• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Waugh anonymous? Go watch again. I saw Waugh trying to disrupt virtually every ruck he could possibly get to. Always the first one to chase the ball.

Fair enough, only problem was when Matt Todd got to a breakdown, he was the only one there... Waugh was outplayed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This game is unique. Not worth reading too much into it.

The most important thing for me is a confirmation that the refs have forgotten how the ball carrier was getting more protection last year and therefore how important it is to have a few quick on ballers.

B

Bradley

Sarah had been in the kitchen all afternoon preparing a wonderful and romantic dinner for her loving husband Geoff.
Just before Geoff arrived home she had bathed her two adorable and impressionable children, Vanessa and Robbie and put them to be a tad earlier than usual.
Suddenly she was distracted from the final dinner preparations by the pained cries of the children. Quickly she rushed to their darkened bedroom to find them standing in their cots screaming in sheer terror. As she comforted them they blubbered that they had been awakened by a loud and deafening thudding noise.
Sarah knew instantly what the problem was and consoled the two children.
There, there she cooed. It’s all OK. It’s only the sound of the Waratahs coming back to earth. You’ll get used to it after a while. Australian rugby teams do that every now and again.
Gradually the children drifted off to sleep but ever wary of hearing that sound again. They really hoped they wouldn’t hear it again but their mother’s words disturbed them greatly. Just how many times does it take before we get used to it they thought to themselves. This didn’t sit well with them as a similar thing had happened the week as the Queensland and Brumbie sides had also succumbed in a similar fashion.
From now on, sleep for the children would be forever fraught with fear and dread of failure.
Not a nice thought for young children to confront so early in life.

The wonderful story of Sarah, Geoff, Vanessa and Robbie continued

Later that season……....Vanessa and Robbie came home from school clearly upset with something that happened at school. Loving mum Sarah asked the two kids what was wrong. “Our teacher Bruce Ross made all the non-university supporters stand in the corner with their backs turned. He said we were naughty and would not get scholarships to university when we leave school” Vanessa said. “Oh dear!” exclaimed a concerned Sarah.

Later that evening Geoff came home from work and was greeted by Sarah who had just put the kids to bed. Sarah told him what happened at school that day so Geoff decided to go and read them a bed time story to make them happy.

Geoff told the story……”remember those nasty noises we heard earlier in the season? Well they don’t happen anymore because we won the Super 15 title last week. What happened was that the Tahs learned from their mistakes and because God gifted them with extraordinary powers they were able to overcome their shortcomings and become the best team in the competition. I bet your friends at school that support the Brumbies and Reds have come to school bleary-eyed because they can still hear those deafening thudding noises.

By this time Vanessa and Robbie were starting to drift off. Vanessa opened one eye and said “You’re the best Dad in the world” which prompted Robbie to say, “and the Tahs are the best team in the world!”

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
The wonderful story of Sarah, Geoff, Vanessa and Robbie continued

Later that season……....Vanessa and Robbie came home from school clearly upset with something that happened at school. Loving mum Sarah asked the two kids what was wrong. “Our teacher Bruce Ross made all the non-university supporters stand in the corner with their backs turned. He said we were naughty and would not get scholarships to university when we leave school” Vanessa said. “Oh dear!” exclaimed a concerned Sarah.

Later that evening Geoff came home from work and was greeted by Sarah who had just put the kids to bed. Sarah told him what happened at school that day so Geoff decided to go and read them a bed time story to make them happy.

Geoff told the story……”remember those nasty noises we heard earlier in the season? Well they don’t happen anymore because we won the Super 15 title last week. What happened was that the Tahs learned from their mistakes and because God gifted them with extraordinary powers they were able to overcome their shortcomings and become the best team in the competition. I bet your friends at school that support the Brumbies and Reds have come to school bleary-eyed because they can still hear those deafening thudding noises.

By this time Vanessa and Robbie were starting to drift off. Vanessa opened one eye and said “You’re the best Dad in the world” which prompted Robbie to say, “and the Tahs are the best team in the world!”

It was a good try, but ultimately that had nothing on territorian's original post.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My mail is that it was his knee. Horne's was his elbow. Not good in either case.

I somehow missed Horne going off but I thought TPN's absence was very noticeable. I really hope that the news isn't too bad in either of their cases. As for the game, well, I really can't say anything other to hiope it was an aberration and I can't really begrudge the 'saders too much after the last couple of weeks (although that is definitely not how I was feeling at about 7.30 last night)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Oz Barbarians 52 - Junior Waratahs 32

This was a cracking game. The scoreline makes it look like tackling was optional but you get this when teams haven't played a lot with each other. The JWs have played a few games but they change it every match and yesterday at Forshaw they had an Oz Schools player from last year (Cummins) and the Parramatta 6. (Latekefu) playing in the 2nd row.

I asked an Oz Baas guy how they pick their team and he told me that the call the clubs and ask them if they can use this player or that and they usually say it's OK. He said they don't ask Sydney Uni because they always knock them back. Anyway their team of generally harder heads wore down the generally younger Jnr Tahs team and after the score being close at 28-28 they ran away with the game.

I said “generally” because the reserve Tahs props Tilse and Ryan have experience and played well. Ryan knocked over a couple of guys to score a try and Tilse was running around the park like a young pup. Alcock had a high work rate but didn't do much to affect the game.

If this Baas team is the basis of the Sydney team to play a curtain raiser in Melbourne down the track against Rebels A it should give a good account of itself.

Some notes about some players:

Junior Waratahs

• Lopeti Timani continues his progress. He ran over a few folks yesterday and was tidier. He's only 20 and has been playing league; so watch this bloke a year or two from now.

• 12. Apo Latunipulu passed the ball a bit more but still should have dished a few more pills to 13. Tom Kingston who didn't get many chances.

• 14./15. BJ Hartman had a happier game than against Samoa: he made some good breaks and had a good game apart from bouncing off a few big boppers when he tried to tackle them.

• 4. Maile Latukefu is not a 2nd rower but he was everywhere on the park and once save a try by ripping the ball out of a maul

Oz Barbarians

• 15. Ben Batger was the best player on the park and had a better game than Anesi from the JWs. The Tah got only a shiner and a maybe a few stitches for taking the trouble of showing up.

• 12. Anton LaVin made break after break and it's a pity that he couldn't pass the ball to supporting players more accurately.

• 8. Hugh Perrett had a terrific linking game with his trademark breaks. What a pity this guy, the fastest forward in Sydney, is not as big as Pierre Spies is.

• 7. Sean Doyle had another busy hard game. Where are Southern Districts going to fit in Doyle, L. Timani, Vaea, S. Latunipulu and maybe L. Timani and Samo into one back row?

• 2. Elvis Taione had a bustling game and made several breaks. He played better than he did a few weeks ago at TG Milner a month or so ago when he walked around the park. Mind you it was over 100 degrees in the old money that day.

B

Bradley

Thanks for the report. The Tahs seem to change their side from game to game. You said Anton LaVin (centre - right?) made break after break so I'm just wondering about the defence of APO and Kingston?

P

Parra GM

My mail is that it was his knee. Horne's was his elbow. Not good in either case.

TPN has just done his PCL.........2-3 weeks. They also have the bye in that time. My prediction....................He will smash his rehab and miss 1 week

P

Parra GM

Oz Barbarians 52 - Junior Waratahs 32
• 8. Hugh Perrett had a terrific linking game with his trademark breaks. What a pity this guy, the fastest forward in Sydney, is not as big as Pierre Spies is.

IMO Hugh Perret is the bast 7 in the Shute Shield

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
qwerty

Yep, he did. Not all the players who play for the JWs are contracted or Tahs academy players. Doyle has played for them this year, and at least a couple of times for the Baas.

Bradley

12.LaVin - IIRR his breaks were principally in broken play of which there was a lot. 13. Cameron Mitchell also got a bit of time for the Baas and made a couple of breaks. He didn't get very long but it's the best I've seen him play since he left school (as the only time I have seen him for Eastwood was on the wing.) Again the blame should not go to the JW midfield.

Apo missed a couple of tackles against Samoa but has defended well otherwise and Kingston doesn't miss many.

Status
Not open for further replies.