• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Growden informs us Cheika's firming as the favourite for the Tahs' head honcho spot next year while Bret Harris in The Oz reckons Cheika's odds are drifting. Whom do we believe?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
2 to 1 in favour of Cheika

Tahs close to finalising roster, and naming new coach
THE Waratahs will announce their coach next week but will start the 2013 season without a foreign marquee star.
After suffering a huge injury toll in the last two seasons, however, the Tahs may still use the marquee slot mid-year if again struck heavily in a certain position.
The Waratahs' six-week search to replace head coach Michael Foley appears close to being resolved. It is understood a decision will be announced next week, with Michael Cheika the firm favourite to link up with current interim coach Allan Gaffney, ahead of Tim Lane.
On the playing front, the Tahs have only two vacancies left in their 30-man squad for next season. They are looking for a lock to replace Dan Vickerman, and another flanker/lock forward.
With South African halfback Sarel Pretorius returned to the Cheetahs and Atieli Pakalani released, the Waratahs have no foreign players in their 2013 squad and budget constraints mean they have no plans to recruit a marquee star from offshore.

"We are still potentially looking overseas for a foreign developing player where we are with the squad we are not looking to fill the marquee position," assistant coach Scott Bowen said.
"To use contract no.30 for a marquee player you would have been setting aside money to sign them and we are not in that position."
The introduction of the $4.5 million salary cap next season has forced many Australian Super Rugby teams to majorly cut their cloth.
Even with Pretorius, Dean Mumm, Chris Alcock, Daniel Halangahu, Rocky Elsom and Vickerman departed, the retention of other NSW players - along with a modest list of recruits headed by Michael Hooper - has left the Tahs without the funds for a foreign star.
Potential remains to use the marquee spot in a targeted way mid-season, however, if they were hit hard by injury.
"If we get busted badly in one position then we could possibly go to the ARU (and seek permission)," Bowen said. "(Former All Black) David Hill came into the Force midway through the season, and Queensland used Caleb Ralph. We wouldn't rule that out but you'd have to work through the salary cap issues."
The Waratahs will not finalise their five EPS players until September 18. Clubs are not permitted to sign EPS players until then so as to give them maximum opportunity to source full-time contracts.
Bowen said they're close to securing their 29th player but will wait until after the Shute Shield final between Souths and Sydney Uni on Saturday. The Tahs have until December to finalise the 30th player.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Growden informs us Cheika's firming as the favourite for the Tahs' head honcho spot next year while Bret Harris in The Oz reckons Cheika's odds are drifting. Whom do we believe?

The fact Cheika was offered the job a month ago would indicate he is playing silly buggers in the hope of gaining more pull in the final outcome. At this point, let's just hope someone signs and not care who.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
At schoolboy level Betham was almost on par with Beale. In fact in 2006, Beale's 3rd year in the SJC 1s, Betham had arguably the better season (as did Paddy Ryan).

But he has never really kicked on like the other two. Hope this is a sign he is reaching his considerable potential.

I thought Betham played injured that year and wasn't as good, in fact he picked up the injury in 2005 already and couldn't shake it off though he kept on playing. But you are probably right: my memory fades in and out, and he made Oz Schools for the 2nd year anyway.

Whatever - those were grand years for Joeys fans, because of the style of rugby played, and often KB (Kurtley Beale) and PB, born on the same day incidentally, often figured in attacking raids in combo. Usually this was when KB (Kurtley Beale) was fullback on defence taking advantage of his counter-attacking attributes because SJC turned over ball a lot - with Pete ranging outside him.

Pete had a top game for Tasman didn't he? And Jeremy Su'a was the scrummie. He's another that should be in a Super stable somewhere.

I'm glad that Paddy Ryan got recognised by being called into the Wobs training squad before. He was one of the best schools LHPs I ever saw. Looks like he is making a good fist of THP at the Super level, though in general play his hands are a bit hard - and he runs into traffic a bit high, not that that ever stopped anybody from becoming a Wallaby forward.

Talking of good Oz Schools LHPs and the ITM: I see that Salesi Manu is playing for North Harbour. Not Tahs related I know, but it will be good for his development. He's another who switched to THP after school: and just last year, I think, when he switched to the Rats who didn't have a healthy 1st Grade player who could play there.

Our guys benefit from playing in the ITM Cup and the Kiwis will sort a few out for us. There was talk of Michael Hodge earlier in the thread. How good is he? OK we think probably, but wouldn't it be good if he and a lot of others we are not sure about for higher honours were playing over there too so we can assess them better?

What's that you say? Why not have our own ITM thingo in Oz so we can assess players properly before we give EPS spots or even Super contracts to them?

What a good idea. Wish I had thought of that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

In my opinion the answer lies in this passage from GG's report:

Cheika emphasised the importance of being given time to create success at the Waratahs, and then to build on it to ensure a boost in interest in the team in NSW. With it would come a dramatic rise in home crowd attendances, which would improve the Waratahs' finances. Cheika could even be offered a lengthy Waratahs contract.

This seems to provide the basis for all of GG's speculation - and that is all it can be. There is no source or sources referred to with any precision at all.
It seems that Cheika emphasising the bleeding obvious (time to succeed) was so impressive that speculation he was in front in the race for appointment morphed into heightened speculation that He "could even be offered" a lengthy contract.

All this on the back of success, leading to a dramatic rise in home crowds thereby improving the Tahs finances. If he is the only coach promising this then the others don't want the job!

This is the greatest non story ever published....even by Growden: a candidate says I need time, if I do a good job that will help get the crowds back and that will help the $$$$$ - and that's considered a breakthrough??
FFS!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Seeing both Payten and GG have reported it, I'm putting my money on Cheika being the coach.

I wonder if the GG article on Link being Tahs coach was a gee up to get Cheika to hurry up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ollie Atkins apparently signed with Tahs for next season.

That would make sense from
Bowen said they're close to securing their 29th player but will wait until after the Shute Shield final between Souths and Sydney Uni on Saturday. The Tahs have until December to finalise the 30th player.

I think he's better than Liam Winton

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That would make sense I think he's better than Liam Winton

Me too, though Liam is playing the best rugby of his career IMO. Ollie, at 24 years old, 200cms and 117kgs is younger, taller and heavier than Liam and he would be the guy I would pick between the two.

I see that the departure of Sarel Pretorius is official. One would have never picked that at the beginning of the season when he was winning MOTM awards. I would have kept him, as Grayson Hart did not prove a lot to me in 2012.

I thought that Sarel was at worst a good impact player from the bench for a team that lacked X factor.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ do you think there's a chance no one wants this job?

No, the bigger problem is the term "interim" becoming "permanent" and we're stuck with Gaffney. Don't get me wrong, he is a lovely guy and good for a chat, I just worry that his grandpa like charm can translate into forward thinking.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Me too, though Liam is playing the best rugby of his career IMO. Ollie, at 24 years old, 200cms and 117kgs is younger, taller and heavier than Liam and he would be the guy I would pick between the two.

I see that the departure of Sarel Pretorius is official. One would have never picked that at the beginning of the season when he was winning MOTM awards. I would have kept him, as Grayson Hart did not prove a lot to me in 2012.

I thought that Sarel was at worst a good impact player from the bench for a team that lacked X factor.

Hart looked really good on the weekend, I wonder if Hart (and Sarel & McKibbon) were not hamstrung by a very limited game plan with specific requirements of the 9 to pop useless passes to static forwards and wait endlessly for those static forwards get into position to get smashed again.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No, the bigger problem is the term "interim" becoming "permanent" and we're stuck with Gaffney. Don't get me wrong, he is a lovely guy and good for a chat, I just worry that his grandpa like charm can translate into forward thinking.

But he won the member's lottery at one match this year, so he has a proven track record of success!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hart looked really good on the weekend, I wonder if Hart (and Sarel & McKibbon) were not hamstrung by a very limited game plan with specific requirements of the 9 to pop useless passes to static forwards and wait endlessly for those static forwards get into position to get smashed again.

Bring back Burgo! Or Steve Merrick!

Status
Not open for further replies.