• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have a contrarian view on Berrick Barnes. I see him as a very gifted footballer who does not really understand rugby union. He is a poor decision maker who can, however, at times do quite brilliant things which can earn him "man of the match" awards from people who evaluate on the basis of flashness.

Because of his relative lack of understanding of the fundamental complexities of rugby he is neither a 10 nor a 12. The position for which he is well suited is 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What do you put that down to Bruce?

The fact that he is from Queensland?
images

W

What2040

So is Grayson Hart still on an EPS contract for 2013 or is he upgraded to a full contract?

I wonder if Lucas is on a full contract or an EPS? Presumably a full contract.

I am very surprised at the signing of M Lucas - didn't think he played that well in the 20's. He's a gritty little blighter, good and fearless tackler but jeez I reckon he is too small (and really small) to be a top 9 at S15 level. Having thrown the mocker on him I wish him all the best in TAHLAND.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Was just about to ask people's opinions of M Lucas, does he have a decent pass and decision making?, that's the big question.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Was just about to ask people's opinions of M Lucas, does he have a decent pass and decision making?, that's the big question.

A decent player, more suited to halfback than his brother ben was. I thought he had found his niche with 7's and expect him to be too small to make the step up. Wish him all the best.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes, it is pretty much the team we have now.

We are in a pretty good position squad wise in that the right players are being moved along because they are either old and not first choice or are crocked.

That is why we can and should recruit heavily for the future. We probably only need a couple of our recruits to be immediately ready for Super Rugby (this would presumably mean people with some Super Rugby experience).
his decision making has to be questioned.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have a contrarian view on Berrick Barnes. I see him as a very gifted footballer who does not really understand rugby union. He is a poor decision maker who can, however, at times do quite brilliant things which can earn him "man of the match" awards from people who evaluate on the basis of flashness.

Because of his relative lack of understanding of the fundamental complexities of rugby he is neither a 10 nor a 12. The position for which he is well suited is 15.

Disagree a bit Bruce, Berrick appears to take the right/good options most of the time, but his execution sometimes lets himself down under pressure when he pushes too hard for that "big" play.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
with such an excellent playing pool at the tahs, you guys must well and truely be run by the worst managers in the game, probably globally.

every step coaching and management have taken this year have been more or less a disaster.

the biggest case for private ownership in NSW is so that some of the idiots up at Moore Park get shown the door.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
with such an excellent playing pool at the tahs, you guys must well and truely be run by the worst managers in the game, probably globally.

every step coaching and management have taken this year have been more or less a disaster.

the biggest case for private ownership in NSW is so that some of the idiots up at Moore Park get shown the door.

Everytime a NSW player signs somewhere else and succeeds it is deemed a disaster, everytime a NSW player signs somewhere else and fails it is ignored. Everytime the Tahs sign a player from elsewhere the reverse is the outcome.

All teams make mistakes in recruitment, the goal is to limit them

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Far be it for me to criticise a relatively new franchise, Sir Arthur, but in my opinion the Rebels are characterised by mediocrity. You rightly concede: "you guys must well and truely be run by the worst managers in the game, probably globally." But can you tell me in what respect your mob stands out in global terms? You would be struggling to be middle of the pack in anything, while on at least on one measure - albeit a negative one - we are arguably as you admit the most outstanding in the world.

Similarly, you state: "every step coaching and management have taken this year have been more or less a disaster", as if that's a bad thing. Here in Australia's First City we value consistency above all else. If we're going to fuck things up we do it methodically. By contrast the Rebels are all over the shop - one week good, the next abysmal.

Minor state jealousy on full display.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Mssr Ross,
I didn't once compare NSW directly to the Rebels.
On paper, in probably every position but fullback, the Tahs are better than the rebels - I whole heartedly agree. I also agree that in terms of position on the ladder and in all to date head v head encounters, the tahs rank above the rebels (hard to argue that). But what's wonderful about that is the fact that I didn't make a State v State comparison.
I would suggest not taking an attack on the upper management of a rugby team you support so much to heart. I love many of the waratahs players, yet look at their results? a fish rots from the head and a professional rugby club rots from the inept boys club management at the top. I can understand if I had chastised the players for ineptitude or incompetence, but to come hammering home in support of the upper echelons of management goes beyond the realm of fanatiscism (being of course the origin of the word "fan"). the sooner the NSW fans start recognizing what an amazingly talented team they have and that the problem lies not with the players but more likely with management, the faster things will change. Example being in today's broadsheets it is reported that upper management at the waratahs cooled to the idea of bringing in Cheika because he is headstrong. God forbid a coach have a vision and a plan coupled with a desire to implement both - save such matters for the old Kings and Grammar boys. I propose you lead an "occupy moore park" movement. By evidence of your writing on here, you have a way with words and could lead some of the lesser men on GAGR into 'battle'.

To bring fat prop in - let's ignore the failings of Sarel, perceived or otherwise, at the Waratahs. Look simply at the team you have. The crusaders too have been hampered by a horrid run of injuries to much more crucial players than the tahs have, yet where do they sit on the table? You can't tell me that all of the crusaders back up players are better than the starting players for the tahs. You have a wallaby laden squad and suffered as many injuries probably as both the crusaders and the reds (not to mention the stormers who have had to fetch a 4th or 5th string number 8 from Canada) and yet...again...where do you sit on the table?

I dont blame the waratahs plight on an import not performing to standard or someone who left the team performing better elsewhere. I am blaming it on what I read to be an overcontrolling and outdated management team and structure that believes the old (insert private school in Sydney) boys know whats best for the game going forward.

State jealousy has nothing to do with it. However, I will state for the record that I am not jealous of a state playing its biggest games at one of the worst rugby venues in australia, a team that fails to play more than one entertaining game of rugby a year (v the sharks - it was a cracker), an apathetic crowd at home games, nor am i jealous of the damage the waratahs boring style of play does to the greater good of the game in australia. I am jealous, however of the absurdly talent laden squad you possess - that jealousy is somewhat offset by the fact that despite all the rebel shortcomings and your history and levels of support, you only sit one position and 5 points ahead of us on the standings.

That said, I dont want to make a state v state comparison. I'm more interested in the politics of change at moore park.

Status
Not open for further replies.