• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is no doubting Waugh has been a major contributor to the Tah's for many years.
However his best days are behind him, his body has been battered week in week out for a decade,and is starting to show signs of the wear and tear.Due to poor succession planning they need him for another year,but two more years is too long for a guy of his age, in that position, who is battling with injuries.
Yes I know they signed Richie up for a long term contract, but that does not make it right.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
There is no doubting Waugh has been a major contributor to the Tah's for many years.
However his best days are behind him, his body has been battered week in week out for a decade,and is starting to show signs of the wear and tear.Due to poor succession planning they need him for another year,but two more years is too long for a guy of his age, in that position, who is battling with injuries.
Yes I know they signed Richie up for a long term contract, but that does not make it right.

waugh might have been comparable to richie in 2003,
tahs would be mad to sign him for a further 2 years if he remains captain> a captain needs to be able to play for 80 mins> waugh hasnt done this for a coupe of years now

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
More info coming out from Hickey on the Mowen issue. Apparently they only started talking to Rocky after Mowen rejected a two year deal, preferring a one year deal only. Info from Rugby Heaven, but it seems credible.

T

TheNextBigThing

Makes a lot of sense from his perspective. A lot of chances for Wallaby Guernseys this year plus next year a lot of established players will move overseas after the world cup. He backs himself to be a Wallaby next season so why not renegotiate on those terms.

That said it's good to see clubs expecting longer term commitments from their players.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I would take a lot of these statements and leaks and counter-leaks with a pinch of. Isn't it so that only days ago Jason Allen denied any talks whatsoever with Elsom? And today we have the Force blaming JOC (James O'Connor)'s departure on his management (and, inferentially, his greed for excessive terms), and sort of dumping on them. One suspects the hard truth in such matters will only come out in time, if ever it does at all.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Makes a lot of sense from his perspective. A lot of chances for Wallaby Guernseys this year plus next year a lot of established players will move overseas after the world cup. He backs himself to be a Wallaby next season so why not renegotiate on those terms.

That said it's good to see clubs expecting longer term commitments from their players.

Apparently Elsom has actually been in talks with the tahs for most of the year..

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Great game on the weekend. Got there just in time to see Turner race over the line. Waratahs defense was epic and the only slip was after the hooter, put it down to some nice work by Giteau.

Anyone know if there are any returns from the injury bench? Halangahu isn't a certainty for the weekend with that hamstring problem. Kane Douglas is set to be back and apparently Hickey has said because of this and the form of Mumm, Timani and O'Conner they won't be applying for an exemption so Vickerman can play.

The odds looked stacked against the Tahs, having never won at Eden Park (IIRC) and with little depth at 10.

Also A few mates and I were commenting on the weekend, their attack seems a little off. Seems to be forward pick and drive or runners til Taf goes down so he can get another visit from Sharon, Ball goes to Halangahu who gives a crash ball to Carter, Ball then goes to Beale who everyone expects to score. Lucky he generally does get the the Ad-line more often than not.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also A few mates and I were commenting on the weekend, their attack seems a little off. Seems to be forward pick and drive or runners til Taf goes down so he can get another visit from Sharon, Ball goes to Halangahu who gives a crash ball to Carter, Ball then goes to Beale who everyone expects to score. Lucky he generally does get the the Ad-line more often than not.

Interesting theory. Maybe Taf just has a crush on Sharon?

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
They might as well cut to the chase and get married. Theyre not fooling anyone.

But seriously the worrying thing about the Tahs on friday is the lack of depth at 10. If Beale has to play there, he won't have the freedom he currently enjoys at 15. Shame we could't poach a brumbies one. The recruitment guys in the capital seem to be buying flyhalfs and backrowers

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nah I'd rather spend a season with a local flyhalf who will make mistakes but can grow into the 10 jersey than bring in a recruit who might be a success. Tahs need to develop a ten for the long term.

Even if Barnes is unable to play, he'd be useful to coach.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I just meant for this week. Holmes should be able to cover it, but if he's starting it could create problems towards the end of the match.

And I thought they had won once before ove in Auckland. My mistake.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Nah I'd rather spend a season with a local flyhalf who will make mistakes but can grow into the 10 jersey than bring in a recruit who might be a success. Tahs need to develop a ten for the long term.

Even if Barnes is unable to play, he'd be useful to coach.

i would prefer to sign a top class 5/8 as the import for two years then get beale back. the guys they have at ten dont inspire to be worldbeaters, getting someone anyone would be better.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
i would prefer to sign a top class 5/8 as the import for two years then get beale back. the guys they have at ten dont inspire to be worldbeaters, getting someone anyone would be better.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, wj, but I'm surprised you feel that "anyone would be better" than Hangers. I thought he was very effective in the last two games.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, wj, but I'm surprised you feel that "anyone would be better" than Hangers. I thought he was very effective in the last two games.

agree with you bruce, i love hangers, but he has always been the bench 10/12 for mine and i dont think thats a bad thing, eggs before the cart anyway, barnes may play on.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tahs' seemingly decimated squad for 2012 season

With the horrendous run of injuries experienced by the Tahs as well the latest retirements/movements being somewhat overshadowed by the achievement of them making the semis, and still be given a good chance of beating the Blues, I am concerned that hardly any steps seem to have been taken yet to shore up the squad for next year, it might be too late next month to do it especially when no coach has yet been appointed.

I have searched in previous posts to find the latest update of the 2012 squad but am unable to do so without wasting any more of my time, so therefore I am compiling the same now: (feel free to make corrections or additions I may have missed)

Props: Robinson, Kepu, Ryan, Tilse
Hooker: TPN, Fitzpatrick, Ulugia, Roberts (?)
Locks: Vickerman, Mumm (sadly), Douglas....(Timani strong possibility of doing a Vickerman next year but earlier),
Backrows: Palu, Alcock (has he been signed up?) Dennis, McCaffery (?), McCutcheon (sigh)
Halfbacks: McKibben
5/8: Hangers
Centres: Carter, Horne, Cross(?) Kingston, Brackin K-H, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Wingers: Mitchell, Turner, Pakalani
Fullback: (scraping the barrel here) Batger, Woodhouse

Barnes and Mowen not included as too much uncertainity over their Tahs futures.

Am sure there are some Academy players who could step up...(why did they release Tetera Faulkner to the Force?)

Feeling pessimistic re next year as opposed to being optimistic at the start of this current season, guess we will be the Oz version of the SA's Lions!

Status
Not open for further replies.