• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now the real story is known, certainly makes the Waratahs seems much less inept. They were given a last minute notice of it, and told that only one player was wanted, who had their day off and a sponsor engagement already.

They probably should've made a bigger effort to supply Izzy.........

I'm sure the Roosters would've been given the same ultimatum - "SBW or no one."

The ARU would be fuming.........

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Slim, did you bother reading the second article which @Pfitzy posted (http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...h-mlb-superstars/story-e6frf4qu-1226860457746), or are you just trolling as usual?

Folau was already locked in to do the shoot when the Diamondbacks and Dodgers started dicking around and made it seem like the shoot was never going to happen in the first place.

Folau then committed to an engagement with sponsors of his because, well, that's sort of the entire point of that arrangement from a sponsor's point of view.

Then the group organizing it all announced that the photograph was actually on.. barely 12 hours before it was supposed to happen.

Were the Waratahs supposed to tell Izzy to double back on his own sponsors at the absolute last minute as well? I'd think for just about anyone involved in the Waratahs organization not being a dick to Israel takes precedence over just about anything else.

If anything, the 'Tahs were screwed over by a short-sighted and poorly run group of "marketers" who were too focused on growing MLB in Australia to see their campaign from the angle of the millions and millions of Americans that will lay eyes on it. This aspect is somewhat understandable when you consider the actual intent of their campaign though, which is to expose Australians to a shitty American sport and not expose Americans to two shitty Australian sports, one shitty global sport and one fantastic global sport.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, did you bother reading the second article which @Pfitzy posted (http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...h-mlb-superstars/story-e6frf4qu-1226860457746), or are you just trolling as usual?

I did, and it looks like a cock up from Izzy and the Tahs on this one.........

Folau was invited several weeks ago by organisers, and the Waratahs were enthusiastic to be involved.

On Monday night SBW, Del Piero and Goodes were also locked in but the problem was the baseballers - $34m Dodgers man Clayton Kershaw and Arizona’s Paul Goldschmidt - were not. The two rival clubs were apparently reluctant to pose up their biggest stars together.

Throughout Tuesday the photograph looked as if it would not happen, which led to Folau agreeing to “prior sponsors commitments” on his day off, according to his manager Isaac Moses. The prior commitment clashed with the 4pm call-time for the photo.

When the shoot was confirmed on Tuesday night, the Waratahs were unable to contact Folau and organisers declined the offer of NSW captain Dave Dennis or another Waratah as a replacement

Angry rugby sources said despite all the confusion, the red button should have been pushed on Wednesday and Folau withdrawn from his other commitments to take a place in the photo.

This aspect is somewhat understandable when you consider the actual intent of their campaign though, which is to expose Australians to a shitty American sport and not expose Americans to two shitty Australian sports, one shitty global sport and one fantastic global sport.

Shitty American sport? :rolleyes:

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don't agree at all.

Folau should not have to lose face with his own sponsors because the organizers for the photograph couldn't get the prima donnas at the Diamondbacks/Dodgers to get their shit together.

Lost opportunity, yes. But if I was working within the Waratahs organization I'm pretty sure the lost opportunity cost is far outweighed by what is gained from not dicking around with Israel and keeping him happy.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Some good news for the Tahs, from Georgina Robinson's SMH article today:

The Waratahs may be struggling to get bums on seats at home games, but they are wielding considerably more power in the television ratings, if the early indications are anything to go by.
Fox Sports and Media Week figures from the first three Waratahs games of the Super Rugby season show the Tahs are averaging about 133,000 viewers a game, which is almost 50 per cent higher than last season.
Ratings for home games have also improved, albeit at the gentler rate of 18 per cent on last year.
The home-and-away average will take a hit during the next fortnight when the squad takes to the road for games in cities in unfriendly time zones, Durban and Cape Town, but the signs are encouraging.
It is also worth noting that for all the hype surrounding the A-League, the Sydney derby two weeks ago attracted just 94,000 viewers on Fox Sports, according to Media Week. That's just 4000 more than the Waratahs' 2013 average, which was affected by 1am games in South Africa.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/the-breakdown-cam-crawford-is-waiting-in-the-wings-for-the-waratahs-20140320-hvkhf.html#ixzz2wZMCT65x

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure the Roosters would've been given the same ultimatum - "SBW or no one."

The ARU would be fuming...

Possibly, but they're not exactly best practice either when it comes to promoting the game.

In itself it's a relatively minor issue, but it speaks of a lack of nous in terms of self-promotion.

Rugby at both provincial and national levels needs to realise that we need to attract more people to the sport, and every little thing counts - even the minor ones.

Coaches call in the 1 percenters - those little things which can make a difference when you put them all together.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Funny that 3 other codes managed to pull it off.

Everyone's doing the 99%, it's the successful ones who do the extra 1%.

We're the code that's struggling for exposure.

As I said, in itself it's a minor issue - but as a code we need to improve the way we promote ourselves across the board.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well no cricket didn't manage to pull it off. Clarke was in same situation as Folau. NRL got lucky that SBW was suspended and not in Brisbane with the Roosters. A victim of circumstance.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
So the NRL representative is a suspended Rugby World Cup winner.

He is able to represent the game on the "world stage", yet not allowed to play the game he is paid to play.

Hmmmmm...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well no cricket didn't manage to pull it off. Clarke was in same situation as Folau. NRL got lucky that SBW was suspended and not in Brisbane with the Roosters. A victim of circumstance.

Actually, cricket isn't a football code.:)

I was talking about the 3 codes i.e. AFL, soccer and league. See post #2951

We don't compete with cricket.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What do we think about playing Dennis @ 8 and Palu @ 6? Might sound trivial but for some reason Dennis seems to play better with an 8 on his back, plays heavier and dominates contact more - guess he takes on that extra responsibility an #8 as to.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Probably that you don't ever notice the 6 as much because they're doing the dirty work with the second row.

Status
Not open for further replies.