• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The biggest mystery in Aus rugby is surely how Peterson keeps a pro contract.

I saw him after the game on the weekend and he was in his civvies. I thought it strange as the squad members usually turn up in team wear of some sort.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Second biggest; Tilse. 8 years now?

I reckon that one is different. Tilse has been a great fourth string prop for the Tahs. Was rarely called upon, but whenever he was he never let the side down. I can't remember him being injured, or yellow carded, or doing anything particularly noteworthy. What more do you want in a squaddie prop?

Peterson on the other hand has barely got on the field. Always injured, form has been unreliable at club level, doesn't seem to offer much at all.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I reckon that one is different. Tilse has been a great fourth string prop for the Tahs. Was rarely called upon, but whenever he was he never let the side down. I can't remember him being injured, or yellow carded, or doing anything particularly noteworthy. What more do you want in a squaddie prop?

The ability to fight for a regular starting spot, perhaps? After all, if you only play ten minutes every week your chances of being injured are quite a bit smaller than most.

And remember for most of those years he was fourth string in a team requiring only three props, and wasn't good enough to go anywhere else

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If McDuling doesn't get any game time for the Reds (how many times has he been on the bench/in a touring squad/ready to play next week?) bring him home next year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If McDuling doesn't get any game time for the Reds (how many times has he been on the bench/in a touring squad/ready to play next week?) bring him home next year.

Sadly I reckon he would be no better than Peterson- a liability due to constant injury. A shame because he was a great prospect.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The ability to fight for a regular starting spot, perhaps? After all, if you only play ten minutes every week your chances of being injured are quite a bit smaller than most.

And remember for most of those years he was fourth string in a team requiring only three props, and wasn't good enough to go anywhere else

But I think that was part of the appeal to be honest. Yeah you would love your 4th prop to push for a starting spot, but then his value rises and the team cannot afford to keep him (or another player).

Tilse has always been there for the Tahs in their time of need. Having him there was like being a member of the NRMA- you only have to use him very rarely but you are glad you have that security that you can call him if things go wrong.

I don't imagine he costs a lot, nor should he. But I will be a little bit sad when he goes. Through the good times and bad, there was Jeremy Tilse. Like him or loath him, he was there- on the bench, suited in the stands or on rare occasions on the playing surface.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I agree Dave's had a bad run of injuries these last three or four years but I'd dearly like to see how he'd go on the paddock.

On Kane's case: Douglas played against the BILs last year and got a coupla runs in the RC. He then went on the EoYT and, IIRC, didn't play a minute (please correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe Kane twigged Link didn't rate him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But I think that was part of the appeal to be honest. Yeah you would love your 4th prop to push for a starting spot, but then his value rises and the team cannot afford to keep him (or another player).

Tilse has always been there for the Tahs in their time of need. Having him there was like being a member of the NRMA- you only have to use him very rarely but you are glad you have that security that you can call him if things go wrong.

I don't imagine he costs a lot, nor should he. But I will be a little bit sad when he goes. Through the good times and bad, there was Jeremy Tilse. Like him or loath him, he was there- on the bench, suited in the stands or on rare occasions on the playing surface.

Yeah, I agree with Baa Baa. Tilse has been a good squad member for the Tahs.

The fact that Kepu and Ryan have both emerged as quality young props within the squad during his time here is an indication that he's not holding back our prop development by taking up a spot.

If you have a young player in that position they either won't be ready for Super Rugby or they'll be on a development path that will see them go elsewhere for more opportunity because they'll be stuck behind Wallabies.

It would be an entirely different story if we didn't have Wallaby props ahead of Tilse. If we had a couple of Super Rugby journeymen ahead of him then it would be a mistake to keep Tilse on hand because you'd want more opportunity for young up and comers who could supersede the players ahead of them.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I'm thinking as a Wallaby selector and someone who lives in hope that props in this country will finally get the recognition they deserve, some day.

If Tilse was good enough, he could start at the Reds ahead of someone like Daley.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree Dave's had a bad run of injuries these last three or four years but I'd dearly like to see how he'd go on the paddock.

On Kane's case: Douglas played against the BILs last year and got a coupla runs in the RC. He then went on the EoYT and, IIRC, didn't play a minute (please correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe Kane twigged Link didn't rate him.

Nope, Douglas played a bit on the EOYT from recollection. Simmons was suspended for a bit, and on the flank.

Checking match stats: Douglas played off the bench against England and Wales, and got game time in both.

Let's be honest, though, Douglas was pretty bad to absolutely shocking last year for the Wallabies against the Lions, and in my opinion hasn't been in fantastic form this year either. Douglas is a huge loss for the Tahs, and a small loss for the Wallabies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Let's be honest, though, Douglas was pretty bad to absolutely shocking last year for the Wallabies against the Lions, and in my opinion hasn't been in fantastic form this year either. Douglas is a huge loss for the Tahs, and a small loss for the Wallabies.

Fuck - based on that assessment you're shooting a lot of players into the sun, Queenslanders included.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fuck - based on that assessment you're shooting a lot of players into the sun, Queenslanders included.

Just keeping it in perspective. If I was a Waratahs fan, I'd be pissed off he's going.

To keep it further in perspective, Douglas was playing worse for the Wallabies last year than Horwill, and gees, Horwill wasn't playing well.

As a Wallaby fan, it's disappointing to the depth of Australian rugby, and the strength of one of our provinces, but it's not the end of the world by any stretch for the national side. Douglas woudn't have been in my matchday 23 currently.

You'd no doubt have the same opinion if, say, the Finger Twins, or Harris, even probably Taps, etc from the Reds went overseas next year.

JackPot is a key played to re-sign now for next year for the Tahs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He signed for two years initially with an option for a 3rd I believe. He's locked in for 2015

Bloody beauty!!

Yeah, I agree with Baa Baa. Tilse has been a good squad member for the Tahs.

The fact that Kepu and Ryan have both emerged as quality young props within the squad during his time here is an indication that he's not holding back our prop development by taking up a spot.

If you have a young player in that position they either won't be ready for Super Rugby or they'll be on a development path that will see them go elsewhere for more opportunity because they'll be stuck behind Wallabies.

It would be an entirely different story if we didn't have Wallaby props ahead of Tilse. If we had a couple of Super Rugby journeymen ahead of him then it would be a mistake to keep Tilse on hand because you'd want more opportunity for young up and comers who could supersede the players ahead of them.

I'm not worried that Tilse has the back-up loosehead spot in the squad. He is 28, which is not old for a prop, just about a prop's prime. I challenge anyone, anyone, to list a game he has played for the Tahs where he has let the team down. He has limitations sure, but he always turns up and always steps up when required. He has not looked out of place in his appearances off the bench this year.

I am far more worried about developing a world class tight head prop. Kepu has gone missing for long periods this year and Ryan has had some very poor scrummaging sessions as a starter. Neither of them has even gone close to setting the world on fire. After Kepu's great showing on the EOYT last year I hoped he would go on to really claim the Wallaby 3 jumper. Right now he is reserve 3 for the Waratahs. And all the good young tight head props are at other provinces. Maybe Manu will come back from Perth, Foley is giving him no time at all; but that just raises the question "What is Foley not seeing in him or is his form just really poor?"

Reactions: BPC

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Stadium rebates are represent about 15% of total revenue.
Don't hold your breath,for the Tahs to go on the road and spread the love.
$2.3M is a lot of cash,and they can't do without it.
If anything I would guess there is more likelihood of more games at Homebush.

Parramatta stadium is floating the idea of redevelopment - it would be a much better, rectangular, stadium servicing the same area as Homebush, and perhaps keen for extra games to pay for the redevelopment. At worst, the threat might force Homebush to improve their offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But he was contracted last year too I think and didn't see a minute. I don't remember him even being good for Uni.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I agree it was a bit of a strange decision to give him a full contract, seem to remember he got the nod over Chris T-Morrison who looked far better in SS than Hodge. Think Hodge was injured last season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.