• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There's a lot of dissing of Mumm. The fact is he's a highly versatile and popular Wallaby lock, a real team man, and does enough for both Deans and Hickey to pick him regularly, and in Hickey's case as captain. There's no 'sadly' about him being in the squad. Perhaps the armchair critics have it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs really need to sort the coach issue out so they can get serious about recruiting. Just a thought, if Horne and Barnes pull through their health concerns, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will become a very viable fullback option. Turner could also as well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
at the moment.

1-robbo
2-TPN/fitz
3-kepu
4-douglas
5-timani (supposedly coming back from japan in march)
6-mumm
7-alcock
8-palu
9-holmes
10-barnes/hangers
11-mitchell
12-tommy rockabilly carter
13-horne
14-turner
15-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

recruitment isnt that bad, waiting on a few injuries, but it would be hard pressed to sign a 5/8 without knowing if barnes could play on or not.
Foley will be coach, i dont think players would have resigned if it wasnt already sorted behind closed doors.
14-turner

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
As a starting team, thats very good. And remember that the Tahs have yet to sign their marquee and non-marquee player.

Id be looking for a backup flyhalf / 2nd five type player in case Barnes is gooonnneneee as the marquee and perhaps another backrower.

And I wouldnt be surprised to see Elsom head to the Tahs.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
just read on the western force website that they've released jono jenkins. I only saw him play the one game (good luck breaking into that starting back row) but he seemed pretty handy and from memory made a whole bunch of tackles. Anyone have an opinion on him from club rugby,, and is he an option for a backup 7 spot?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
as far as i can tell, there going to have talks with beau and i dont for a moment believe the elsom deal is dead, so i think the ths are just doing things quietly rather than putting out media adverts about who there going after like some places.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
As a starting team, thats very good. And remember that the Tahs have yet to sign their marquee and non-marquee player.

Id be looking for a backup flyhalf / 2nd five type player in case Barnes is gooonnneneee as the marquee and perhaps another backrower.

And I wouldnt be surprised to see Elsom head to the Tahs.

Stade have just declared bankruptcy, maybe Felipe Contepomi might be looking for an out especially if they are relegated to ProD2.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
at the moment.

1-robbo
2-TPN/fitz
3-kepu
4-douglas
5-timani (supposedly coming back from japan in march)
6-mumm
7-alcock
8-palu
9-holmes
10-barnes/hangers
11-mitchell
12-tommy rockabilly carter
13-horne
14-turner
15-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

recruitment isnt that bad, waiting on a few injuries, but it would be hard pressed to sign a 5/8 without knowing if barnes could play on or not.
Foley will be coach, i dont think players would have resigned if it wasnt already sorted behind closed doors.
14-turner

I thought Holmes was also heading to France?

Or am I getting my wires crossed?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
handnt heard that but he well could be. phipps or phibbs or whoever is whoever will probably end up at tah land to i would say.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McCibban is the only signed 9 we have for next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Phibbs offered a contract, he is pretty good (despite some Brumbie supporter hate), has experience at the level and is a leader.

But we need a young-ling to develop

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
just read on the western force website that they've released jono jenkins. I only saw him play the one game (good luck breaking into that starting back row) but he seemed pretty handy and from memory made a whole bunch of tackles. Anyone have an opinion on him from club rugby,, and is he an option for a backup 7 spot?

Jono is hard as nails, strong, quick and has a big motor. If the Waratahs miss him again they have no eye for cattle. Let's look at his Fox Fantasy stats compared to Phil Waugh:

Jenkins Waugh

Minutes played: 205 459

Tackles made: 53 62

Tackles made per 80 minutes: 21 11

Tackles missed: 1 8

Pilfers: 1 2

Turnovers forced: 2 1

Errors: 0 2

Long arm penalties: 2 6

Yellow cards: 1 0

H

high tower

McCibban is the only signed 9 we have for next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Phibbs offered a contract, he is pretty good (despite some Brumbie supporter hate), has experience at the level and is a leader.

But we need a young-ling to develop

Recent NSW half backs of note and current Wallaby half and captain in waiting have some qualities in common

Whittaker
Sheehan
Burgess
Genia

Strong in the tackle both front on and in cover, ability to pilfer and assist loose forwards where needed.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Reinforcing Bruce's comment. He was fabulous in his tackling, 53 tackles in two and a half games. That stat is positively Saffyesqe. Alcock, who might become something in the future and is actively being discussed, missed seven tackles per game in the two SA matches, 14 in total. Jenkins missed 1 in the same sort of playing time. He won't cost a fortune and could easily be Phil's successor. When I watched those Force games I was really impressed with his play, he was heroic. He needs to be bought right bloody now!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Number 10 is the big worry for me. Halangahu has not had great games of late, which is hardly surprising given the lack of faith shown in him this season. His highlights are the two big tackles on big Brumby forwards. I don't have anything against him, and I think a good coach could get more from him (and give more to him), but he is not the player required to be the main creative in the new Waratah backline - if Dan Carter can't be persuaded, then I like the suggestion of Contepomi or some other established marquee flyhalf. Obviously there needs to be a local young gun being groomed too.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can't help but notice the Australian U20's #9 Eddie Bredenhann. Is he signed with NSW?

Status
Not open for further replies.