• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grumbles suggests that Rocky Elsom would not consider signing with the Tahs if Phil Waugh is still in the team...

Any truth in there? Aside that there are two players named Rocky Elsom and Phil Waugh, and there is a team in NSW referred to as the Waratahs...

That caught my eye as well. I always wondered why Rocky would want to leave the Tahs in the first place...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Rocky left the tahs cos he had debts from failed investments. He was offered large money overseas and the tahs granted him compassionate grounds for breaking his contract.

I heard word when he returned he had an agreement he would return to the tahs but then told them he wanted to return to qld and qld only, the tahs again let him out of the agreement only for him to sign. With the brumbies, there was some talk about Waugh and him having a falling out about it.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Grumbles suggests that Rocky Elsom would not consider signing with the Tahs if Phil Waugh is still in the team...

Any truth in there? Aside that there are two players named Rocky Elsom and Phil Waugh, and there is a team in NSW referred to as the Waratahs...

I took the article to mean that Waugh wants nothing to do with Elsom after the events leading up to and after his sojourn OS, rather than the other way round, and that this counts for a lot at the Tahs. Maybe it's just scuttlebutt - it is Growden.

But if I was running a super club, I would spend my money elsewhere. Rocky has spent too long broken and is tainted with the stench of the brumbies and his previous negotiations.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Rocky has spent too long broken...

About the same amount of time Phil has this year. In fact over the last three or four years I'd suggest Elsom's spent less time in the injury ward than Waugh. I'm surprised no one's raised Phil's current physical frailties in this debate, for me that would determine it's time to move him on.

T

TheNextBigThing

There are better big signings that could be made than Elsom. We've got two quality big men in the backrow in Dennis and Mowen, they're only getting better so they shouldn't be marginalized for an older player who offers the same style of play.

Now Ma'a Nonu, that's another story altogether. Isn't a genuinely incisive centre (at least one who's not made of glass) exactly what we've been whinging about not having basically since Burkey left.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
waughs effectiveness as 7 for nsw bothers me
and when he does play he only manages 65minutes before he comes off and the tahs fade out at the back end of games
i dont think the tahs can resign him going forward> its a shame for someone who has been good for nsw for so long... but business is business

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
It has been confirmes today in french medias by his agent that James Haskell has received offers from Australia and that they are still pending.
He might also go back to the Wasps.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
waughs effectiveness as 7 for nsw bothers me
and when he does play he only manages 65minutes before he comes off and the tahs fade out at the back end of games
i dont think the tahs can resign him going forward> its a shame for someone who has been good for nsw for so long... but business is business

he only manages 65, but the so called number 2 7 playing only 15 minutes and coming on with fresh legs fails to make an impact big enough to stop the team from fading, theres your problem.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
he only manages 65, but the so called number 2 7 playing only 15 minutes and coming on with fresh legs fails to make an impact big enough to stop the team from fading, theres your problem.

that is true>>
however i think maybe waugh would be better to play the last 65 minutes instead of the first>
i know it sounds crazy but i think its much more important having him there at the end. weve seen too many fade outs for there to be any other way

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
his captaincy at the end is superb, no doubt, i still think and when he was a wallaby i thought the same, his first 20 in taking hits and marshalling is also his best assest, pity he cant play first 20 and last 20 and mccutchen plain and simple could do the middle.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are better big signings that could be made than Elsom. We've got two quality big men in the backrow in Dennis and Mowen, they're only getting better so they shouldn't be marginalized for an older player who offers the same style of play.

Now Ma'a Nonu, that's another story altogether. Isn't a genuinely incisive centre (at least one who's not made of glass) exactly what we've been whinging about not having basically since Burkey left.

Nonu - absolutely no way! His now injured understudy Ngatai at the Hurricanes is a different matter...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Phil Waugh has been a legend for the Tahs but it is time to move on. It is in no disrespect to the man but the Tahs need to evolve. If he is going to play on, he should think about handing over the captaincy to the next bloke in preperation for the future. As long as he is in the squad, his leadership quallities will still be exposed but it is time for the Tahs to start thinking about life after Waugh. The Force are also in the same position with Sharpe.

It is sad when legends cling on too long and their legacy suffers as a result. Phil Waugh could end up heading down that path.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Nonu - absolutely no way! His now injured understudy Ngatai at the Hurricanes is a different matter...

Ngatai and Rob Horne won the 'Golden boot' award for best on ground for their respective teams in the 2007 schoolboys clash. He was at fullback for the NZers that day and was most impressive.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i agree in a way ruggo, problem is, the tahs would have to recruit a seven, mccutchin isnt up to it and as much as i like alcock his enthusiasm far outweighs his ability in some regards.

i actually think waugh has played some inspired patches of rugby this year between injuries, he is an absolute gladiator and im willing to give him the benifit of doubt to call his own time, if he does get tapped on the shoulder though, nsw rugby better have the ball to do it to his face and not leak it to the media or tell others before him.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
his captaincy at the end is superb, no doubt, i still think and when he was a wallaby i thought the same, his first 20 in taking hits and marshalling is also his best assest, pity he cant play first 20 and last 20 and mccutchen plain and simple could do the middle.

Ha, Waugh can move to prop and thus have a break in the middle!!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Mowen is goneski, Tahs not offering him a contract for next year.

WHAT! Madness. Mowen's exactly the sort of player a Super coach needs in his squad: regularly in the run-on 15 and good enough to threaten for a Wallaby touring squad place. I sincerely hope he stays in Australia. If Houston's off to France maybe Link can sign him as a backup, and eventual replacement, for an ageing Samo.

Status
Not open for further replies.