• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Boom! suck on that Saders! 14-13. Carn the Tahs!

edit: Penalty to Saders 16-14

tumblr_lumssw5oGb1qbnggp.jpg

edit 2: just found out one of the penalties against us was from Folau swatting a ball dead league style instead of grounding it. Minus that penalty and the Tahs win!

its-something.jpg

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Saders won, but there was stuff to like in the Tahs' performance - and dislike.

Dislikes:
- handling was woeful at times, including from key players
- couldn't convert sustained pressure into tries
- too much horizontal running at times
- passes to no one
- soft try

- much better structure in attack, with good width and depth
- players hitting the line at pace and on good angles
- set pieces were strong and yielded good ball
- Ben Volavola's boot
- Izzy Folau at pace and in space
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If every ball that Volavola dropped or sprayed wide had been kept alive that would have been a very different game - although I think the Saders were playing within themselves.
someone should have told Volavola a career is not made in one trial game - he's got pace and a good pass but tonight I think he tried to turn everything to gold.
McKibbin will keep the job ahead of Hart: he has a major hitch in his pass.
Folau made Freuan look pedestrian (whcih most certainly is not) on a couple occasions. I think Folau may be the real deal.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pack played exactly what I feared in the 1st half, like it was their first time of the year. I really believe you should play your best side in every game because while the notes say the Tahs have had 3 trials that was essentially most of the pack's 1st.

Way too much dropped ball, Volavola ok but still problems when pressured. Crusaders didn't offer much, Tahs probably would've won if it was a real game.

Set piece very strong. Lineouts were top, stole quite a few ball as well.

Folau is definitely the real deal. Always beats 1 or 2 defenders even when cramped for room. Could've got a yellow along with the penalty for swatting the ball dead - needs to learn the important not-so-well-known rule differences.

McKibbin is better than Hart. Crowd around 10k.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with the thoughts above.

A couple more things to add:

I thought Mitch Chapman had a good outing. He was particularly strong in the lineout which is obviously a major reason for signing him but really encouraging that he is delivering on that already.

Kingston had a strong game and could easily oust Turner for a spot in the starting XV. He looked dangerous with ball in hand.

The Crusaders should have lost players to the bin at various points. The number of back to back penalties in the red zone over the course of the game was ridiculous. If that had been a Super Rugby game I think there would have been yellow cards for sure.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Crusaders should have lost players to the bin at various points. The number of back to back penalties in the red zone over the course of the game was ridiculous. If that had been a Super Rugby game I think there would have been yellow cards for sure.

The Crusaders infringing in their red zone? What is this blasphemy you speak of?? ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pack played exactly what I feared in the 1st half, like it was their first time of the year. I really believe you should play your best side in every game because while the notes say the Tahs have had 3 trials that was essentially most of the pack's 1st.

Way too much dropped ball, Volavola ok but still problems when pressured. Crusaders didn't offer much, Tahs probably would've won if it was a real game.

Folau is definitely the real deal. Always beats 1 or 2 defenders even when cramped for room. Could've got a yellow along with the penalty for swatting the ball dead - needs to learn the important not-so-well-known rule differences.

Didn't see what the penalty was for. Only thing I would say is that Walsh obviously decided that no one was going to the bin no matter what.
A couple of no arm tackles - one penalised- yet no cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Didn't see what the penalty was for. Only thing I would say is that Walsh obviously decided that no one was going to the bin no matter what.
A couple of no arm tackles - one penalised- yet no cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great to be back at the rugby. I'll be buying me a ticket on that Folau bandwagon - he was very good. As mentioned, even when he doesn't make a spectacular break, he gains valuable yards and attracts defenders. Not too much pressure on his defence at 15 - I think he was almost stood up once in the last line when he bought a dummy, but Turner cleaned up from behind. And we haven't seen his aerial skills yet - I was half-hoping they might have punted one of those red-zone penalty kicks across field and high for him to contest.

Volavola was obviously nervous and pushing passes, but he's no slouch. He can bite off a good hunk of territory when kicking for touch, though I think we hardly saw a kick from him in general play. A couple of promising runs too - he's got the frame for taking on the line. Perhaps our depth at 10 isn't measly as we may have thought.

You can see what Gaffney was talking about in the ruggamatrix podcast - that they are working on getting Tom Carter to distribute ball and not just take on the line. A work in progress, I would say.

I'd love to write off the dropped ball and occasionally uncoordinated attack as standard fare in trials - but frankly, it was just what the 2012 Tahs served up all year. Please, please, let that improve.

TPN played a fair portion of the game and didn't break his head once. Win.

I'm excited. Time for the season to begin.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

So the buggers really DO practise infringing at the breakdown. Who woulda thought..... :mad:

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I had a vision of when Folou knocked the ball dead of Cheika just going "Sh!t, forgot to tell him about that one". You could see Kepu while they were waiting for Carter to kick just explaining to Folou that you can't do that.

For a trial game it felt pretty packed. I'm not to worried about how they were playing (besides all the dropped balls). It looks like they are foxing, holding something back. Which may be one of the reasons why Foley and Barnes weren't playing. That and them being...injured......

Good for Rugby to be back

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Good for Rugby to be back

This.

Thought it was a decent performances with some expected errors given it was a trial game. There are definitely some good points to draw on for next Saturday in Suncorp.

Was also pleasantly surprised at how Falou played, seems to be picking up the majority game very well. I thinks its good to get all his rule misinterpretations done and dusted in the trials too :D

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Crusaders infringing in their red zone? What is this blasphemy you speak of?? ;)

Whoddathunkit!

It was pretty nuts how many "red zone" penalties there were. There had to be at least 5 within 5 minutes in the second half. The Tahs had their chances and should have won anyway, but it did make you wonder what the hell was going on when Walsh had clearly decided that nothing was a cardable offense, including two no-arms tackles inside the 22.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I'll stay positive because its a trial game. 3 things though....firstly I will never accept the Tahs losing at home..never used to and not going to now..if we are going to do well this year we should be 10 better than anyone at home minimum. Doesn't matter if its a trial.
Folau is still "THAT GOOD" and he's not even a rower or a shotputter.:rolleyes: .Hooper will be worth alot especially if those Kiwi boys keep trying to use Richies rule book. .;) .He will be screaming so loud at the ref that they will have to listen.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Game was pretty average, a typical trial. I hate to say it but Walsh was detrimental towards the game reaching any heights, he blew the pea out of his whistle by about the 60min mark.

Folau was ok. His running game is strong but predictable, he gets the ball, doesn't pass, does a little jump on the spot into a right foot step. Fruean was over committing a bit and Folau would step back inside him, only to be tackled by an inside defender - Ryan Crotty did this on several occasions. I think unless he adds a pass to his game, his effect will be less and less as the season goes on. His clearing kicks weren't great and someone will have to teach him the rules as far as batting the ball dead. Still, the Tahs fans seemed to like him, but it reminded me of how excited they used to get when Lote Tuqiri was playing, even though he rarely did anything.

Volavola looked alright, a few passes not going to hand but that's more the fault of his outside runners who on occasions didn't even seem to be paying attention. Drew Mitchell ran strongly once he came on, and I thought Cam Crawford played quite well once he got to fullback for about the last 10 minutes. I think they should probably be a bit concerned about only being able to score 2 tries - both from very close range after penalties, through the forwards - with the amount of ball and territory they had.

For the Crusaders, they did what they could on very limited ball. Lineouts were problematic, but their scrum was strong and when they committed players to the breakdown, which wasn't often, they drove the Tahs back and/or got a turnover. Backs looked pretty slick when Carter was on, but with the limited possession they didn't get many chances. Thought Funnell had a pretty good game up front, he's a prospect.

Crowd was less than 7k, I was expecting about 10 but I guess that's what happens when you charge 20 dollars for a trial game, which I personally think is way over the odds. I have to say it, I think if they had have taken the game to Newcastle, which hasn't had a Tahs game in years (not since about 2004 I think, could've also taken it to Gosford), they could've gotten double the crowd whilst also tending to another area of their market (they are the NSW Waratahs after all) but that's probably too much to expect from them.

Still, those complaints aside, it was great to have the rugby back.

Status
Not open for further replies.