• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just read in the SMH that Tahs spent a great deal of time yesterday practicing their kick chase. As Foley says "If we are to kick the ball it is with the definite understanding and purpose to get the ball back". I agree with Spiros last week when he said this idea of Foley's is "oxymoronic". There was nothing wrong with the chase in the dying minute of last week game and I am sure the "understanding and purpose was to get the ball back" - but it cost us the match.

I would prefer if Foley spent more time on the ball in hand and recycling possession or one minute of pick and drive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm often amazed at how often kicks are poorly chased, not only by the Tahs, but by any number of professional teams, so I'm happy for them to drill this hard.

That and support play have always seemed to be an issue with Australian teams for a while now...

It's something the Crusaders have always been good at... yet Deans has failed to bring over to the Wallabies...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just read in the SMH that Tahs spent a great deal of time yesterday practicing their kick chase. As Foley says "If we are to kick the ball it is with the definite understanding and purpose to get the ball back". I agree with Spiros last week when he said this idea of Foley's is "oxymoronic". There was nothing wrong with the chase in the dying minute of last week game and I am sure the "understanding and purpose was to get the ball back" - but it cost us the match.

I would prefer if Foley spent more time on the ball in hand and recycling possession or one minute of pick and drive.

I would prefer to see the Tahs being able to do both, as I said on the game thread, that kick didn't lose the Tahs that match. Horrible indiscipline at the breakdown and on the defensive line was the problem.

The Reds still being in touch with a minute to go was the outcome of that indiscipline

Spiro is challenged when it comes to balanced rugby, his spin it wide at all costs maxim is just dumb, a side should play to it's strengths.

The Tahs only strength at the moment is a big dominant pack - they simply have too many strike weapons out to play too expansively. So playing field position(and having that strong chase) and building pressure simply makes sense.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spiro is challenged when it comes to balanced rugby, his spin it wide at all costs maxim is just dumb, a side should play to it's strengths.

Sadly I think the word "balanced" is redundant in that sentence, fatprop. I seem to remember a time when he could create the impression that he knew something about the sport, but it could be just the mind playing tricks in my dotage.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
pretty awesome stats for Pocock, sometimes players like Pocock who cover a lot of ground can have inflated 'missed tackle' statistics because they are physically close to a lot of action but may not always be in a position to make a effective tackle

The golden boy is not only in a class of his own in defensive efficiency, TOCC, but is also the standout in terms of defensive activity. Here are the top 5 in tackle attempts:

Pocock 640
Hodgson 613
Brown 490
Palu 450
Mowen 391

The Western Force backrowers are certainly prepared to put in.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me, kicking the ball is a tactical decision - normally for field position. You do clearing kicks deep in your own half to get out of your danger area, and you kick to the corners to play the game in their half.

A good chase can make a crap kick a good kick, and a poor chase can make a good kick a crap kick. It's pretty simple stuff.

This whole "kick to get the ball back" doesn't make much sense to me.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Bruce, thanks for the stats, they really show how ineffective that bloke has been.

Agree with you Hawko; Jono Jenkins is a freak. Last year for the Force (I believe vs the Crusaders) he made something like 32 tackles in one game and two turnovers and missed 0. I think that tackle count is higher than any other player in any other game, last year. How on earth has this guy not contracted anywhere?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To me, kicking the ball is a tactical decision - normally for field position. You do clearing kicks deep in your own half to get out of your danger area, and you kick to the corners to play the game in their half.

A good chase can make a crap kick a good kick, and a poor chase can make a good kick a crap kick. It's pretty simple stuff.

This whole "kick to get the ball back" doesn't make much sense to me.

Deans' description of ensuring your kicks are contestable seemed to make sense. You need to put pressure on the receiver every time, so he expects it every-time he gets the ball in that situation. That is what creates the pressure that leads to errors.

Reactions: Ash

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
rewatching the reds match I focused (as much as the cameraman would let me) on B Foley. He had a touch of the Kurtley Beale about his footwork and play IMO. The step and offloading was pretty sharp, and he was just about the only tah back who was trying anything to bend the defensive line (the only other one I remember was Kingston's run out wide where he jagged through a few reds). I would be happy to see him start at 15, but I'd be happier to see him start at 10.

Also, the sooner we get Elsom and/or Timani back the better. Mummshmellow should not be allowed back near the match day 22.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Agree strongly, rsa. I was up high in the stands in the north-east corner but even from that faroff point I reckoned Mumm, and Carter and Halangahu, had average games. Funny what stats can come up with: to me eyes Horne played well. My view must've been obscured for those tackles he missed.

One point I did notice watching the game live: Douglas was prepared to put in at the coal face. By crikey we need him to this year. There's a wonderful opportunity for you to do well in 2012, Kane, and if you do higher honours beckon.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
LG, what are your thoughts on Alcock? I thought he had a shocker on the weekend and that 7 is one of the Tah's weakest positions...

I've said before when comparing him to McCutcheon: people remember his flashing runs but forget that half the game is played without the ball. Cutch is more of a Waugh type of 7 of the tight/loose style, rather than loose/tight. Coach Foley foretold his preference for McCutcheon when he selected him for the Ones in the Tonga trial and will likely do so later when Cutch is back to match fitness.

Meantime Alcock, who does not have an instinct for the defensive role of an openside flanker, has to learn the elements of it on the job - and soon.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Can anyone tell me why Tom Carter is so universally hated? Just read the fox sports article and he was attacked by everyone and he is attacked often here. I don't have a opinion and don't really seen why he is so hated but I am intrigued as to why one man could be so hated . Sorry if this has already been discussed

Wonder if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is upset about being shifted to the wing

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've said before when comparing him to McCutcheon: people remember his flashing runs but forget that half the game is played without the ball. Cutch is more of a Waugh type of 7 of the tight/loose style, rather than loose/tight. Coach Foley foretold his preference for McCutcheon when he selected him for the Ones in the Tonga trial and will likely do so later when Cutch is back to match fitness.

Meantime Alcock, who does not have an instinct for the defensive role of an openside flanker, has to learn the elements of it on the job - and soon.

Alcock seems to prefer playing the link player role rather than being an out-and-out fetcher. My two cents is that, like George Smith or Riche McCaw, you work on becoming a link player after you have mastered your role as a fetcher.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can anyone tell me why Tom Carter is so universally hated?

He is a solid reliable player with no flash who has the unfortunate attribute of getting to easily excited and ruining his excellent work ethic with occasional juvenile antics. As I noted elsewhere, every so often he seems to let inhibition go out the window and channels his inner teenager.

It's a shame because even when he is acting the fool, his workrate doesn't seem to suffer.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Alcock seems to prefer playing the link player role rather than being an out-and-out fetcher. My two cents is that, like George Smith or Riche McCaw, you work on becoming a link player after you have mastered your role as a fetcher.

I don't mind that at all - it's the defending part I am concerned about and I don't mean just tackling.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Can anyone tell me why Tom Carter is so universally hated?

Wonder if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is upset about being shifted to the wing

- Carter isn't; perhaps if you had omitted the word "universally' it would have made more sense.

- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have been more upset about not making his mark on the game against the Reds, thereby making the shift a possibility.

Not to the point, but coach Foley should be commended for his action. He doesn't have a lot of cards to play with because there are too many up the sleeves of the doctors; but he played that card well.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm glad you shared that with me, Jnor. You are probably aware that you are not alone on this site, with male members using his topless body as an avatar and women members talking about having to go to confession after thinking about him. If he had chosen to locate in Sydney I'm sure he would have had his own float by now. Move over, Kylie and Clover.

Do you mean me Bruce? Trust me not male. Confession - yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.