

Thanks to assistant coach Daryl Gibson, I’m about to become the proud owner of my first ever custom-made pair of rugby boots. Daryl knows All Black and Crusaders’ forward Luke Romano who wears a size 17 and he sent me a pair over but they were too small.

He then called Christchurch manufacturer Laurie Blyth, who owns Frontrunner sports stores and who had some prototypes made in China. According to Laurie, the size of the lasts blew the locals away!

But even they were too small. I’m sure the next set will be right but if not I’m prepared to go to extreme measures to get a pair that fits and I could be making the longest trip of my life to get some football boots, 2135 kilometres to Christchurch in New Zealand.

Being a professional, having the right equipment is all part of the deal, so it’s important I get the proper footwear. Forwards need good traction and balance plus the ability to get around the field so finally having a comfortable pair of boots won’t harm my footy. It’s almost like losing a member of the family when your favourite and only pair of boots go missing. Once I accidentally lost a pair while moving house and I was shattered.
Thankfully I’m over the stress of finding a boot big enough, I wear what fits me. I used to get a bit jealous of what the other guys are wearing but it’s something I and my younger brothers Logan and Cameron, who are taller than me, have learned to deal with. And while I can’t wait to slip into my very own, handmade pair of boots, I want to earn a spot in the starting line up and I’d wear a pair of thongs to do that.

Will Skelton
1031-skelt-big.jpg

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Holy smokes!

I hope these junior Skeltons are signed up to the National Gold Squad. :D

There's hope for the one doing year 12 next year apparently (though he never was of Will's ilk, but he's young).

The 'little' fellow (who's the biggest) is by all accounts a gentle giant, but he's early high school and has time.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I thought the Waratahs From the Locker Room today was pretty great.

With pre-season well underway, we’re delighted to bring you episode four of our From the Locker Room

Will Skelton
1031-skelt-big.jpg

I remember young scaraby getting given a signed boot after a super game some years ago. If Skelton throws his boot into the crowd he'll wipe out one of our Wallaroos team.....:eek:....on a serious note of all the players coming through I rate him as one of the best I've seen in a long time. His improvement this year under Cheik has been extraordinary

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I remember young scaraby getting given a signed boot after a super game some years ago. If Skelton throws his boot into the crowd he'll wipe out one of our Wallaroos team...:eek:..on a serious note of all the players coming through I rate him as one of the best I've seen in a long time. His improvement this year under Cheik has been extraordinary

Absolutely.

At the start of 2013 people who had seen him play (notably Lee Grant) were saying that he had no idea how to use his size and was just a massive boy with lots of puppy fat.

By the end of last year his ability to use his physicality plus his skills (offloads etc.) were superb.

The fact that he can reach over about three players to disrupt a rolling maul is also pretty useful. ;)

I hope he doesn't go backwards in his second year like so many players seem to do after their first year. You'd hope that his rawness last year will mean that there's so much more improvement to be had just from experience and more time training in a professional environment that he's still a distance away from hitting his first plateau as a professional rugby player.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Absolutely.

At the start of 2013 people who had seen him play (notably Lee Grant) were saying that he had no idea how to use his size and was just a massive boy with lots of puppy fat.

By the end of last year his ability to use his physicality plus his skills (offloads etc.) were superb.

The fact that he can reach over about three players to disrupt a rolling maul is also pretty useful. ;)

I hope he doesn't go backwards in his second year like so many players seem to do after their first year. You'd hope that his rawness last year will mean that there's so much more improvement to be had just from experience and more time training in a professional environment that he's still a distance away from hitting his first plateau as a professional rugby player.
i think he'll be wallabies by end 2014. We all debate who will be our second rows everytime a team is selected. It would be nice to be able to see two young guys step up and put that to rest.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
i think he'll be wallabies by end 2014. We all debate who will be our second rows everytime a team is selected. It would be nice to be able to see two young guys step up and put that to rest.

Way, way too soon! Next year he will still be the third choice lock behind Douglas and Potgeiter (who was signed as a lock, not a backrower). I think he'll probably start two or three games and come on after 50 mins for the rest as a super-sub. That program will develop him nicely and give him plenty of time in the gym to develop his core strength so that his body can carry his bulk without ending up injury-prone. If he's still healthy and looking good, Link should take him on the EOYT as a non-playing development player (as NZ have done with Ardie Savea this year). He should not start as an international till 2015 at best.

Its interesting that Cheika wants a mobile lock to partner Douglas (bit like Douglas and Mumm from two years ago). That says to me he wants to move other teams around and attack down a multitude of channels again. I think I am going to enjoy watching next year.

Off topic I know, but what NZ have done with Ardie Savea is once again light year's ahead of us in terms of nurturing and developing talent. The big three coaches saw Ardie destroy us this year, marked his card for development and then kept a close eye on him. Now they have Black Seven covered through to the World Cup and beyond. McCaw, Cane and Savea with Todd in reserve! And we think we have hit a rich vein of talent at 7. Arguably, NZ is in the stronger position!

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Way, way too soon! Next year he will still be the third choice lock behind Douglas and Potgeiter (who was signed as a lock, not a backrower). I think he'll probably start two or three games and come on after 50 mins for the rest as a super-sub. That program will develop him nicely and give him plenty of time in the gym to develop his core strength so that his body can carry his bulk without ending up injury-prone. If he's still healthy and looking good, Link should take him on the EOYT as a non-playing development player (as NZ have done with Ardie Savea this year). He should not start as an international till 2015 at best.

Its interesting that Cheika wants a mobile lock to partner Douglas (bit like Douglas and Mumm from two years ago). That says to me he wants to move other teams around and attack down a multitude of channels again. I think I am going to enjoy watching next year.

Off topic I know, but what NZ have done with Ardie Savea is once again light year's ahead of us in terms of nurturing and developing talent. The big three coaches saw Ardie destroy us this year, marked his card for development and then kept a close eye on him. Now they have Black Seven covered through to the World Cup and beyond. McCaw, Cane and Savea with Todd in reserve! And we think we have hit a rich vein of talent at 7. Arguably, NZ is in the stronger position!
too true and if you truly want to scare yourself look at their 6s!!!:eek:

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

If link wants a mobile lock quite comfortable in the outside channels he need look no further than Pyle and Neville. Those two aren't afraid to get some gameday meat, as seen in their stats this year (especially Pyle).

T

TOCC

Not unless there are mass injures... Size and athleticism are one thing, but second row is still a very technical position and requires a fair bit of composure especially in the set piece

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
If link wants a mobile lock quite comfortable in the outside channels he need look no further than Pyle and Neville. Those two aren't afraid to get some gameday meat, as seen in their stats this year (especially Pyle).

Getting tries as a lock isn't something that should be praised highly. There's a reason the Rebels are still not a good team. Core skills should be adequate before getting meat.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

It is Cheika who I said wants a mobile lock to use in his gameplan. Super rugby is very different to international rugby! This is the Waratahs thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.