• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
I hope for his sake and the Waratahs he has done some work on his speed. Also, firstly good luck to him but it says something about what the powers that be think of the other Sydney clubs when they continue to grab players from Uni 2nds. I know the club has an amazing playing roster but surely someone question this.
I wonder this also, it seems you play first grade for university and you get a contract. I support Eastwood and for the better part of last three years they have had the most exciting and best backline (potentially biased view but at worst top 2 or 3). Yet university players have always got in. You would think one of these selection decision would swing Eastwoods way Bennets vs Kingston, John grant vs betham or hodge, Batger vs Trist throw in Sione Pikula also vs any center.The uni guys have done well but maybe with the same opportunities the other guys could of done just as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You mean put a name on the door so everyone can start counting the days until the next one?
Hey - it just occurred to me: maybe they've appointed one and have decided not to announce it thereby limiting pressure to perform between now and February.
I think you are right, they have appointed him. They just don't have the guts to announce it.
Xmas eve...........

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know it's a bit cruel to criticise a media department composed, to the best of my knowledge, of an unpaid intern but this effort released yesterday by the Waratahs Media Unit is a gem:

"Sydney’s talented young club rugby players have everything to play for this month as the HSBC Waratahs coaching team bid to fill the two remaining places in the 2013 squad."

Someone should tell the poor kid that there is just one game to go and that ten teams have already finished their season. It's a bit late to be telling players they have "everything to play for this month". Of course the document may have been just one of an accumulating pile on the desk of CEO Jason Allen who has more important things not to attend to like appointing a coach or signing up sponsors.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope for his sake and the Waratahs he has done some work on his speed. Also, firstly good luck to him but it says something about what the powers that be think of the other Sydney clubs when they continue to grab players from Uni 2nds. I know the club has an amazing playing roster but surely someone question this.
The sad reality is that Sydney University has the best rugby development program in the country. I will stand by my Beasties through and through, but the reality is that I would have a better shot at being a Wallaby if I played for Uni.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So reading through the 2012 thread and most of this one are the 2013 Tahs going to be judged from a team that;

*finished 11th
*had the worst s&c in the comp
*only won 3 games
*new coaching and management structure
*in a rebuilding phase
*focusing on local talent and development

Or is everyone going to judge them as favorites again?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
So reading through the 2012 thread and most of this one are the 2013 Tahs going to be judged from a team that;

*finished 11th
*only won 3 games
*in a rebuilding phase

How do you think they should be judged?
Where do you forecast they'll finish in 2013?

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

*finished 11th
*only won 3 games
*in a rebuilding phase

Obviously favourites, because haters gonna hate on them regardless. It's a necessary part of the rugby landscape.

Or because they have most of the Wallabies lining up for them, including the true heir to Phil Waugh, most of the rest of the forward pack, the most accurate goal-kicker, a winger who can run without tendons, etc. I'm talking myself into it already.

Gaffney's surely going to be the head coach, isn't he? It's the path of least resistance for a dithering board, since he's apparently in the job already.

Cyril Towers (30)
I wonder this also, it seems you play first grade for university and you get a contract. I support Eastwood and for the better part of last three years they have had the most exciting and best backline (potentially biased view but at worst top 2 or 3). Yet university players have always got in. You would think one of these selection decision would swing Eastwoods way Bennets vs Kingston, John grant vs betham or hodge, Batger vs Trist throw in Sione Pikula also vs any center.The uni guys have done well but maybe with the same opportunities the other guys could of done just as well.

Bennetts, Grant and Batger were all given chances at the tahs, so it wasn't lack of opportunity for them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

*finished 11th
*only won 3 games
*in a rebuilding phase

WJ you don't need me to tell you I won't be calling them as favorites!
Much as I would like the remnants to suffer for their incompetence these past seasons until they too move on I'm thinking it's a clean slate.
I suspect my benevolence will evaporate at the first sign of players officials or supporters participating in the "talk it up cup" - the only comp the Tahs have never lost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

*finished 11th
*only won 3 games
*in a rebuilding phase

Soo.. Which players went badly in 2012? Who needs to improve and who is on the chopping block if they don't improve in 2013?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

*finished 11th
*only won 3 games
*in a rebuilding phase

We won four games in 2012. Rebels x2, Force, Sharks.

The expectation will again be that we are capable of making the finals.

T

TOCC

Well the whole starting forward pack have earn't Wallaby caps in 2012 in addition to 4 members of the back-line.

Why shouldn't they be considered strong contenders?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Soo.. Which players went badly in 2012? Who needs to improve and who is on the chopping block if they don't improve in 2013?

The coach has been chopped, need other coaches chopped as well - a new local coach whose seen the Shute Sheild cattle over the past years.
The playing roster - contracts are in place so hard to chop without implications but I'd like to see the playing roster be open to all of the whole shute sheild. Call it a huge EPS, and all players are playing for their position and passion for the Tahs jersey - no resting on yeah I have a contract.

Shute Shield starts in Feb so the playing talent can be selected, and we have a full home and away season as well. Was it the ARU that introduced this years Shute Shield format, we are NSWRU so what impact would the SS have on the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.