• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Waratahs Rugby Media Release

Friday March 21, 2014

NSW Waratahs squad for South Africa

NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has stuck to his winning formula in naming his 27-man squad for the team’s two-match tour of South Africa, selecting today’s winninggameday squad plus Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), Easts’ duo Jonno Lance and Tala Gray, and Norths speedster Cam Crawford to take on the Sharks and Stormers.

Utility back Lance and loose forward Pat McCutcheon have both been close to making an appearance in 2014. They’ve been named in the 25-man squad for the last two weeks, only to be omitted from the squad in the lead up to kick off.

Gray was set to make a play in the season opener before a rib injury curtailed his chances, while outside back Cam Crawford has now fully recovered from shoulder surgery.

Crawford, a 100kg winger who crossed for eight tries in seven games to notch the highest tries to games ratio in the 2013 Super Rugby season, is eager to pick up where he left off last season.

Big and powerful, backrower Gray was signed by Cheika from French Top 14 side Biarritz to provide depth in the backrow and will get his chance in the republic.

Preparing for the battle of the breakdown against their South African rivals, the coach has included seven backrowers in the 15-strong forward contingent, with skipper Dave Dennis and Jacques Potgieter also set to cover the lock position.

In the backs, Lance will provide cover for Bernard Foley at flyhalf and Israel Folau at fullback, while Crawford will cover for the outside backs.

The Tahs fly to South Africa tomorrow, where they’ll take on the Sharks at Growthpoint Park in Durban on Sunday March 30 (2am AEST), before travelling to Cape Town’s Newlands to face the Stormers (Sunday, April 6 3.10am AEST). They then return to Australia via Perth, where they meet the Western Force at NIB Stadium on Saturday April 12 (5.40pm AEST), before finally returning home to host the Bulls in a big round 10 Easter Saturday clash at Allianz Stadium (April 19, 7.40pm).

NSW Waratahs squad for South Africa

1. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Jacques Potgieter (Eastern Suburbs)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Dave Dennis (captain, Sydney University)
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
16. Tolu Latu (Sydney University)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
19. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
20. Stephen Hoiles (Randwick)
21. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
23. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
24. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
25. Tala Gray (Eastern Suburbs)
26. Jonno Lance (Eastern Suburbs)
27. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good to see Crawford working his way back in: how has he been training, Lee?

It's hard for me to judge on training as I have made some bad calls in that area. Cam really struggled in one of his comeback games a couple of weeks ago—for Gen Blue (Waratahs A) v the Argentine side, Pampas XV—despite training well.

But in that game Tala Gray looked ready to go, and McCutcheon always puts on a good game.

I'm picking that the Tahs won't make any changes to the matchday group for the past two weeks v. the Sharks (with Palu to start) but that other tourists will get a run against the Lions and the Force.

It's the kind of thing all Anzac teams do visiting the RSA and Perth because Super Rugby is more of a middle-distance race these days. The SAffer teams do it also visiting here, on their longer tours.

The Tahs have been fortunate this season to date with injuries (touch wood). Chapman's part-time influence is missing in the lineout but otherwise they haven't been affected too much.

I haven't seen my TV replay yet, but geez, the two playmaker system of Foley and Beale, and the difficulty for defenders to decide which of them to target, looked a treat against the Rebels at the ground.

I think the South Africans will employ shooters (as the Brumbies did with To'omua on Beale) and attempt to smother the Tahs all around the park before they get going.

It will be a valid method for opponents, and the success of the Tahs this year will depend a lot on how they deal with it.

And that applies especially to games out of Sydney. Their away record in recent years has been appalling and in 2014 they are 0-1, so far.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I haven't seen my TV replay yet, but geez, the two playmaker system of Foley and Beale, and the difficulty for defenders to decide which of them to target, looked a treat against the Rebels at the ground.

I regret to say that I think that is more of a reflection on the Rebels than on the Tahs.
For 7 minutes the Rebels were able to recall the Brumbies techniques from a week before and put some pressure on. But there was no class about it - it was just 100% full on physical rush defence.
It showed just how good the Brumbies were for about 20 minutes in the middle 20 minutes of the first half last week - they had just the right commitment to the tackle but with room to adjust to a pass or whatever - whereas the Rebels just tried to belt the crap out of the Tahs for about 10 minutes and were soon goneskis as a result.
The Brumbies have unlocked the weakness and there were signs of it early last night but you need to be a smart team to repeat what the Brumbies did.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I regret to say that I think that is more of a reflection on the Rebels than on the Tahs.
For 7 minutes the Rebels were able to recall the Brumbies techniques from a week before and put some pressure on. But there was no class about it - it was just 100% full on physical rush defence.
It showed just how good the Brumbies were for about 20 minutes in the middle 20 minutes of the first half last week - they had just the right commitment to the tackle but with room to adjust to a pass or whatever - whereas the Rebels just tried to belt the crap out of the Tahs for about 10 minutes and were soon goneskis as a result.
The Brumbies have unlocked the weakness and there were signs of it early last night but you need to be a smart team to repeat what the Brumbies did.

I think you'll find the Sharks perform more like the Brumbies than the Rebels with this defensive strategy. Bit of a trademark of Jake's I think.

Don't the Tahs play the Stormers in game 2, not the Lions? (see LG's post above).

Bill McLean (32)
Oh how righteous it feels to finally walk down the street in my Waratahs jerseys without having to listen to the detractors that have otherwise bagged me out for the last 3-4 years!

With the holy Trinity of St. Hoops, St. Kurts, and the newly ordained St. Izzy, how can we go wrong? The 'Holy Grail' is within site brothers and sisters ... The 'Chosen' team is finally in from wandering in the desert!

Can I get an AMEN!

LOL!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Carraro has looked good with the few touches he's had. Once that fourth try was in the bag it was a simple decision. We need to start giving other guys more game time.

As @Lindommer was saying to me at the game - Alofa might start feeling the stress of higher level rugby during the season, so Crawford's inclusion is a must. We also discussed a setup where Horne starts at 12 against the Saffer sides, just so we can mitigate their bash n barge style, and rotate Beale/Foley onto the bench.

Options, so many options...

Against the Sharks we need to play out top team, without question. Rotate Cliffy back into 8, Potgeiter into lock, shift Skelton to the bench, and put Robinson back at 1 with Kepu at 3. See whether the 10/12 axis of Beale/Foley will stand up, and if not pull one of them to fullback at halftime and bring in Horne.

Against the Stormers, put Horne at 12 and employ a short kicking game to disrupt their smother defence. With any of our back three combinations swooping on short balls or dabs through, we will cut their much-vaunted defence to pieces.

Back to the scrum - I'm really concerned that Paddy Ryan has slipped backwards - maybe Bruce Ross has done his hammy from pushing the guy so hard and is no longer able to support him - but the second row drive doesn't seem to be there either.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Back to the scrum - I'm really concerned that Paddy Ryan has slipped backwards - maybe Bruce Ross has done his hammy from pushing the guy so hard and is no longer able to support him - but the second row drive doesn't seem to be there either.
Pfitzy, you'll have to indulge an old man with fading memory. Please direct me to just one instance where I could be said to have "pushed" Paddy as a scrummager. Don't trouble yourself to list them all; just one example will do. For the life of me I cannot recall anything I have ever written about the lad that could be interpreted that way. Nor can I recall anything that I have said in private about him being a superior scrummager, although I have very frequently commented - not in print as far as I know - on a major fault which he had early in his career where he would jump backward with both feet on engagement. This appeared to be related to an inability to crouch effectively, attributable to an extremely limited range of dorsi-flexion.

I plead guilty to having commented very favourably on the non-scrummaging aspects of his play; such as his ball handling, defence and excellent mobility for a big man.

No need to rush; just select one example at your leisure and remind me of what I wrote.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ryan I could back for a while there. But Tilse has been on the also-ran list at the Tahs for eight or nine years now.

Bruce - don't split hairs. You backed him as a player. He is a prop. Therefore he should be able to do his primary job. For a while he looked like he was, but he's suffered a bit if a setback recently.

Unusual for you to desert a Uni player so quickly though.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce - don't split hairs. You backed him as a player. He is a prop. Therefore he should be able to do his primary job. For a while he looked like he was, but he's suffered a bit if a setback recently.

Unusual for you to desert a Uni player so quickly though.
Yes, most unusual, Pfitzy. In fact if you were burdened by a concern for facts, you would realise it is "unusual" for me to desert any player given that to the very best of my knowledge I have never criticised any player, Uni or otherwise, let alone deserted them since I joined this forum almost five years ago.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
How many seasons have we seen our finals hopes drift away on the basis of too few bonus points? At least it looks like that won't be the issue this year.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And I hope they have that big South African bloke running a few training sessions on running straight, drawing and passing. Beautiful skills for a man who attacks rucks like a rabid mongrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.