• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yup, was certainly Higgers. Rob Horne had an out of character moment, shoving Shipperley's head downwards, and Higgers runs in and reacts unnecessarily (was not out of character for Higgers!). Tom Carter then reacts to Higgers being in Horne's face.

Two points:
1. Although Higgers started it, I don't mind so much him running in and getting in Horne's face for the shove - unnecessary after Horne has a great chase and tackles Shipperley in goal, so I like to see players defending their team mates in case like that.
2. The out of character behaviour from Horne happens from players when they are having an off night - which Horne did (how he made the SMH team of the week is beyond me). (Although, this is not Horne's first slow start to the season by any stretch, so he will hopefully improve within a few rounds.)

T

tranquility

Didnt that scuffle start because Horne pushed a blokes head into the ground? I may be wrong, and am not being inflammatory but I thought Higgers reacted to that incident?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didnt that scuffle start because Horne pushed a blokes head into the ground? I may be wrong, and am not being inflammatory but I thought Higgers reacted to that incident?

Yeah see Ash's comment. It actually took me several viewings to work out how Carter got involved. At least Horne had the good sense to bugger off out of it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
when did he have a slow start before?

2009, I think, or 2010. My memory goes hazy on some years. He started the season returning from injury, lasted about 4 or 5 games (or something, again hazy memory) before getting injured again. Was awful in those first few games, and was good again much later in the season after returning from the injury.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is an article in The Australian today which says that Halangahu was always going to play 10 and Barnes was going to play 12.

If you believe that then it sounds like Carter will be dropped and Halangahu and Barnes will play 10 and 12 this Friday night.

So the idea is to drop the player who has missed just 9.6% of his tackles in his Super career.

That would leave the halves and centres looking like this:

9 Pretorius has missed 36.7% of his tackles in Super matches.
10 Halangahu has missed 22.4%.
12 Barnes has missed 19.2%.
13 Horne has missed 25.3%.

Yeah, that'll work. Ashley Cooper might have to brush up on his tackling though. He could have a busy night.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bruce is that the correct stat for Barnes at 12, or just his percentage at all positions?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce is that the correct stat for Barnes at 12, or just his percentage at all positions?

For each of the players, DPK, I have used the Fox Sports Fantasy stats on tackles and missed tackles summed over each of the seasons they have played. Those stats don't discriminate between positions.

By the way Adam Ashley Cooper has missed 26.5% of his Super tackles so we'd better start running in some tries.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would assume Carter is set to be dropped with the reports that Barnes is going to play inside centre..?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I would assume Carter is set to be dropped with the reports that Barnes is going to play inside centre..?

Sounds like it. Just seems weird to me. It's been tried and failed. If they want barnes out one wider I would prefer they brought foley in as he more of a live wire, two conservative 10 next to each other doesn't sit well with me, but maybe m.foley has a plan I can't think of for it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While Rocky Elsom and Berrick Barnes are set to make their season debuts on Friday against the Rebels, back-rower Pat ''Chops'' McCutcheon will keep Dan Vickerman and wingers Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner company in the injury ward. McCutcheon suffered a calf tear at training last week and will miss at least two matches. And given the three-week injury, regulations allow the Tahs to bring a member of the extended playing squad - Lopeti Timani - into the full-time top 30.

Say Rocky's fit, what do we do? Drop Dennis to the bench? Tough, he was one of our best on Saturday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hangers was in the team for Reds for his goal kicking as Barnes was to play but not kick goals and slot into 12.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hangers was in the team for Reds for his goal kicking as Barnes was to play but not kick goals and slot into 12.

FP, that's the only explanation that I've heard that makes any sense. Barnes must feel like the Australian Rugby Coaches Union has black-banned him - what does he have to do to get consistent starts as fly-half? He's regularly the best player on the field when coaches begrudgingly put him there.

Great news that he'll be back, whatever position they put him in.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
FP, that's the only explanation that I've heard that makes any sense. Barnes must feel like the Australian Rugby Coaches Union has black-banned him - what does he have to do to get consistent starts as fly-half?
He needs to stay healthy

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Say Rocky's fit, what do we do? Drop Dennis to the bench? Tough, he was one of our best on Saturday.

According to SMH today, Rocky is no chance of returning this weekend.

SMH said:
While Elsom has been helping out at training, he appears some weeks off from running with the team because of his hamstring injury.
Asked yesterday when he was likely to return, Elsom replied: ''It is difficult for me to say at the moment. You just have good days and bad days.''
There is also deep concern that Mitchell's lingering ankle complaint could see him miss not just half of the Super Rugby tournament, but all of it, which would be dire for the Waratahs, who have already lost their other Test winger Lachie Turner through injury this season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, that's the only explanation that I've heard that makes any sense. Barnes must feel like the Australian Rugby Coaches Union has black-banned him - what does he have to do to get consistent starts as fly-half? He's regularly the best player on the field when coaches begrudgingly put him there.

Great news that he'll be back, whatever position they put him in.

It says to me that Barnes was simply unlikely from the start as, at his best for last Saturday, he still wasn't healthy enough to kick goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.