• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hilgendorf? Was Lachlan McKay or Tim Donnelly not available? What's Manny Edmonds up to these days?
Well I guess he is in Sydney,

I understand why they chose an "experienced" unit.

But it is a short term fix - not punting on a talent - in a trial - that may offer more in the future and doesn't have a history of injury

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone else get the feeling that the Foley and Barnes 'injurys' aren't as serious as they say.
Probably more precautionary to make sure they are right for the start of the season....??

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well pulling out of a trial is not going to kill anyone

Seems to be good management on behalf of Cheika if you ask me. He's resting his two most likely options for starting 10 while giving a very talented young 10 in Volavola a shot to prove himself and taste the levels he needs to aspire to in order to successfully compete. Both Barnes and Foley have experience at this level and in my mind Volavola is very possibly the next gen 10 once Barnes moves on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
HSBC WARATAHS v Crusaders
Super Rugby trial match
Thursday February 14, 2013
Allianz Stadium, Sydney

15. Israel Folau (Unattached)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
11. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
10. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
9. Grayson Hart (Southern Districts)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. David Hickey (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University), captain
5. Mitchell Chapman (Unattached)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)

Replacements
Luke Holmes (Warringah)
John Ulugia (Southern Districts)
Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
James Hilgendorf (Eastwood)
Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)
Michael Hodge (Sydney University)
Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
Michael Hooper (Manly)
Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)
Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
Greg Peterson (Manly)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
14 replacements? I know it's a trial, but surely it should be played under close to real match conditions, if only for sake of the long-suffering supporters.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
15. Israel Folau (Unattached)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
11. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
10. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
9. Grayson Hart (Southern Districts)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. David Hickey (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University), captain
5. Mitchell Chapman (Unattached)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)

Replacements
Luke Holmes (Warringah), John Ulugia (Southern Districts), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), James Hilgendorf (Eastwood), Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs), Michael Hodge (Sydney University), Drew Mitchell (Balmain), Michael Hooper (Manly), Jed Holloway (Southern Districts), Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts), Kane Douglas (Southern Districts), Greg Peterson (Manly)

Some very interesting indications there of the way Cheika is thinking:
  1. You would think Grayson Hart has the nod for the starting 9 jersey.
  2. David Hickey is getting a chance against a top flight 7 in Todd and AJ Gilbert is resting this week. I would guess that Hooper is being rested to keep something in reserve but that David Hickey is being looked at for the longer term future - 2014 to 2016. AJ probably didn't look so good against the Blues.
  3. Chapman is back! I thought he wasn't going to be able to play till round 3. Ollie Atkins looks to have restricted his chances after clocking up the one game suspension as he's not even in the reserves.
  4. Michael Hodge is apparently being trained up as a centre, according to press reports. I thought he was only an out-and-out winger but it looks like he is being converted so we have more back-up at 12/13.
  5. Lopeti Timani isn't getting much of a run and appears not to be in favour. Given the work the Tahs have put into him and the likelihood that he will go to France with his brothers if he's dissatisfied, we risk losing a large chunk of training investment and the number one back-up to Cliffy. I hope not, he's got potential.
  6. You'd like to think that some of those replacements have been named only in case of injury, otherwise the team will get very disjointed in the second half.
  7. Izzy is still listed as unattached. Penrith, Parramatta and West Harbour can still hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.