• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the great frustrations for the beginning practitioner in satire is being totally misunderstood, people assuming that you are actually arguing for the propositions you are trying to lampoon.

One of the great joys for the ancient practitioner in satire is being totally misunderstood, people assuming that you are actually arguing for the propositions you are trying to lampoon.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Nevertheless, Bruce, I offer my congratulations to Sir Arthur for a well-written piece. Can't argue with any of it.

"Sir Arthur Higgins", would that be an ancient Irish peerage? You wouldn't be Sir Murray Rivers' cousin, would you? A small taste:

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nevertheless, Bruce, I offer my congratulations to Sir Arthur for a well-written piece. Can't argue with any of it.

"Sir Arthur Higgins", would that be an ancient Irish peerage? You wouldn't be Sir Murray Rivers' cousin, would you? A small taste:

Brilliant, Lindommer.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Whilst the emerald blood does course through my veins, I can't say I'm a relation. Unlike Murray, my ass was not covered on this one.
A quade copper move for the ages on Rosco - I misread the attack and went into my defensive positioning all wrong.

The libel aside, I stand by it. Occupy Moore Park seems the only answer. Subject to a buyout from Growdens snouts of course.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good stuff Lindommer.

Julian has a puckish sense of humour so he would have enjoyed that gig. I was at a board meeting with him once and we were talking about internal (inter-company) and external costs when there was a squeaky bodily noise from the Chairman.

"I hope that was internal Mr. Chairman," said Julian - and everybody cracked up.

Well I thought it was funny.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs doomed before ball kicked

A PLAYER-led campaign to ease pre-season training ruined the Waratahs' season before it began.
A small number of senior players fought to lighten the load of training before this season, believing it would serve the team well at the back end of a long year.
Michael Foley, in his first year as head coach, failed to overrule them.
The lack of pre-season conditioning has bombed spectacularly, with NSW on a seven-match losing streak largely because they have been overrun by fitter teams.
The Daily Telegraph has been told that other players who were wary of a reduced pre-season now blame it as the root cause of the worst season in Waratahs history.
The statistics are damning.
Across the entire season, the Waratahs have lost just one quarter overall - the last one - in points scored and conceded.

The points differential overall in quarters one, two and three is +7, 0 and +2 respectively. In the last quarter, the differential is -54.
The fatigued side has repeatedly fallen away with games on the line, losing eight by seven points or less.
Foley, who confirmed he will remain in charge next year, will have to run a much tighter ship. He acknowledges errors for this year's planning without giving specific detail.
"The preparation for the season on any number of levels needs to be sharper," Foley said. "There were any number of reasons why that wasn't what it needed to be last year. But we need to eliminate those reasons.
"We're certainly pretty clear in our minds of how we'd do that."
Brumbies coach Jake White, who put his side through a gruelling seven-month pre-season ordeal, noted after beating NSW last weekend that his side had banked on being the fitter side.
Foley said: "Undoubtedly they finished stronger. I think one of things we'll assess as we go into next season is our physical preparation both with the non-Wallaby guys, what they do when they have their break after club footy, and also what our Wallaby guys do through their break after the end-of-year tour.
"People need a rest, but with such a short turnaround from the Wallaby season into the Waratah season it's important that we make the most of the opportunities."
Foley said the most important task for the Waratahs against Queensland tomorrow is to play for 80 minutes.
He said there is no truth to reports he may walk out if the team loses in Brisbane.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow. That is terrible. Link was talking about this exact thing at the Brisbane Chrissy drinks last year. At least now Foley will be able to straight up say: No. Look what happened last season. Pre season starts now.
Well I at least hope he does/can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So, the Waratahs' problems lie with player power?

It was a wrong decision in hindsight. One of the challenges of having so many wobs (and players having regrinds over the summer) must be managing their load as they don't do most of the off season anyway.

Hopefully it will be done better this off season

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt it. He would have spent most of the offseason doing rehab work.

He only had his knee reconstruction a month or two before Quade Cooper.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I doubt it. He would have spent most of the offseason doing rehab work.

He only had his knee reconstruction a month or two before Quade Cooper.
he started the first game of the season, so I assume he was involved in some form of training prior. Then again, maybe that's th issue

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was touch and go as to whether he would be ready then. He obviously would have been training but certainly for a lot of the offseason he wouldn't have been training fully.

Whoever suggested the Tahs should have a lighter offseason was definitely in the wrong however I think one problem they faced were they had quite a few players who were crocked during that time. TPN, Palu, Kepu, Robbo, Mitchell, Elsom, Vickerman, McCutcheon were all injured or recovering at some points during the offseason. This couldn't have helped and surely provided some persuasion towards the suggestion of training less in the offseason.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
When foley remarked that the workload of the wallaby contingent was poorly handled and that he had recommended to the board an increase in medical services as they had handled it poorly, everyone from JON down simply said he was lying and that their was no issue. Obviously for the Tahs there was an issue, which is why foley concluded they needed to do more.

It's obvious that they started from behind the eight ball and never caught up. At least they now have a clear indicator of a problem and it an be addressed

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haven't trawlled through the 30+ pages, but what happened to Stephen Hoiles and the early season link with the Tahs. Is he still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.