• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StonerJack

Great news! Very happy with this signing. I've enjoyed watching him play for the Cheetahs this season and will look forward to watching him run out in the sky blue next year! Welcome Sarel!!

Why don't we keep raiding the Cheetahs line up and get Coenie Oosthuizen to replace Big Al? haha

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Good signing. I feel a bit sorry for McKibbon, because I think he has the goods.

I didn't realise Sarel was so old though.

Is he eligible for the wallabies (sorry Lance) if he has played for the emerging boks?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Pretorius has left the "Tin Ears" for the waratahs on a two year contract.

Super Rugby
NEWS: The Waratahs have announced the signing of Cheetahs halfback Sarel Pretorius for the next two seasons. What are thoughts on NSW's decision to go abroad to replace Luke Burgess? Should they have pursued with a home-grown half?

All the NSW home-grown halves are gone: Burgess, White, Phipps, Stannard, Phibbs & Sheehan. Holmes is going. McKibbin is not quite ready yet. That's a lot of home-grown halves. Who d'ya reckon is next?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Now that is a pleasant surprise. How they hell did they manage to sign him away from SA? If it makes the Tahs stronger (and it will), it is a positive development. He is a very different player from Burgess, and he signals a more expansive approach.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Good signing. I feel a bit sorry for McKibbon, because I think he has the goods. I didn't realise Sarel was so old though.

At 27, he's older than I thought he was too and this might explain why he was overlooked for the Boks. He certainly won't get a spot in the Wallabies while Deans is still coach, any back over 27 is on the slippery slope to the exit and he would still have to qualify by residency.

It certainly fits Hickey's pattern (see Cross, Anesi etc.) of buying experienced sometimes past-it players rather than bringing players into the squad and developing them, so Hickey is still wielding a lot of influence in recruitment right now. But given the under-development of halfbacks in the squad, it was virtually essential to buy a good one and I think Pretorius is certainly that.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How many threads about next season do you Tahs fans want! There is like 3 or 4 currently.

Great signing though, hopefully it translates to expansive play on a consistant basis.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
How many threads about next season do you Tahs fans want! There is like 3 or 4 currently.

Great signing though, hopefully it translates to expansive play on a consistant basis.

But tigerland, spikhaza is a Reds fan! You can tell by the red koala at the bottom right of his posts.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
At 27, he's older than I thought he was too and this might explain why he was overlooked for the Boks. He certainly won't get a spot in the Wallabies while Deans is still coach, any back over 27 is on the slippery slope to the exit and he would still have to qualify by residency.

It certainly fits Hickey's pattern (see Cross, Anesi etc.) of buying experienced sometimes past-it players rather than bringing players into the squad and developing them, so Hickey is still wielding a lot of influence in recruitment right now. But given the under-development of halfbacks in the squad, it was virtually essential to buy a good one and I think Pretorius is certainly that.

To be fair, Pretorius isn't past it: he seems to be at his peak, and a very good peak at that.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
this is a very good signing for the tahs altho i'm a little disappointed as i enjoyed the rise of the cheetahs this year. he's one of the quickest halfbacks around and has all the skills in attack, but wasn't he at the top end of the missed tackles stats this year? this doesn't really fit with the tahs much vaunted defense. hopefully it was due to him being a sweeper having to try to cover so many breaks thru the first line of defense. i guess we'll see next year where opposition teams will try to attack the tahs. he might even find himself playing fullback in defense?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

OK, I agree to a point.

Link in a ruggamatrix podcast 1000 years ago talked about getting the balance of a squad right between experienced, inexperienced with core fitness built up and youngsters.

The Tahs had one experienced and two "cores" at 9. They lost one experienced and one "core" and have replaced the experienced with Pretorius and a youngster in Eddie Bredenhann (I think)

They needed an experienced 9 to me, for squad mix, and Pretorius isn't a bad choice, because who are the experienced quality Aus 9s that are available and would be better? (Phibbs or Valentine?)

That could start a S15 match in March with good confidence?

As for Cross, he was a very good purchase in retrospect IMHO

Anesi - meh, but he was the last contract taken up and I think they looked very hard at other options and were dissatisfied with what was left.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Some would know I am a bitterly twisted Reds fan :p

anyway, reaction on the super rugby facebook page seems pretty negative.

Personally I think he should have stayed in SA he is a real livewire, such a shame to see dorks like Pienaar and Frans Steyn playing instead of this guy. SA should do what AUS do and not pick anyone for the country unless they play local.

Mcleod didn't do the sharks many favours on the weekend if he is the replacement... made "that linebreak" but that's about it. Pretorius is much more deadly and I would have him in the team any day of the week over anyone but Du Preez and Hougaard.

I wonder what affect it will have on 3N?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's a good signing because it counters both the departure of an experienced scrummie (Burgess) and the departure of X-factor (Beale). He also has top end speed as we saw when he played on the wing.

But half the game is played when the other mob have the ball and Sarel has some problems there; so the coach will have to come up with some innovation. As I mentioned earlier: playing a scrumhalf at fullback on defence (except at scrum time) is unusual but not unprecedented if you have the right personnel.

He is a bit greedy sometimes, but so are elite soccer finishers and, warts and all, I rated Sarel and mentioned him once as being 3rd Bok scrummie after FdP and Hougaard - though I had forgotten Pienaar.

I was spruiking McKibbin before the season started but I didn't think he did enough with the limited chances he got, and obviously Hickey didn't think so either when he picked Holmes last Friday, even though he had been released from his contract. However, with Holmes gone, next season will be McKibbin's make or break year.

Pretorius' experience is important as he will help to bridge a gap until McKibbin gets up to speed, if he can, and the next tranche of Tahs scrummies emerge, whoever they are.

Not to the point but we may appreciate Burgess more next year when we miss his robust defence. And not to that point either but Burgess will fit in at Toulouse and replace Kelleher almost seamlessly - slow to deliver passes that don't have lipstick and make up on them, but playing with the heart of a warrior.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If we actually get an attack minded coach next year I wonder if Pretorius would be considered at 10. I am sorry but Hangers is a tradesman who has some very good games here and there. Nobody has won the comp with a tradesman at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.