• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
BREAKING NEWS: Waratahs No.8 Ben Mowen has signed with the Brumbies for next season, with the ACT franchise making the announcement this morning. Mowen will join Australian Under 20s hooker Siliva Siliva in Canberra, after the Western Force Academy front-rower agreed to head East in 2012 as well.

From Facebook.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hardly disgraceful. The Tahs don't do one-year contracts, which I think is very sensible. Mowen wanted a one-year deal, and the Tahs rightfully told him to reconsider or take a hike.

We will now hopefully pick up Elsom, who is a far superior player. As much as I would have liked to have kept Mowen, its not like he was a key player for us this year. Solid but not at all brilliant.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We will now hopefully pick up Elsom, who is a far superior player. As much as I would have liked to have kept Mowen, its not like he was a key player for us this year. Solid but not at all brilliant.

Elsom (assuming he isn't broken) is definitely an upgrade, but at what price? The more serious concern is finding or acquiring a top-notch flyhalf (assuming Barnes does not play next year). There's a lot to be said for bringing up a youngster, but that model doesn't necessarily fit with a veteran forward pack -- do the Tahs forwards have the 2 or 3 year window necessary to develop a young 10?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where did you hear Mowen wanted a 1 year deal? They showed him and his partner on The Code and it seemed like they had settled in Sydney. Elsom will probably be on a 1 year deal

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Where did you hear Mowen wanted a 1 year deal? They showed him and his partner on The Code and it seemed like they had settled in Sydney. Elsom will probably be on a 1 year deal

Mowen still in the frame for a new deal, say Waratahs
Jamie Pandaram
June 15, 2011

Ben Mowen may yet sign a new contract with the Waratahs. Photo: Brendan Esposito

THE Waratahs have dismissed the notion they are forcing Ben Mowen out of the side, saying the back-rower rejected a competitive contract that, had he signed, would have ended their negotiations with Wallabies skipper Rocky Elsom.

Coach Chris Hickey said Mowen held out for certain conditions - believed to be more money and a one-year option - and did not meet the deadline set on negotiations three weeks after receiving the paperwork.

There is disagreement between the parties over how long Mowen had to consider the deal. However, NSW have not abandoned talks with Mowen and there is a chance they may offer him a revised contract, despite turning their attention to Elsom.

''We certainly put a genuine offer to Ben, he came back and there were some aspects of that offer he didn't wish to accept, so the offer was taken down,'' Hickey told the Herald.

''We still remain in negotiations. You always have to have a second or third available and we do have that. Had Ben taken the contract we originally gave him, none of those people would have come into the picture.

''Had Ben accepted the terms of our original offer - and it was a good offer - then that whole recruitment program around No.6 would have been sorted out then and there. Like any contract offer, they will have deadlines on them. Sometimes they can be extended.''

Mowen, whose father handles his contract negotiations, is considering offers from rival Australian franchises and overseas clubs now the Waratahs offer has been pulled.

The 26-year-old has been successful in organising one-year deals for the past three years, confident in his ability to test himself on the market after each season. NSW made it clear their two-year offer would not have a get-out clause after 2012.

''Our offer to Ben was for two years, the fact we made a two-year offer indicates our sincerity and genuineness,'' Hickey said. ''Financially, we offered him a good deal. It has been portrayed that we didn't value the contribution Ben has made in the last three years. That is certainly not the case. The fact we made him the first offer is indicative we hold his contribution in high regard.''

Mowen did not return calls last night but told last Saturday's Herald: ''Clubs have to be so cutthroat with squads and player movement, it can be quite a distraction. For me [contract negotiations] are the least enjoyable part of rugby.''

Hickey said there was no truth to rumours Elsom was hesitant to join NSW because of a falling out with skipper Phil Waugh, who is believed to be favouring playing on next year.

''There is no personality clash between [the two players], that is just not an issue,'' Hickey said, adding that neither player would be guaranteed the captaincy. ''I think those … decisions [won't] be made until next year. Dean Mumm might be captain next year. I don't think who is going to captain is going to be a factor in [contract] talks.''

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ay-waratahs-20110614-1g222.html#ixzz1RHlcekLy

W

What2040

Hardly disgraceful. The Tahs don't do one-year contracts, which I think is very sensible. Mowen wanted a one-year deal, and the Tahs rightfully told him to reconsider or take a hike.

Elsom is awesome when he plays and plays well. Hopefully he does that for the Tahs and becomes a member of the TEAM. Seems to me that the higher profile and "personality" a player has the more "management" he requires. Having said that OZ rugby needs a fit and motivated Rocky for RWC and 2012 onwards

T

TOCC

Fatrpop, that article doesn't say anything about Mowen wanting a 1 year deal, the disagreement could have been over value of the contract

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Failure of Elsom, Tahs talks has Alcock, Perrett eyeing gap in roster

Date: June 18 2011

Jamie Pandaram

THE snubbing of Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom by NSW has left back-up flankers Chris Alcock and Hugh Perrett battling over a full-time contract for next season.

Elsom appeared set to join the Waratahs but a series of additional demands on top of his salary resulted in the offer being pulled on Wednesday. The back-row situation at the Waratahs remains clouded with skipper Phil Waugh yet to announce whether will play on next year, while Alcock, Perrett and Ben Mowen are off contract.

While NSW withdrew an earlier two-year offer for Mowen, they might yet cede to his demands for a one-year contract.

As revealed in Friday's Herald, the Waratahs withdrew their offer to Elsom after protracted dealings.

Coach Chris Hickey said after yesterday's captain's run: ''We were looking around to finalise some positions in our squad for next year. We were speaking to Rocky Elsom as one of the players of interest, like any other negotiations, we just reached a point where we weren't able to supply him with what he wanted, so that was the end of those negotiations.

''We've got options, new blokes like Chris Alcock and Hugh Perrett, who have stepped up into the Waratahs at a time we've had a lot of injuries. They've performed admirably and shown all that they are capable of playing Super Rugby.''

While Mowen is weighing up offers from overseas clubs and rival Australian provinces, Hickey indicated NSW could review his request to be signed only to the end of next year.

''Negotiations are negotiations - there is always room to move when you're negotiating,'' Hickey said. ''They're things that you look at, we'd obviously talk to Ben and see where we're at.''

Alcock and Perrett have made the most of their opportunities following NSW's big injury toll this season, giving management options it ordinarily would not have considered in the contracting process.

While star players Kurtley Beale, Al Baxter and Luke Burgess will likely play their final home game for the Waratahs tonight, against the Brumbies at ANZ Stadium, Hickey was bullish about the side's prospects in the finals.

''Look, we've still got three or four games to play yet, so these blokes aren't leaving. This will just be perhaps their last game they'll play in Sydney. I'm sure those guys will want to go out on a high note. But, from our point of view, we're really preparing for the next three or four games. It's not a send-off for anybody.''

Waugh said it would be important for his team to call upon their camaraderie to ensure that their Sydney send-off was a triumphant occasion.

''I think every player should take a lot of emotion into every game … emotion plays a big part not only for players but for the crowd and everyone watching it,'' Waugh said. ''There will certainly be a lot of emotion in the game.''

This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or mirroring is prohibited.

T

TOCC

I wasn't disagreeing, I just find the whole thing strange... Does he think he is Quade Cooper?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Several teacups with storms in them here. Talking of teacups: sometimes we have to read the tea-leaves because it gives a truer picture of what actually happened. Who cares really - what is done is done.

It's good that Ben has been signed and good luck to him. As I wrote on the Brumbies 2012 thread: there would have to be a compromise IMO to the squad profile to get him into the squad with a 16/14 split said to be wanted by Jake, and Fotu signed also, and not enough locks, but it looks like it has been done.

The Brumbies will probably need another year until the inefficiencies of their past recruitment policy have been ironed out as the 2012 contracts expire - but that discussion belongs on another thread.

T

tranquility

Ben Mowen is a loss for the Tahs. You need rockstars, you need up and comers, but just as importantly you need consistent club men who do the job and hold the side together. Benny Mowen also has a grain of humility which I don't think would be a bad thing to rub off on the other players.

Very good signing for the Brumbies however, I look forward to them being a power again under White next season.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Ben Mowen is a loss for the Tahs. You need rockstars, you need up and comers, but just as importantly you need consistent club men who do the job and hold the side together. Benny Mowen also has a grain of humility which I don't think would be a bad thing to rub off on the other players.

Very good signing for the Brumbies however, I look forward to them being a power again under White next season.

I think part of the reason he needs to leave is that Dave Dennis had a better season than him and IMO the pecking order has changed. He is a better chance to get the No 6 jersey at the Brumbies and I think it is a good move for him and not a major loss for the Tahs (particularly if Alcock is retained).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Exactly. I would be annoyed if Dennis left, but Mowen had fallen away a bit by season's end.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree, Dennis was one of the finds of the year if you can say that about a guy who has been on a Wallabies EOYT two years ago. Dennis ran on in 8 games in 2010 but wasn't impressive, but this year he has taken a step up.

The injury to Palu in Round 17 saw him switch to 8, since Mowen was already injured, and he did well in a position I had never seen him play before. An injury to Palu or McCalman could see him in the RWC squad ahead of the less experienced Vaea. Unlike Vaea he is handy in the lineout too having played in the 2nd row in his club.

What I like about him is that he is as hard as nails - not that Vaea isn't.

Not to the point but I thought that Timani was another forward find - and not that he hadn't been around the park a few times either.

Status
Not open for further replies.