• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Volavola looked alright, a few passes not going to hand but that's more the fault of his outside runners who on occasions didn't even seem to be paying attention. Drew Mitchell ran strongly once he came on, and I thought Cam Crawford played quite well once he got to fullback for about the last 10 minutes. I think they should probably be a bit concerned about only being able to score 2 tries - both from very close range after penalties, through the forwards - with the amount of ball and territory they had.

I reckon he threw 5 bad passes, dropped the ball 7 times and lost it in contact 4 times.
He's clearly got ability and plenty of pace, but he is another 5/8 in the QC (Quade Cooper) style.
I suspect from what I've read here and what I saw last night that he's really a fullback: unlike QC (Quade Cooper) he did make some tackles.
I like the look of him but you're being a tad generous.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah I probably am, I just really like him as a player from what he showed in the SS last year (as a fullback of course), and would love to see the Tahs actually give him a decent chance in the season proper. I guess he's never going to get a shot at fullback (just like Cam Crawford probably won't apart from his 10 minutes last night), and will have to play out of position but it'd be great to see another player come through the SS and succeed at S15 level, the way it's meant to be, instead of importing players etc.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon he threw 5 bad passes, dropped the ball 7 times and lost it in contact 4 times.
He's clearly got ability and plenty of pace, but he is another 5/8 in the QC (Quade Cooper) style.
I suspect from what I've read here and what I saw last night that he's really a fullback: unlike QC (Quade Cooper) he did make some tackles.
I like the look of him but you're being a tad generous.

He's raw at that level and very much a work in progress. He'll be better for the experience. A project for Cheika to work on.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
From Ruck & Maul today:
Kurtley heading home?
More encouraging news for the Waratahs is that they hold hope that Kurtley Beale will return next season. The strong prospect of Beale being sighted back in the Waratahs colours in 2014 may have something to do with Sonny Bill Williams. Fellow Rebels Nick Phipps is another potential Waratahs candidate.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/177055.html

Certainly wouldn't knock back KB (Kurtley Beale) returning. Not sure what it has to do with SBW. Will he be in sky blue as well in 2014? Mind boggles. The Rebels can keep Phipps though.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
From Ruck & Maul today:

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/177055.html

Certainly wouldn't knock back KB (Kurtley Beale) returning. Not sure what it has to do with SBW. Will he be in sky blue as well in 2014? Mind boggles. The Rebels can keep Phipps though.

Could the Rebels be cutting Beale lose to make a play for SBW? I think Beale would be a really good signing for the Tahs, especially with the anticipated departure of Berrick Barnes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's always the slight possibility of SBW playing for the Tahs. We don't have a marquee and SBW loves Sydney. If he gets dispensation from the NZRU to play for a non-NZ team but Super Rugby and be eligible for the ABs it would be very appealing to him. The NZRU would bend over backwards for him.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
There's always the slight possibility of SBW playing for the Tahs. We don't have a marquee and SBW loves Sydney. If he gets dispensation from the NZRU to play for a non-NZ team but Super Rugby and be eligible for the ABs it would be very appealing to him. The NZRU would bend over backwards for him.

I’d be more than happy if he did come to the Tahs but I think we could do without the Khoder Nasser sideshow, would be an easy move for him from Bondi Junction to Moore Park :cool:

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
What the Tahs showed last night were a few things they've lacked the last couple of years:
* a bit of punch late in the game - sure it was a trial game and players came and went but they look and played like a fitter team and fought back to take the lead, despite not once taking the easy, penalty kick option for points
* they showed some ticker on their own line to not allow the Crusaders to score close to full time

I'm pumped for Super Rugby to kick off and have a good feeling about the Tahs in 2013. They may take a few weeks to completely gel but the forwards will play like men possessed under Cheika and after seeing Folau in action last night, I can't wait to see the backline with quality front foot ball.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Just about to head over to members party, if anyone sees a guy suited and booted and a pink shirt say hello :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think that Waratahs start 2013 in the best position for quite a while. New coach, some new players, new attitude. Trials have gone as you'd expect; sloppy defence and plenty of attack in the 1st 2, with defence improving and some errors in attack in last trial.

I think that we should all expect the odd hiccup as the season goes, but I'd be extremely surprised if we're all not treated to a very watchable brand of rugby. How successful it will be in terms of finals etc - don't know yet. At the very, very least there's light at the end of a 4 year tunnel of darkness.

Glad to see more and more supporters realising that Folau will make it (yes he will make some mistakes - but overall wow!)

I'm devastated that we have the bye in the first round, so we have to wait another week, but that may well turn out to our advantage.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Crowd was less than 7k, I was expecting about 10 but I guess that's what happens when you charge 20 dollars for a trial game, which I personally think is way over the odds. I have to say it, I think if they had have taken the game to Newcastle, which hasn't had a Tahs game in years (not since about 2004 I think, could've also taken it to Gosford), they could've gotten double the crowd whilst also tending to another area of their market (they are the NSW Waratahs after all) but that's probably too much to expect from them.

Still, those complaints aside, it was great to have the rugby back.

Or somewhere else in NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.