• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If we actually get an attack minded coach next year I wonder if Pretorius would be considered at 10. I am sorry but Hangers is a tradesman who has some very good games here and there. Nobody has won the comp with a tradesman at 10.

The thought had occurred to me. I wouldn't want him as a first choice 10, but if there are a few injuries I wonder if he won't slide a bit wider.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What if everything pans out and Pretorius iproves his defence and plays the house down for the Tahs - what's stopping the Bokke still selecting him in their squad?

He'd possibly bring some inside information.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
mmmm really wish Beale was still around. They would have an unbelievable partnership. Pretorius loves his chip kicks too and is very fast off the mark.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where was Sarel Pretorius last year? Was he any good? I'd hope against hope he isn't a flash in the pan.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty sure he started in the majority of the games but was sometimes on the bench for de Bruyn.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So from the article, I take it that he is the Tahs' marquee player signing despite not having played a Test match?

It could make it harder for Timani to play for Tahs next season should he decide to play for Tonga in the RWC then...what's the criteria there for a 'developing foreign player' or suchlike?
Sarel would be the player who could qualify for Australia, Timani could be the second marquee who cannot play for Oz.

Would I be right in assuming you weren't overly impressed by the Cheetahs this season, Blue?
I thought he was commenting on the Cheetahs of 2010

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If we actually get an attack minded coach next year I wonder if Pretorius would be considered at 10.

Sarel is a runner not a facilitator and his playing at 10 would excite the same criticism that attaches to Giteau. But hey, who knows for sure? Let him have a run in a few quarters in the trials or the back end of games already won.

I'll be going to the Rats game today but will be watching my recording of the Shute Shield game afterwards. Eastwood, who have won 12 out of 12 are playing Sydney Uni. According to the programme, which is often wrong because it is printed early, Bernard Foley is starting at 10 and will bear watching. I will be interested to see if his ball playing is on par with his footwork in the XV man game.

The 5 will be interesting to watch: one Dan Vickerman, as will a smokey of all smokeys for a Super gig, scrummie Matt Schwager. And what price is 1. Aldy King?

For Eastwood watch through the smoke at 13. Tim Bennetts and 14. John Grant. All teams will have to hire some rookies next year to flesh out their squads.

Not to the pont of the Tahs and this thread but at the Rats game I will be watching the return of 5. Hugh Pyle and 15. Mark Gerrard plus the debut of a promising but troubling 10. going by the name of Danny Cipriani.

For Manly I will be watching the immensely promising 5. Cadeyrn Neville and the always ignored 4. Ed Gower and 6. Dylan Sigg. Good rookie stock those and Gower with a head as hard as they come. A pity 15. BJ Hartmann is not playing as I heard he was going gangbusters, but was injured.

I like this part of the season. As the Super guys start trickling back some of the games are near ARC standard - but I digress.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Would I be right in assuming you weren't overly impressed by the Cheetahs this season, Blue?

Last year....

But next year they will be back to the shithouse if they can't hang on to their players.

This is the sad reality of Free Stats rugby over the years. They nurture the talent and the bigger Unions shop.

I hope the Ebersohn brothers remain at the Cheetahs. They are part of the core of the team going forward.

Cyril Towers (30)
I'll be going to the Rats game today but will be watching my recording of the Shute Shield game afterwards. Eastwood, who have won 12 out of 12 are playing Sydney Uni. According to the programme, which is often wrong because it is printed early, Bernard Foley is starting at 10 and will bear watching. I will be interested to see if his ball playing is on par with his footwork in the XV man game.

The 5 will be interesting to watch: one Dan Vickerman, as will a smokey of all smokeys for a Super gig, scrummie Matt Schwager. And what price is 1. Aldy King?

For Eastwood watch through the smoke at 13. Tim Bennetts and 14. John Grant. All teams will have to hire some rookies next year to flesh out their squads.

Vicks is out, Lee. Pulled up sore after extended wallaby squad training. Tom Heslop takes his place. He's another one worth watching.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Vicks is out, Lee. Pulled up sore after extended wallaby squad training. Tom Heslop takes his place. He's another one worth watching.

They got owned playing dire rugby up the middle rugby with Uni having the best club bench I have ever seen. (Tilse, Davidson, Jerry Y, Betham & Inman) Uni looked like the Tahs 30 scrums for no results. The mighty Woodies attacked from everywhere with Bennetts, Grant, Frost & White looking very good & fast .

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They got owned playing dire rugby up the middle rugby with Uni having the best club bench I have ever seen. (Tilse, Davidson, Jerry Y, Betham & Inman) Uni looked light the Tahs 30 scrums for no results. The mighty Woodies attacked from everywhere with Bennetts, Grant, Frost & White looking very good & fast .

Uni looked clueless to me, no idea what to do with the ball they had. Betham looked Ok when he came on with a few touches. Woodies executed very well and put Uni to the sword.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They got owned playing dire rugby up the middle rugby with Uni having the best club bench I have ever seen. (Tilse, Davidson, Jerry Y, Betham & Inman) Uni looked light the Tahs 30 scrums for no results. The mighty Woodies attacked from everywhere with Bennetts, Grant, Frost & White looking very good & fast .

Wasn't Jerry Y, it was Sam Talakai - commentators got it wrong too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jerry played 2nd grade and was on the bench for firsts, didn't play (he was 10m away from me) still taped up and ready - they had Jerry Y & Paddy Ryan playing 2nds.................................. with McCucthen

Status
Not open for further replies.