• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
One of the great frustrations for the beginning practitioner in satire is being totally misunderstood, people assuming that you are actually arguing for the propositions you are trying to lampoon.

One of the great joys for the ancient practitioner in satire is being totally misunderstood, people assuming that you are actually arguing for the propositions you are trying to lampoon.

ibjNEwJf3GXcUx.png

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A mate of mine in the country has a mobile cattle prod that generates 12,000 volts of 'encouragement'. I would be more than happy to arrange for it to be transported to the training ground at Moore Park. A wave of said prod near the genetailia should quash any of these pricks complaining about pre season workload.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A mate of mine in the country has a mobile cattle prod that generates 12,000 volts of 'encouragement'. I would be more than happy to arrange for it to be transported to the training ground at Moore Park. A wave of said prod near the genetailia should quash any of these pricks complaining about pre season workload.

It is very clear that some of the contributors to this thread think that the senior players conspired to reduce their training loads so as to tank the Tah season. That's bollocks, but if it helps you to vent your anger issues then who am I to stand in your way.

Often in life we make bad decisions for very good reasons. At the beginning of the year I tipped the Force to have a very good year and go close to making the finals. I did so on the basis that their pack was very strong through every position, their backs were tradesmanlike though unexciting and they would get the chocolates most games playing an english style of forward domination. Turns out that was a very bad decision and totally screwed up my comp tipping, but I had perfectly good reasons for doing so.

At the end of last season, lots of Tahs were in rehab after horrific injuries; some of them had rushed back trying to make the WC. Then JON insisted that we head overseas to play some games because the coffers were empty, so everyone had had a big load of either games or injury. Thus, there were very good reasons for the lighter pre-season, and it wasn't just player-power stupidity. Turns out that that was a bad decision, but it was made for all the right reasons - the players wanted to be fresh enough to really make a drive for the playoffs and not be totally burnt out.

Turns out that what we should have done is give the test players and injury recovery crew time out but then put them through some really intensive work during the first six games of the season while they sat the games out. We would have had to pull players from a wider squad, against the specific direction of JON, but I'm coming round to the position that if JON says you should do something its better to do the direct opposite. We may have lost the first six while the crocks were getting up to speed, but we didn't win too many anyway.

One thing I have learnt from my own experiences with the press: if something goes wrong they will immediately look for scapegoats, the more they can find the better. And the truth of the matter is the last thing they search for, especially if the alternate is more sensational.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe the senior players were weary after last season when the tahs all bulked up a shit load in the pre season and then proceeded to drop like flys once the rugby started.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe the senior players were weary after last season when the tahs all bulked up a shit load in the pre season and then proceeded to drop like flys once the rugby started.

Wheras most Brumby players bulked up in the preseason, Mowen actually dropped a significant amount of weight when he came over.......

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It is very clear that some of the contributors to this thread think that the senior players conspired to reduce their training loads so as to tank the Tah season. That's bollocks, but if it helps you to vent your anger issues then who am I to stand in your way.

Often in life we make bad decisions for very good reasons.

Certainly Henry, Hansen and Smith had more than a bit of egg on their collective faces with a similar decision about conditioning and resting players in the 2007 RWC campaign. Foley is not alone in terms of poor decisions about conditioning.

On the other hand, maybe he should have learnt a lesson from the Kiwis in 2007 about the long term effects of a lack of match hardening.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Wheras most Brumby players bulked up in the preseason, Mowen actually dropped a significant amount of weight when he came over...

Optimal playing weight is a case by case thing really. Mowen has had the best season of his life this year after dropping weight; Beale was the same in 2010. Whereas others like Gill have needed to bulk up to handle the physicality of super rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mowen plays as much 6 as 8. He would have had plenty of game time at the Tahs. At the end of last season he was pretty much level pegging with Dennis.

Mowen was great at the Tahs last season. I don't think he has done anything dramatically different this season.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
And we have seen both Timani brothers getting a run both starting and on the bench. With Mowen I doubt Lopeti would have much of a run but that is just my opinion and we have no idea how it would have played out if Mowen had signed a two year contract.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I just read the Pandaram pre-season article and slipped into here to revel in the glow of a prolonged and venomous Rocky bashing. You Tah's supporters sure are no fun, Brumbies supporters would have managed to get 3 pages out of how it was all Rocky's fault by now.

My theory is that WJ's positivity thread is permeating your brains and making you all languidly wholesome.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Did Rocky go on that tour? I don't remember him being there.
In fact wasn't he injured?
So he would have been on a reduced work load anyway. So he wouldn't have been effected by it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.