• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I tend to agree but they must have got medical advice, and he would have too

I know which makes me wonder what advice there was being given. But then again, maybe I am just cautious. I know it shouldn't happen and we get the speil that the medical professionals involved have the players best interests at heart, but I am getting sick of players being injuried, brought back, injured again, and I just wonder how well the conflicting needs are managed. IMHO and rumour has it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's risk vs reward for me, and the risk of taking Mitchell was acceptable. We had plenty of wingers.

The combination of Barnes, Horne and Mitchell were just too much risk in the backs for me. In my book Horne would've been the least critical of those three, so I would've taken someone else instead. There was plenty of cover for wing for Mitchell in Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and J'OC, and Mitchell in full flight is simply a game winner. Barnes should've provided much needed stability at 12, so the odd one out was Horne where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and A. Finger could cover 13 adequately with enough match winners elsewhere.

Likewise in the forwards. There were three hookers, so TPN was an acceptable risk. Same with Slipper - 4 props meant Slipper was a safe risk. Taking Palu and meaning backup McCalman was required instead of another open side was not an acceptable risk in my book.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

T

tranquility

Just watched your CEO Jason Allen do an interview on foxsports. He comes across very well, which is has to be a positive considering the boardroom issues that have hampered the team over the years.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Just watched your CEO Jason Allen do an interview on foxsports. He comes across very well, which is has to be a positive considering the boardroom issues that have hampered the team over the years.

I have heard him speak at various Tahs member/fan functions and he is aware of the issues and challenges the Tahs faces. From the looks of it, he and his team are making some headway. In the end though, no matter how well he runs the Tahs administration, the Tahs Super Rugby results and style of play will be the ultimate determination of success for the organisation.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
So after the game, what are the changes (if any) you would make to the teamgiven the me stock (ie assume no one is suddenly fit, and no one was injured last night)

I would swap hangers for foley at 10, and go looking for a new winger/fullback to replace BKH, who I thought had a very poor game.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
When is paka back?

If he is fit surely he would go to wing or fullback with BKH being dropped.

If foley doesn't want to drop hangers he could move foley to 15 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. Waratahs depth is a lot better this year than last.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
So after the game, what are the changes (if any) you would make to the teamgiven the me stock (ie assume no one is suddenly fit, and no one was injured last night)

I would swap hangers for foley at 10, and go looking for a new winger/fullback to replace BKH, who I thought had a very poor game.
I agree - Hangers has had something like 7 years to prove himself and hasn't done so. Foley looked sharp (for the limited time he was on the field) and it might be time to look for a player of the future.

On another note - Has Sarel now picked up BOG in all three matches of 2012?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
When is paka back?

If he is fit surely he would go to wing or fullback with BKH being dropped.

If foley doesn't want to drop hangers he could move foley to 15 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. Waratahs depth is a lot better this year than last.

I am pretty sure that Paka is back this week - not to sure though. If so:

10: Foley
11: Paka
12: TC
13: Horne
14: Kingo
15: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Berrick will probs be playing though, so the question now is:

10: Barnes

either:
21: Foley/Halangahu
22: Trist/BKH

or:
21: Halangahu
22: Foley

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wonder how bad Barnes' injury actually is. The Tahs have been good at keeping secret how bad some of these injuries actually are.

Let's hope we see him back out there against the Rebels - we could have used him last night.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If barnes is back I expect foley to play it safe and go with

10. Barnes
14. Paka
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

With foley on the bench. Or go with:

10. Barnes
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Foley

With Paka on the bench.

Wouldn't mind seeing Horne at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, Kingston and Paka on the wings and Foley at the back but it is hard to justify dropping carter.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Foley at ten, Barnes at inside centre and Horne at outside centre would be a good setup. This isn't a Carter bashing exercise but he just doesn't have the distribution skills to give Horne the pill that will get the best out of him.

Don't know much about your young wingers but they looked impressive in round one.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The whole distribution across the backline wasn't great. Generally once you get one bad pass early on, it becomes harder for each player to get it right. The Tahs were doing alright with Carter at 12 at the end of 2011. They just need to work on getting the pass in front of the man, and not behind and over his head, over the next week.

Barnes will make a difference, definitely.

Was this the first real game with Pretorius at 9 and Hangers at 10? It seemed like it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Foley at ten, Barnes at inside centre and Horne at outside centre would be a good setup. This isn't a Carter bashing exercise but he just doesn't have the distribution skills to give Horne the pill that will get the best out of him.

Don't know much about your young wingers but they looked impressive in round one.

He threw more passes on Saturday than in the whole 2010 season - nonethless i think we the Tahs have to get out of the bashing 'em mindset and pick a team with deftness - so i agree

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have never been much of a Tom Carter basher, nor have I ever really been on the bandwagon of admirers. I thought he served a purpose in Super Rugby, but didn't feel too sorry for him for not being given a look at a higher level.

My opinion of him took a significant fall after Saturday. Put plainly he carried on like an absolute pork chop for the bulk of the game. His antics in the final minutes particularly were embarrasing. If I were a teammate I would have told him to pull his head in.

Combined with the fact that he had a fairly average game I am now of the belief that the guy shouldn't be allowed to get near a gold jersey. Quite simply he is not a good enough player to carry himself in that fashion. If you talk the talk you have to walk the walk.
What I saw on Saturday was a lot of talking but sadly no walking.

S

spooony

What is wrong with Halangahu? He was one of the guys who did well. Horne was the weak link and had a bad day. He gave away 2 turn overs, a penalty and missed 5 tackles! Yet I see him in the lists above.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is an article in The Australian today which says that Halangahu was always going to play 10 and Barnes was going to play 12.

If you believe that then it sounds like Carter will be dropped and Halangahu and Barnes will play 10 and 12 this Friday night.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
There is an article in The Australian today which says that Halangahu was always going to play 10 and Barnes was going to play 12.

If you believe that then it sounds like Carter will be dropped and Halangahu and Barnes will play 10 and 12 this Friday night.

I hope not. They have tried that again and again and it has never worked well. Stick with Carter, nit a great day, but I didn't think anyone in the Tahs past no#10 did well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I have never been much of a Tom Carter basher, nor have I ever really been on the bandwagon of admirers. I thought he served a purpose in Super Rugby, but didn't feel too sorry for him for not being given a look at a higher level.

My opinion of him took a significant fall after Saturday. Put plainly he carried on like an absolute pork chop for the bulk of the game. His antics in the final minutes particularly were embarrasing. If I were a teammate I would have told him to pull his head in.

Combined with the fact that he had a fairly average game I am now of the belief that the guy shouldn't be allowed to get near a gold jersey. Quite simply he is not a good enough player to carry himself in that fashion. If you talk the talk you have to walk the walk.
What I saw on Saturday was a lot of talking but sadly no walking.

Funny, I have long thought that what he offered as a player did not warrant putting up with the way he carried on. When he had the scuffle with Hingers on the tryline I was really shitty, but then I watched the replay and saw he was reacting to saffer like behaviour from Higgers & thought Carter had done the right thing.
Having said that, I think the backline is much stronger with Barnes at 12 than Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.