• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can anyone confirm how the Bye, in terms of points, will work this year? I understand how the fixture list has been shifted around to accommodate the Lions tour. What I need confirmed is that my understanding of how the points for the bye will work this year as there is conflicting information on the official SuperXV site at the moment.

My understanding is that although this weekend only 4 Aus teams played in round 1 only 1 team officially has a bye, that being the Tahs. I understood that there would still only be 2 official byes per team this year, just like last year. The Reds will be the only team to have a bye in round 17 and no byes will be awarded for round 18 & 19.

At the moment the table listed on the SuperXV official sites reflects this correctly, but the fixture list they're provided is crediting teams with a bye when they are not playing resulting in 4 byes per team across the season.

I believe it's four points per bye during a given team's two designated byes (being this week and round 9 for the Tahs)

The reason it might say more teams have byes is probably due to their database system not liking a team simply not playing that week.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyone else fairly excited about next weeks Reds vs Tahs game? If the Reds play that again, the Tah's should have no problems at all..

Seriously pumped for it! Unless the Reds improve hugely you'd have to back the Tahs, any away derby wins will be crucial in the Aussie conference.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can anyone confirm how the Bye, in terms of points, will work this year? I understand how the fixture list has been shifted around to accommodate the Lions tour. What I need confirmed is that my understanding of how the points for the bye will work this year as there is conflicting information on the official SuperXV site at the moment.
I don't know the answer but I do know that superxv.com, owned by Sports Digital Media, is not an official Super Rugby site.

I believe it's four points per bye during a given team's two designated byes (being this week and round 9 for the Tahs)
You may be right although it somewhat defeats the purpose of giving points for a bye, if the intention is to have the overall table throughout showing an approximate ranking of the top teams.

But it does even out in the end (and it's not possible to have an accurate ranking of all the teams until after the final round anyway) so it is, to some degree, a cosmetic choice.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For the record, this is the official Super Rugby site:

http://www.rugby.com.au/superrugby/GameDay/SuperRugbyTable.aspx

Thanks Slim for the link, unfortunately no answer to my question on there but it's good to have the official site. Maybe when they get around to updating the table I'll see, but I imagine it is just 2 byes and the other site's database can't handle this year's format as ptah said.

Kiap,

Although it won't make a difference in the final log, 4 byes rather than 2 would result is a hugely skewed overall log for most of the season, especially in relation to the Reds position on it.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Just saw your message now. I hope you had a good night. A couple of other GAGR members, HodgoBerro and ShinaTina were there as well.

I was surprised how tall Ben Volavola is when I saw him.

Check out the Tahs' Facebook page which has a pic of you from the party. Great to see you again as well.

Good to see you too :)
Do you mean the one with TPN?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Certainly much more physical at the breakdown - but players were allowed to slow the ball down, which gave defence time to set. Referee gave a number of warnings about it but no yellow cards.

Perhaps not from a rugby purists point of view, but I found Friday's game more entertaining to watch. Maybe the respective referees contributed to that as well.

I certainly hope whoever is in charge next week doesn't let the Red's forwards lay in and around the tackle as happened last night.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was silly that the ref felt the need to warn the Reds again in the second half after giving them a warning in the first.......

That should've been a card right there......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably because of this:

Certainly much more physical at the breakdown - but players were allowed to slow the ball down, which gave defence time to set. Referee gave a number of warnings about it but no yellow cards.

Perhaps not from a rugby purists point of view, but I found Friday's game more entertaining to watch. Maybe the respective referees contributed to that as well.

I certainly hope whoever is in charge next week doesn't let the Red's forwards lay in and around the tackle as happened last night.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the other hand, TPN is an immense asset at Parramatta. It all depends, doesn't it?

You'd struggle to find another Super Rugby player in Australia that puts as much time and effort into their club as TPN.

That sort of commitment isn't something that could be replicated just by sending a player to a specific club.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You'd struggle to find another Super Rugby player in Australia that puts as much time and effort into their club as TPN.

That sort of commitment isn't something that could be replicated just by sending a player to a specific club.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

I am certain that just the fact of a player like Folau agreeing to wear a Penrith jersey would be great for that club. Even if he never travelled there. The point that I was countering was that it was somehow good for the game that Folau is playing for the Camperdown Clique, who are already rolling in Waratahs and Wallabies, thanks in part to my taxes, and yours. It is not good for the game, it would be far better for the game if Folau was aligned with a real district club, even a more successful, high profile, club than Penrith. Anybody other than the overgrown private schoolboys.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am certain that just the fact of a player like Folau agreeing to wear a Penrith jersey would be great for that club. Even if he never travelled there. The point that I was countering was that it was somehow good for the game that Folau is playing for the Camperdown Clique, who are already rolling in Waratahs and Wallabies, thanks in part to my taxes, and yours. It is not good for the game, it would be far better for the game if Folau was aligned with a real district club, even a more successful, high profile, club than Penrith. Anybody other than the overgrown private schoolboys.

Agree 200%. As for arguments he signed with Uni for their training facilties, he signed with the Tahs and so has full access to their facilties which I would hope are as good as what the Students have.

If serious action isn't taken to stabilise the Shute Shield and the clubs (which I would suggest making them a genuine 3rd tier) there is a serious chance that the competition will fade away and become the province of old fatties seeking to have a bit of a run and a few drinks. The heart and soul of Rugby in Sydney/NSW will die a slow death. I honestly think that it is in the interest of Uni to start telling youngsters to go elsewhere for some genuine game time and perhaps work with the other clubs in strength, conditioning and player development. The alternative may well be that they will find themselves playing in a competition in which they are the only real contender and the traditional rivalries and history will fade away.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree 200%. As for arguments he signed with Uni for their training facilties, he signed with the Tahs and so has full access to their facilties which I would hope are as good as what the Students have.

If serious action isn't taken to stabilise the Shute Shield and the clubs (which I would suggest making them a genuine 3rd tier) there is a serious chance that the competition will fade away and become the province of old fatties seeking to have a bit of a run and a few drinks. The heart and soul of Rugby in Sydney/NSW will die a slow death. I honestly think that it is in the interest of Uni to start telling youngsters to go elsewhere for some genuine game time and perhaps work with the other clubs in strength, conditioning and player development. The alternative may well be that they will find themselves playing in a competition in which they are the only real contender and the traditional rivalries and history will fade away.

Gnostic, Wamberal, and alot of others, firstly I agree.
But if each of our respective clubs had facilities, options, etc - I think we would like to see our clubs use them to their capacity for the benifit of the club.
Gee, with what Uni has it makes a win over them feel so much better.
Once it was Randwick that evryone hated, and now it's Uni.
Folau wont be seen alot Uni, nor do I think anyone would have see him eating Emu burgers, a club isnt about 1 player - it is about a culture.
Yes Uni ground out a win last year but it was a tight game, they lost in 2011 so they can be beaten by a "club team".

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

The reason it might say more teams have byes is probably due to their database system not liking a team simply not playing that week.

Waratahs have just had their first bye and the SMH still has them on zero points. Looks to me like there is a lot of confusion.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Waratahs have had a bye, all the other teams don't officially start the comp until next week so they're not on byes. Just like when it's NZ/SA teams only, Aus teams aren't on byes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Given that the club review (as published in Saturday's SMH) states that Uni spend $0 on players, I'd suggest that a lot more of your tax dollars and mine are supporting Uni's rugby programme than we have all thought. (I'm assuming of course that no-one believes that all those players are there for the love of it). Taxpayer provided facilities and taxpayer funded education would seem the logical "in kind" payments.

Next time you read that Universities in Australia are under-funded, think Sydney Uni rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And let's not forget that all of those Waratahs at Uni are employees of a wholly owned subsidiary of the NSWRU. I work where it best suits my employer, why not these guys?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Given that the club review (as published in Saturday's SMH) states that Uni spend $0 on players, I'd suggest that a lot more of your tax dollars and mine are supporting Uni's rugby programme than we have all thought. (I'm assuming of course that no-one believes that all those players are there for the love of it). Taxpayer provided facilities and taxpayer funded education would seem the logical "in kind" payments.

Next time you read that Universities in Australia are under-funded, think Sydney Uni rugby.

I am not sure you understand how Universities are funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.