• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nick Farr-Jones comments indicated that the deal with Waratahs Limited had another year or two to run and that the deal was legally binding unless something dramatic happened.

I wonder if what is happening is dramatic enough for NSWRU to step back in?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Foley to leave Tahs for Force
AAP

NSW Super Rugby head coach Michael Foley is set to leave the Waratahs to take over at the Western Force, according to reports on Tuesday.
Fairfax is reporting that the Waratahs will issue a media release on Tuesday morning to explain Foley's future after a miserable season in charge of the Waratahs.
The development follows weeks of speculation that Foley was about to accept a three-year deal at the Force, with the Perth-based franchise chasing him to take over from Richard Graham.
The Waratahs' 2012 season went from bad to worse, ending with eight consecutive losses.
Advertisement
On Monday, Waratahs chairman Edwin Zemancheff stood down.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The web department at SMH need a kick up the arse too.
Picture 3.png

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems Foley got his timing wrong - Pocock has left. Does this mean Pocock didn't want him - it was other Force players?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's CHRISTMAS IN JULY!!! I just hugged some random at the cafe..

Don't celebrate too early, Force supporters did that when we heard the Red's had signed Richard Graham.

If there is one lesson the Force learned from this, it is that it can still get worse. Matt Burke might be the next coach.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
For all I know Michael Foley could well be a competent coach - it's just that we've seen no evidence of it in Sydney. Anyone can lose eight on the trot if they don't get the bounce of the ball or the rub of the green or they're just unlucky. It happens. And those who have been prepared to point the finger of scorn should reflect on the fact that with every loss you're that much closer to a win.

So far no one has even mentioned the one participant in this rather convoluted saga who has covered himself in glory and has played an absolute blinder. I refer of course to Foley's manager, Timothy Francis (Tim) Johnston of the Firepower Sports Management Group. He managed to persuade the most hard nosed and astute group of businessmen in Australia, namely the CEO and Board of the Western Force, to sign Foles for four years, arguing quite plausibly that his client would need four seasons to be reasonably sure of getting the hang of coaching, unless he got a better offer in the meantime in which case he reserved the right to walk out on his contract.

Tim Johnston is a master salesman. He could sell snow to Eskimos; room heaters in Singapore; steak knives to Hindus. In fact I'll bet he could persuade people that putting aspirin tablets in their fuel tanks would make their cars go faster.

I remain quite hopeful that all will turn out well for the Force. After all Perth is something of an antipodean Lourdes where miracles can happen. Alan Bond wandered around penniless and in a catatonic state for years; then woke up one morning bright as a button and with his fortune restored.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
For all I know Michael Foley could well be a competent coach - it's just that we've seen no evidence of it in Sydney. Anyone can lose eight on the trot if they don't get the bounce of the ball or the rub of the green or they're just unlucky. It happens. And those who have been prepared to point the finger of scorn should reflect on the fact that with every loss you're that much closer to a win.

So far no one has even mentioned the one participant in this rather convoluted saga who has covered himself in glory and has played an absolute blinder. I refer of course to Foley's manager, Timothy Francis (Tim) Johnston of the Firepower Sports Management Group. He managed to persuade the most hard nosed and astute group of businessmen in Australia, namely the CEO and Board of the Western Force, to sign Foles for four years, arguing quite plausibly that his client would need four seasons to be reasonably sure of getting the hang of coaching, unless he got a better offer in the meantime in which case he reserved the right to walk out on his contract.

Tim Johnston is a master salesman. He could sell snow to Eskimos; room heaters in Singapore; steak knives to Hindus. In fact I'll bet he could persuade people that putting aspirin tablets in their fuel tanks would make their cars go faster.

I remain quite hopeful that all will turn out well for the Force. After all Perth is something of an antipodean Lourdes where miracles can happen. Alan Bond wandered around penniless and in a catatonic state for years; then woke up one morning bright as a button and with his fortune restored.
Normally I like your dry sense of humour, Bruce, but this is going too far. Reminding the Force fans all about the Firepower saga while they are still trying to recover from the horror of having Foley named as coach is just kicking a bloke when he's down

L

Linebacker_41

Anyone willing to try their hand at a shortlist of candidates to take the role?

I have no idea of Tahland politics and base my comments of my esteemed GAGR posters.

1. Cheika wanted to coach NSW but has never liked the politics
2. Chairman is gone
3. CEO likely to go (either jump or be pushed)

Politics may have just taken care of themselves or the cleanout will give the Cheika the powerbase to set things up in his own model.

Have I summarised this correctly? Surely I am missing a lot more than this.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Pretty good summation linebacker. I am trying to find a bookie that is betting on the new coach, so I can get a few bucks on Cheika.
...having no luck so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.