• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree with this sentiment. I was critical of him at first, but has grown into a well rounded player, one that the coaches seem to build a forward pack around. I would rather elsom to Haskell though

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I don't know. Mowen has been OK this year but not brilliant, and if I had to choose Haskell/Elsom or Mowen I would choose the former every time. Mowen is an honest toiler, but I have no qualms in letting him go to get a better deal for himself if it frees up some space for us to chase a bigger name.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah I don't know. Mowen has been OK this year but not brilliant, and if I had to choose Haskell/Elsom or Mowen I would choose the former every time. Mowen is an honest toiler, but I have no qualms in letting him go to get a better deal for himself if it frees up some space for us to chase a bigger name.
Have to disagree. Elsom has been an apparently destabilising influence down in Canberra, and he's been injured for most of the season. I've been a big Rocky fan over the years, but he really needs to put some serious performances out there to say he is a "commodity". Mowen has played well, he added bulk when they wanted it, and I think it has worked for the main part. The Tahs need to build a champion team, not try to fabricate a team of champions. And yet they always go for the brightest lolly in the shop, even if it turns out to be a jaw-breaking sour-ball. Mowen has been a hard-working , loyal servant at the Tahs, and that attitude is too easily dispensed with. Mowen has not been the "problem" most of the year in NSW.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think this decision means the Waratahs think he is the problem. I am still a bit on the fence about Elsom, but all things considered I am leaning towards having him purely based on his on-field contribution. He has played 80 minutes this season, and even half-crocked and unfit he looked pretty good.

Mowen is an honest toiler but in three years he has only had a couple of games where he has really shone- in the first two rounds of the year. I would prefer the Waratahs release Mowen than say Dennis or Alcock. Yes it would be nice to have him around the squad and on the bench, but there are plenty of those types of players around the traps.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why not get Elsom and Mowen? Elsoms had his injury troubles as has Palu. Mowen can play both positions, and has played 42 games straight. He may only be an average player but he's consistent.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't have a problem with rocky. I was a big fan before he went OS and was a bit disappointed he came back to the brumbies. If the rumors of the rocky Waugh spat are true, I would prefer to take rocky and build a new team around him for the next 4-5 years, as phil is probably getting towards the end of his career.

That said, I do worry about his fitness since we already have a big hard injury prone back rower, so I don't know why they would dump mowen. If anything I'm surprised they kept Dennis over mowen, since the former seems to be the third choice 6.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He will be signed by someone, Rocky must have given a verbal

I wouldn't wipe my backside with a verbal from Elsom.

This is just crazy from the Tahs. If Jake White is smart he would already be on the phone to Mowen. He would not go astray at the Reds either.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jesus come on guys. We are talking about Ben Mowen here. From some of the outrage you would think he was one of the greatest NSW players of all time. He is an average Super rugby player, nothing more.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I dont think the outrage is because Mowen's a fantastic player, I think it's more to do with the fact there is no openly stated replacement for him.

Not to say that because we don't know about it something else hasn't been organised but given the usual state of the Tahs administration I wouldn't be surprised.

T

Tank

Jesus come on guys. We are talking about Ben Mowen here. From some of the outrage you would think he was one of the greatest NSW players of all time. He is an average Super rugby player, nothing more.

I hardly think there is outrage going on. A few guys suggesting that NSW have stuffed up letting him go. Certainly like that other "not offering a new contract" situation in Australian sport of late... the punters' view of Katich's situation could fairly be described outrage.

Anyway, personally, I would certainly put him above average but each to their own. Always wished he had stayed in Qld but I think he made an excellent contribution to the Tahs over the last few years.

In terms of where too, I would have thought that the Rebels would be licking their lips bearing in mind three of their backrowers are imports and cannot stay all that long. Wherever he goes, I am sure he will be a great contributor and it woudn't surprise me if he played himself into the Wallabies at some stage for a cap or two. At the very least he keeps the other big 6's and 8's on their toes.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
bad decision from the tahs> cutting young players who have just played 40 odd games in a row destroys moral >
and id love to know whos made this decision if hickey is moving on next year?
more information required!!!
cutting a loyal player who has seeming done nothing to deserve it IS EXACTLY THE KIND OF DECISION THAT FURTHER PISSES OFF FANS
whats the bet nsw go and sign phibbs from the brumbies now and resign waugh> christ they will be lucky to get me to a game next year if they continue decisions like this

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not a lot of love being shown for Elsom on this thread. Whilst I rate Mowen as a solid, if unspectacular S15 player, he's clearly not in the same class as Elsom. Rocky is the Wallaby captain and at his best he's one of the best loose forwards in world rugby. Rugby is a professional sport, and there is no place for sentiment when it comes to rec ruitment. If the Waratahs feel that Elsom is a better option than Mowen (and I tend to agree that he is) then unfortunately Mowen will have to get on his bike. You don't simply retain a player because he's a good bloke who tries really hard. It's not like he won't secure another S15 gig at one of the four other Australian teams.

T

tranquility

The Reds bandwagon is gaining momentum, feel free to jump on board guys.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Do they need to ditch Mowen to pick up Rocky?
This might be the salary cap coming in to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.