• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would suggest that "Uni Sux - Redux" type discussions might be better in Shute Shield or somesuch thread, rather than Waratahs 2013.
Sorry, I'll clarify - I strongly suggest. ;)

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
A few days ago Growden wrote an article on ESPN about Beale possibly return to the Tah's next year. This is the first and only time I had heard of it. I would have thought the Sydney papers would have picked this up and ran with it if there was any truth to it.
Does make me wonder just how far along the deal with Berrick Barnes and Panasonic(?)
Are the Tahs looking for replacement for Barnes because tey know he is going?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Michael Lynagh is tipping Falou for big things this year. On the wrap up of Sky Sports UK's coverage of the Brumbies v Reds he picked Falou as his player to watch this year. He said that although he's still got a lot to learn he's looked very impressive in the Tahs trial games. I'm very interested to see how he goes in a competitive game.

But honestly I think like every Tahs fan I'm interested to see how the entire team go next week just to confirm that under Chieka it won't be more of the same dross we had last year. Not expecting us to beat the Reds but what I am expecting is a lot of ambitious, plenty of handling errors and for us to really have a go.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
But honestly I think like every Tahs fan I'm interested to see how the entire team go next week just to confirm that under Chieka it won't be more of the same dross we had last year. Not expecting us to beat the Reds but what I am expecting is a lot of ambitious, plenty of handling errors and for us to really have a go.

The important thing for me is that if these happen early the heads don't go down, hope the players have really bought into an expansive game plan and won't let the belief waver once the inevitable errors occur.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Kiap,

Although it won't make a difference in the final log, 4 byes rather than 2 would result is a hugely skewed overall log for most of the season, especially in relation to the Reds position on it.

No. All competitions with byes will have a skewed log. There may be a sweet spot where it's less skewed at the bottom, middle, or top of the log, depending the points given for a bye.

The method used for Super Rugby - this year excluded - with 4-point byes where a maximum win is worth 5 points, places the sweet spot just below the top of the log. This makes sense because positions 1-6 are the important ones, not 5-10 or 9-15.

This year has some mini-rounds, but giving 4 points for two "official byes" and 0 points for two "unofficial byes" will only make it more skewed. Approaching the final rounds, a sweet spot will develop in the middle of the log (meh) but for most of the season it'll be out of whack.

Having 4 byes rather than 2 would put the sweet spot back near the top. It would actually be less skewed (at the top which is what counts)..... But this is the Waratahs thread; we've digressed.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reds will be stinging from the weekend - Mowen's men have done the Tahs no favours there. However neither the Ponies or Banjo men attacked close enough to the ruck for my liking.

Tahs have to hit them in the zero channel, hard and often, then get it wide with speed. Simply stated, not so simply executed...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Reds will be stinging from the weekend - Mowen's men have done the Tahs no favours there. However neither the Ponies or Banjo men attacked close enough to the ruck for my liking.

Tahs have to hit them in the zero channel, hard and often, then get it wide with speed. Simply stated, not so simply executed.

People often talk about a team stinging after a loss, but the most common follow up to a loss is another loss. If a team really plays better when they're angry then they have coaching problems.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People often talk about a team stinging after a loss, but the most common follow up to a loss is another loss. If a team really plays better when they're angry then they have coaching problems.

I'm looking at Richard Graham's record versus Jake White's and not disagreeing with you

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ant is back so the Reds defense will nulify a lot of options

My concern is that the Reds have that battle hardened edge and the Tahs will be stuttering.

I'm sure my reputation as the Tahs Resident Optimist reduces the significance of my view BUT (and I can say this here because Reds fans would never read this thread) the Reds showed sweet FA in Canberra.
They looked like headless chooks - dare i say - they looked like the Tahs did last year.
I cant see them beating the Tahs without Horwill and Genia - but I guess that's why they play the game and dont just determine the outcome on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.