• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exactly.

With the test season coming up we certainly have a bit of time to make the right decision.

Squad members not involved with the Wallabies can easily be given S&C training by the S&C coach or other coaching staff. We don't need a head coach for that.

NSWRU and the Waratahs need to take the time to get their house in order and have a proper search for the next coach and other coaching staff. Rushing these decisions will just hurt us in the long run and will mean we gain nothing from the much needed clean out.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Exactly.

With the test season coming up we certainly have a bit of time to make the right decision.

Squad members not involved with the Wallabies can easily be given S&C training by the S&C coach or other coaching staff. We don't need a head coach for that.

NSWRU and the Waratahs need to take the time to get their house in order and have a proper search for the next coach and other coaching staff. Rushing these decisions will just hurt us in the long run and will mean we gain nothing from the much needed clean out.

I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before ...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One reason I hope they don't jump the gun and just give Gaffney a senior position. The new head coach should have a major say in the organisational make-up.

But wouldnt a coaching director be on top of the coach?
There remains one Tahs board member who has been there or thereabouts during all of the low points of NSW rugby - I wonder how interested Cheika would be with him still there?
On the other hand there may be enough in the loss of Head Coach, Chairman, Team Manager and Captain to trigger a right in the NSWRU to terminate the Tahs Ltd experiment - which might be the best outcome for everyone and start the Tahs off on a new phase of community involvement/ownership etc.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yep, it would be. Maybe the Tahs don't need a director of rugby - or maybe the best strategy would be a top-flight director and his hand-picked coach. They shouldn't rush into either choice, however.

Edit: to clarify, I think they need to act decisively but not make other appointments before they complete a full and thorough search.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks for the clarification, Braveheart. We Waratahs fans wouldn't want outsiders to get the wrong impression about our organisation. People from the lesser provinces tend to rush off impulsively and do things, but our leaders like to sit and ponder - sit and ponder - sit and ponder. Occasionally, if you sit and ponder long enough the problem goes away, as happened today.

T

TOCC

Exactly.

might want to appoint a new S&C coach before this happens though

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have no idea of Tahland politics and base my comments of my esteemed GAGR posters.

1. Cheika wanted to coach NSW but has never liked the politics
2. Chairman is gone
3. CEO likely to go (either jump or be pushed)

Politics may have just taken care of themselves or the cleanout will give the Cheika the powerbase to set things up in his own model.

Have I summarised this correctly? Surely I am missing a lot more than this.

Chairman is gone but his deputy has not. I suspect that Petersen expects that he should be annointed as the new Chairman because of his years of loyalty to Zemancheff. At a time when he should have been leading the Board putsch to fire Zemancheff he has loyally stuck by him as the best man for the job. The cleanout is only half done at most. Two new members were appointed to the Board recently. Who by? Why the present Board of course. Any chance they will be the right people to turn it around? None and Buckley's. The new Board needs people on it not selected by the old Board, or else we will just get more of the same old crap.

Right now Cheika would be mad to take the job unless he knew he was going to be working under a completely restructured Board.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
You're not talking about Axle Foley are you, #1 Tah? Best to check his antecedents before firing a shot like that one.
He played for the reds, ergo, is a Queenslander: it actually means something in our game, unlike mungoball (I know your next argument is going to be about Berrick/Drew, but this was during amateur days)

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Young fella, you might be surprised to learn Axle's first senior rugby outing was with West Harbour after attending St Pat's Strathfield. He may've played for another Sydney club (Gordon?) before heading off to Brisbane to chance his arm in representative rugby as his path was blocked in NSW by Phil Kearns. And Brendan Cannon subsequently went the other way as HIS path was blocked by Foley.

It's a bit rich to paint Foley as a Queenslander after he was born, attended school and started his senior career in this fine city.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cannon wasn't the only player Foley forced south. One Jeremy Paul was another, funnily enough.

Origin means nothing for the NSW coach, those days of tribalism are well gone. Success is everything. As long as some of the coaching and recruitment staff have strong ties to the local clubs to ensure they know who the players to watch are, the origin of the head coach is not as key as ability and drive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Young fella, you might be aurprised to learn Axle's first senior rugby outing was with West Harbour after attending St Pat's Strathfield. He may've played for another Sydney club (Gordon?) before heading off to Brisbane to chance his arm in representative rugby as his path was blocked in NSW by Phil Kearns. And Brendan Cannon subsequently went the other way as HIS path was blocked by Foley.

It's a bit rich to paint Foley as a Queenslander after he was born, attended school and started his senior career in this fine city.
Gordon it was: anyone after an insight into the man should inquire of his then contemporary players as to the circumstances that preceded his leaving that club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simon Poideven backs Michael Cheika to coach Waratahs

Michael Cheika has some high profile backers for the vacant coaching role with the Waratahs. Picture: John Fotiadis Source: The Daily Telegraph
FORMER Wallaby captain Simon Poidevin has strongly endorsed Michael Cheika as the next Waratahs coach following Michael Foley's decision to quit.
After a woeful season that saw chairman Ed Zemancheff stand down on Monday night, the Waratahs spring continued yesterday morning when Foley tendered in his resignation.
The 45-year-old is set to take the head coach role of the Western Force in coming days, after the desperate Perth outfit upped a three-year offer to a deal that will keep Foley in Perth until the end of 2016.
The Waratahs are now hunting another coach and Cheika - who rejected the Force last month - is a firm favourite.

Though often spuriously linked with Australian coaching roles, Cheika finally appears set for a return home.
The former Randwick forward, who coached Leinster to a Heineken Cup win in 2009, has been interviewed by Waratahs officials twice and has the support of influential NSW rugby figures, including Poidevin.
"Michael Cheika is the game changer that this organisation needs to sort out their culture, their leadership and their direction,'' Poidevin said.
"He's got an excellent track record, both with results and ability to manage players.
"The culture he built at Leinster, from an organisation that was in the backwaters to what it is now, it is a great case study to what can be done. Guys like (Brian) O'Driscoll loved playing under Michael's leadership. I don't think you can get a better statement or acknowledgement of what he did there.''
After the worst ever season for the Tahs - in which they finished with four wins and 12 losses - Foley initially had the backing of the Waratahs' board to keep coaching, although players were split.
But the sudden departure of manager Chris Webb two weeks ago irked Foley, and its understood a proposal last week to make Alan Gaffney director of rugby in 2013 wasn't to be put to the board for another 20 days.
Whether intentional or not by Tahs directors, Foley's hand was forced. His departure adds to a remarkable NSW exodus from only six months ago; with the chairman, coach, manager and captain (Rocky Elsom) now gone, and marquee signing Sarel Pretorius long odds to stay.
Ironically, Gaffney could still play a key role in 2013 under a Cheika-led team. The pair coached together at Leinster in 2009 and remain tight. Former NSW skipper Chris Whitaker, who was Cheika's manager/assistant at Leinster and at Stade Francais, could also be on his staff.
Poidevin said a important Cheika philosophy was engaging with rugby's grassroots, which he believes the Tahs have neglected badly.
"That has been a major criticism of mine about the Waratahs culture. They've put up a moat around Moore Park which is highly detrimental to the team's perception, and that comes from the attitude of the administration and the coaching staff,'' Poidevin said.
"There is so much anger and frustration out there among rugby followers. We have the opportunity here to have one of the great rugby franchises in the competition but it just hasn't happened.
"Going forward we can't let that be the case, because it permeates right down through the game, through the clubs and through the juniors. The Tahs' performance, its culture and the style of their engagement has been a major problem for the whole game.''

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see a "Cheika" like guy to be the best option, the Tahs were rubbish enough for a dominant personality to fill the void and lead the way.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would Poidevin's endorsement have a touch of the myrtle green about it? It wouldnt hurt the wicks to have the Tahs coach just up the road steering would be Tahs down to Coogee.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Would Poidevin's endorsement have a touch of the myrtle green about it? It wouldnt hurt the wicks to have the Tahs coach just up the road steering would be Tahs down to Coogee.

maybe, but who else is around that has enough runs on the board and the personality to lead the way and keep the organisation in one direction.

we don't need consensus, we don't need other opinions.

the franchise needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and moved forward

Status
Not open for further replies.