• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
2012 HSBC WARATAHS
Super Rugby Squad
Chris Alcock (Eastwood), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs), Berrick Barnes (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Kane Douglas (Southern Districts), Rocky Elsom (Randwick), Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood), Bernard Foley (Sydney University), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Rob Horne (Southern Districts), Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts), Sekope Kepu (Randwick), Tom Kingston (Sydney University), Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Drew Mitchell (Balmain), Dean Mumm (Sydney University), Atieli Pakalani (Randwick), Wycliff Palu (Manly), Greg Peterson (Manly), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Sarel Pretorius (TBC), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts), Lachie Turner (Eastwood), John Ulugia (Southern Districts), Dan Vickerman (Sydney University).
Extended Playing Squad
Grayson Hart (Southern Districts), Tevita Metuisela (Manly), Lotu Taukeiaho (Randwick), Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts), Nathan Trist (Sydney University)
Coaching Staff
Michael Foley – Head Coach
Alan Gaffney – Senior Assistant Coach
Scott Bowen – Assistant Coach
Greg Mumm – Coaching Coordinator

Shit Yeah! I'm pumped already. Also just got one of the Charity jerseys from last year from my gf for my birthday.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Drew Mitchell (Balmain) hahahah

I like the look of Pakalani, I think he's really promising just needs to sort out his hands.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Are any of the fringe players likely to make a name for themselves next year? Who should we be watching out for?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's good to see that Timani is confirmed as coming back. One would like to know that he is not returning to Japan next season though. G. Mumm has a good rep as a coach and this will be his chance in the big time. It's good to see a bit of young talent in the coaching ranks too.

Are any of the fringe players likely to make a name for themselves next year? Who should we be watching out for?

Most of the contracted players are well-known except Greg Peterson. The first time I saw him in 2008 and then later in 2009 at school I thought he would be a S14 player and it has come to pass. I'd expect him to get a bit of time on the park before S. Timani comes back but don't expect him to set the world on fire in 2012 at his age in his position. Eventually he will go well being around Vickerman and watching his mongrel. I hope some of that rubs off and that he also ups his work rate and keeps his weight down in order to do that. It's definitely watch this space on young Greg.

I think Kingston will show that he is worthy of higher things down the track. He's the type of enthusiastic skilled player that should be taken on the 2012 EOYT provided his on field performances continue on a natural progression. He had never played a 1st grade game when he got his contract last year and if IIRR he had played only one 1st grade game before he played Super Rugby. He's goer and in that context will go far I think.

B.Foley may surprise a few folks and not necessarily just as a backup 10. He has the skill set to be a natural to be a back in a 5/2 split, and has a big match temperament from playing in big matches for Oz 7s. Agree on Pakalani.

It's hard to know about the EPS fellows. 4 of them are hard nosed backups who are ideal to be cherry picked into a Super 22 but that can only happen if there are injuries. If there aren't any in their position, however, they can't get on the park. Grayson Hart has S14 pedigree for the Blues; so it's likely that he will do well if he gets a chance. I'd like to see little brother Lopeti Timani get a crack during the season. He is still very raw but he loves contact and that doesn't go astray in an 8.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Michael Foley – Head Coach
Alan Gaffney – Senior Assistant Coach
Scott Bowen – Assistant Coach
Greg Mumm – Coaching Coordinator

Not the people but the positions sound like the Tahs are running like a government department.

I have a feeling the Tahs will pull it all together this year. That round one clash is looking like it will be an epic.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's quite odd Peterson got a full contract, we already have Vickerman, Mumm, Timani, Douglas. It's hard to see him getting ahead of any of them.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's hard to know about the EPS fellows. 4 of them are hard nosed backups who are ideal to be cherry picked into a Super 22 but that can only happen if there are injuries. If there aren't any in their position, however, they can't get on the park. Grayson Hart has S14 pedigree for the Blues; so it's likely that he will do well if he gets a chance. I'd like to see little brother Lopeti Timani get a crack during the season. He is still very raw but he loves contact and that doesn't go astray in an 8.

What is your opinions on the eps player selections?

I sort of think giving a spot to a guy like trist is a bit of a waste. I don't mean to say that he's a bad player or that he doesn't deserve it, but would it not be better to let him just keep playing for uni, and if the tahs need him they can call him up from club rugby. I just think that with limited pro spots in Australian rugby we should be going after the younger blokes so that they don't slip through the cracks and end up playing league or rugby overseas.

The way I see it, blokes in NYC league teams (250 grand salary cap for the squad of 25) would earn about the same, if not less, than the blokes getting the 5 eps contracts. Why then does rugby not go after the top graduating schoolboys athletes as we have just as much to offer, just not as many people to offer it to.

I understand the need for battle hardened players, especially in the positions in which the squad is inexperienced or weak, but using all the majority of your eps contracts on them is a bit short sighted IMO.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
What is your opinions on the eps player selections?

I sort of think giving a spot to a guy like trist is a bit of a waste. I don't mean to say that he's a bad player or that he doesn't deserve it, but would it not be better to let him just keep playing for uni, and if the tahs need him they can call him up from club rugby.

I understand the need for battle hardened players, especially in the positions in which the squad is inexperienced or weak, but using all the majority of your eps contracts on them is a bit short sighted IMO.

The EPS guys will be playing club rugby. They will be paid by the ARU, not the Tahs, and they will be useless as tits on a bull if they are not match fit and they have to be cherry picked.

Your comment on the younger blokes is exactly wrong IMO. They should be in the national academy system. details of which are not yet to hand. They should also be playing club rugby - Colts or Grade.

Even contracted guys outside of the match day or touring teams should be playing in club rugby, but the Tahs would have the final say on that.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Waratahs need to pay Pete Murray a ton to perform at all their home games next year, his new album is titled "Blue Sky Blue" and headline song "Always a Winner"

Seems a good team song/theme as any that we have come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.