• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
You do realise that Adam Goodes is the current Australian of the Year?

You do also realise that Adam Goodes is a mad baseball fan and is so widely tipped to throw the first pitch that the market was withdrawn from bookmakers?

What a silly question. The three guys there are all currently the most recognisable - SBW, Del Piero and Adam Goodes, particularly if Goodes throws the first pitch then no doubt it will generate a bit of interest, or at least curiousity, from US baseball fans in AFL.

When I read at the list of players offered by the Tahs, I realised just how dumb their marketing department / management is. That they didn't even offer Beale, who likely would've been the most recognisable after Folau, is insane. Instead they offered Dennis, TPN, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hooper.

My comment was more in relation to getting the attention of the Americans to rugby. I had read that Adam Goodes was the Australian of the Year and I have heard his name mentioned in the press before but I wouldn't know what he looked like, just as a Yank wouldn't have the fainest idea who 99.9% of Aussie sports stars are except ones who have had exposure on a global scale.

I agree that the Tahs are partly to blame but why should we be surprised.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'm with @fatprop. I'd sooner drink a firkin of Budweiser Light beer than watch a bunch of million dollar a week US prima donnas desecrate the hallowed turf of the SCG while they fartarse around playing some sort of silly recreational activity closely aligned to schoolgirl rounders.

Popular in the States is it? Good - leave it there.

Probably a good thing that the possibly paid interns at Aussie Baseball Promotions company ltd seem to be about as competent in event planning as the unpaid interns at Tahs Ltd are, because that photo oppotunity just documents a collection of players of silly recreational activities that should be avoided at all costs.

Bloody good thing that the game that is played in Heaven is not represented in that rogues gallery.

Reactions: BPC

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Are you on the inside Badger? Or are you initals really BMc.

No, I have nothing to do with Tah HQ and my initials aren't BMc. I wouldn't say no to a gig at Tahs HQ, but that is unlikely as I don't have the right pedigree or connections! ;)

Anyway, despite the brickbats hurled at Tahs HQ, even they couldn't be as dopey as to knock back this free publicity so I though there had to be something more to it.

The NSWRU and ARU had better be careful as they could kill the "golden goose" by continually using Izzy as the face of rugby in promos. It could get to the stage where he gets jack of it and go overseas or back to league.

As many other have mentioned, the various admins have to get the message out there whether through traditional means or getting "creative".

All the NSW team are in Canberra for the Shield final.

What about the injured Michael Clarke?

The whole thing seems a bit wacky now.

I had read that Adam Goodes was the Australian of the Year and I have heard his name mentioned in the press before but I wouldn't know what he looked like, just as a Yank wouldn't have the fainest idea who 99.9% of Aussie sports stars are except ones who have had exposure on a global scale.

Wow, really? I find that surprising for a sports fan living in Sydney.

It could be grounds to revoke your visa/permanent residency/citizenship! :p

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Wow, really? I find that surprising for a sports fan living in Sydney.

It could be grounds to revoke your visa/permanent residency/citizenship! :p

AFL isn't my thing, the missus is keen on it but is an Eagles fan so they'd be the only players I'd know. Between rugby nerd things, GAA, cricket and EPL soccer I barely have enough time to get familiar with the local sports. That and avoiding the tabloids like a plague is probably why I'm not familiar with what he looks like. All I'd know about him is that he is passionate about indigenous rights, from hearing about the Eddie McGuire incident last year, but I'd struggle to pick him out of a line up TBH.

Hopefully Tony Abbott has stocked immigration full of his old rugby mates and they'll look favorably on me when this heresy gets reported to them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Don't know what the hullabaloo is about.

There was a Rugby player in the Photo. Who cares if that World Cup Winning Rugby Player was wearing a Jumper that looked a bit like Sylvania Bulldogs Jnr Ru jumper?

$BW is going back to rugby after this year to have another tilt at Bill.

Most Septics would not understand the difference between Mungoball and Rugby. Much of their Rugby is played in Leagues. The average Septic struggles to differentiate between Australia and New Zealand let alone beiing able to understand the subtle differences between Mungo and Rugby.
Getting Mungo exposure in US would have the same effect as promoting Rugby.

Mungo is dead internationally and it will never grow anywhere apart from PNG where it is their national sport. Stop being so paranoid about a meaningless photo that is going to be imisinterpreted by the majority of the folk who see it.

The bigger issue is (or should be) that the unpaid interns need to have more effective and creative marketing strategy to promote the game, end of story.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

There was a Rugby player in the Photo. Who cares if that World Cup Winning Rugby Player was wearing a Jumper that looked a bit like Sylvania Bulldogs Jnr Ru jumper?

Most Septics would not understand the difference between Mungoball and Rugby. Much of their Rugby is played in Leagues. The average Septic struggles to differentiate between Australia and New Zealand let alone beiing able to understand the subtle differences between Mungo and Rugby.

Mungo is dead internationally and it will never grow anywhere apart from PNG where it is their national sport. Stop being so paranoid about a meaningless photo that is going to be imisinterpreted by the majority of the folk who see it.

The bigger issue is (or should be) that the unpaid interns need to have more effective and creative marketing strategy to promote the game, end of story.

Yeah true Hugh Jarse - its not like the yanks are the most intelligent bunch. Its not like they have a website, funding, and can you even imagine if they learnt some rules and could play a bit! Ha, next you know the Canadians will giving it go.

Oh, wait - it seems that the yanks have learned a little and have a few playing some hack Top 14 French gig! Biarritz I believe is one of the teams.

Capture 5.JPG

http://usarugby.org/ - good site actually and impressive layout.

Pff - its only money at the end of the day that this is all about, nothing the ARU needs!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting. Where are the Argentinian players in the graph?

Good spot - Hadn't noticed that and there are a few Argentine's over there playing.

Its so easy overlook how much of an international game rugby really is and how wide its wings are spread.

I wonder why we are not aggressively marketing such a good product as soup which does have interest in the US.

Its funny how on two games a week of Top 14 shown on Fox sports can make you familiar with their comp!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Paynten expanded on the story on FoxSports

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...h-mlb-superstars/story-e6frf4qu-1226860457746

Folau was invited several weeks ago by organisers, and the Waratahs were enthusiastic to be involved.

On Monday night SBW, Del Piero and Goodes were also locked in but the problem was the baseballers - $34m Dodgers man Clayton Kershaw and Arizona’s Paul Goldschmidt - were not. The two rival clubs were apparently reluctant to pose up their biggest stars together.

Throughout Tuesday the photograph looked as if it would not happen, which led to Folau agreeing to “prior sponsors commitments” on his day off, according to his manager Isaac Moses. The prior commitment clashed with the 4pm call-time for the photo.

When the shoot was confirmed on Tuesday night, the Waratahs were unable to contact Folau and organisers declined the offer of NSW captain Dave Dennis or another Waratah as a replacement.

“We are very disappointed we weren’t able to be involved,” a Waratahs spokesman said.

Now yes, as soon as the baseball arseclowns were locked in, they should have found Izzy and stuck him in there. But the man made a commitment to his other sponsors, so if two prima donna basebitch clubs want to fuck people around, then they can put a light coat of oil on it and shove it up their collective arses.

Besides that, as a charming stud of a bloke once tweeted - as recently as today:

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 212

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That Top14 infograph seems wrong. There's at least 5 Scots in the top 14:

Hines, Hamilton, Strokosch, Evans and Beattie. There may be more I can't remember as well.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm with @fatprop. I'd sooner drink a firkin of Budweiser Light beer than watch a bunch of million dollar a week US prima donnas desecrate the hallowed turf of the SCG while they fartarse around playing some sort of silly recreational activity closely aligned to schoolgirl rounders.

Popular in the States is it? Good - leave it there.

Probably a good thing that the possibly paid interns at Aussie Baseball Promotions company ltd seem to be about as competent in event planning as the unpaid interns at Tahs Ltd are, because that photo oppotunity just documents a collection of players of silly recreational activities that should be avoided at all costs.

Bloody good thing that the game that is played in Heaven is not represented in that rogues gallery.

Now you have really gone too far.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Hugh, lay off the yanks. I happen to have a good deal to do with a number of them via another site and they're good blokes and they certainly know the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.