• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The Waratahs need to pay Pete Murray a ton to perform at all their home games next year, his new album is titled "Blue Sky Blue" and headline song "Always a Winner"

Seems a good team song/theme as any that we have come up with.

True blue by john Williamson is a much better choice than the elevator music festival that is pete Murray

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The Waratahs need to pay Pete Murray a ton to perform at all their home games next year, his new album is titled "Blue Sky Blue" and headline song "Always a Winner"

Seems a good team song/theme as any that we have come up with.

As if poaching half the squad from queensland wasn't bad enough, they also want our singers now.

Maybe a relocation is on the cards and that's why the tahs split from the nswru.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The EPS guys will be playing club rugby. They will be paid by the ARU, not the Tahs, and they will be useless as tits on a bull if they are not match fit and they have to be cherry picked.

Your comment on the younger blokes is exactly wrong IMO. They should be in the national academy system. details of which are not yet to hand. They should also be playing club rugby - Colts or Grade.

Even contracted guys outside of the match day or touring teams should be playing in club rugby, but the Tahs would have the final say on that.

I think you misunderstood me, I would have the eps guys playing club rugby to stay match fit. That was the whole basis of my argument really, why pay a guy like trist to be a fringe member of the squad and play club rugby, when he is going to be playing club rugby anyway - ready for the call up if you need him. Why not spend the money on a top young athlete who is in demand from other provinces/codes/overseas teams.

Its too early to judge with the academy system as we don't know the inner workings, but rugby union cant just ignore the fact that the league have a strong youth competition and are going after a lot of the top juniors. How will the academy contracts measure up compared to toyota cup contracts? I'd be very surprised if the money or off-field opportunities were half as good.

The only carrot union has that really measure up to what the other codes offer for young blokes are the eps and 7's contracts. In response to this many will say you need a few years under your belt playing grade rugby before you can make the step up, which I somewhat agree with. But even if a player is in the EPS or 7's, they would be playing club rugby most of the year anyway. Furthermore if you look at the positions that we are competing with league for players in, its in the backrow and the backs. I would say tight 5 players don't come of age until early to mid 20's, but loosies and backs can and have played at the higher levels at younger ages.

That's why if I was running this academy thing, it would have a strong tight 5 focus. Not just cause Australia is historically a little weak in the tight 5, but also because we have less direction competition for players and therefore don't have to offer them as much to keep them in the system. It would also act as a proving ground so that super rugby teams dont have to 'punt' on young tight forwards - they will have a better idea on who has got it and who has not.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Huh? We've got Mitchell, Barnes and McKibben. You've got Beau Robinson, David McDuling and Van Humphries

And rocky.

Beau Robinson is now our favourite son, he's as red as chris latham. And you can't claim him cause you didn't want him anymore. :fishing

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
And rocky.

Beau Robinson is now our favourite son, he's as red as chris latham. And you can't claim him cause you didn't want him anymore. :fishing

I'm hearing a lot of talk about this Browning lad; so when he leaves Qld because of the already stacked supply of quality backrowers, I assume we'll be able to say you didn't want him anymore? :fishing

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think you misunderstood me, I would have the eps guys playing club rugby to stay match fit. That was the whole basis of my argument really, why pay a guy like trist to be a fringe member of the squad and play club rugby, when he is going to be playing club rugby anyway - ready for the call up if you need him. Why not spend the money on a top young athlete who is in demand from other provinces/codes/overseas teams.

Yeah I did misunderstand you - sorry. The thing is: the 5 EPS players will train with the Tahs just like the pro Academy guys used to do, and then play club footie on the weekend. They will have to know all the systems and calls and train full-time just like the contracted players.

You could ask why 5 young blokes couldn't do that, but you couldn't expect them to play in Super Rugby, maybe even start, if there are two injuries in their position because they wouldn't be ready physically. And they would need a few years in grade against hard heads to learn their craft. You might have one or maybe even two outside backs who are very young in the EPS, but not forwards.

I watched some young blokes playing for the Junior Tahs before the Super season this year in a few games. When they played the hard nosed (Fiji based) Fijian players and the Oz Barbarians it was like men against boys. The hard heads had it all over them. Most of the young JTs (some were older) wouldn't have been able to be backups for the contracted Super players and that is the purpose of the EPS - they have to be ready to play Super Rugby.

Yep - there should be some way to get young players on the cusp to earn some grocery money and get some youth footie, and I have written at length about an U/19 competition wherein the best players are tracked for the IRB U/20 comp the following year, but it's an old song I sing.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Im a bit apprehensive about front row in this squad - seems a bit light on, particularly props. If Ben Robbo gets injured, we will get shunted all over the park

2012 HSBC WARATAHS
Super Rugby Squad
Chris Alcock (Eastwood), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs), Berrick Barnes (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Kane Douglas (Southern Districts), Rocky Elsom (Randwick), Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood), Bernard Foley (Sydney University), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Rob Horne (Southern Districts), Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts), Sekope Kepu (Randwick), Tom Kingston (Sydney University), Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Drew Mitchell (Balmain), Dean Mumm (Sydney University), Atieli Pakalani (Randwick), Wycliff Palu (Manly), Greg Peterson (Manly), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Sarel Pretorius (TBC), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts), Lachie Turner (Eastwood), John Ulugia (Southern Districts), Dan Vickerman (Sydney University).
Extended Playing Squad
Grayson Hart (Southern Districts), Tevita Metuisela (Manly), Lotu Taukeiaho (Randwick), Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts), Nathan Trist (Sydney University)
Coaching Staff
Michael Foley – Head Coach
Alan Gaffney – Senior Assistant Coach
Scott Bowen – Assistant Coach
Greg Mumm – Coaching Coordinator

Shit Yeah! I'm pumped already. Also just got one of the Charity jerseys from last year from my gf for my birthday.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And rocky.

When has Rocky ever played professional rugby in QLD? He's really not a QLDer at all, born in Victoria, went to school in QLD but left straight away to NSW to play professional league/union. Doesn't change the fact you've got as many NSW and we've got QLDers in your squad.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
When has Rocky ever played professional rugby in QLD? He's really not a QLDer at all, born in Victoria, went to school in QLD but left straight away to NSW to play professional league/union. Doesn't change the fact you've got as many NSW and we've got QLDers in your squad.

Who gives a stuff. Latham is QLD to the bone. In 10 years time NSW will say the same about Barnes. I rather judge by the pride in which they where the Jersey.

BTW, Beau was born in Alice Springs so piss off as he is one of ours. :fishing

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Who gives a stuff. Latham is QLD to the bone. In 10 years time NSW will say the same about Barnes. I rather judge by the pride in which they where the Jersey.

BTW, Beau was born in Alice Springs so piss off as he is one of ours. :fishing

Your coach does have a history of sack beau though so he won't be yours for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.