• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Waugh anonymous? Go watch again. I saw Waugh trying to disrupt virtually every ruck he could possibly get to. Always the first one to chase the ball.

He was very noticeable. At missing tackles. Hard to criticise the guy - how the hell he's playing with a torn bicep defies comprehension. But he's not doing the team any favours at 50%.

Dave Dennis on the other hand has no such excuse for his abysmal tackling display. He was just grabbing all 2nd half. Like most of the Tahs forwards, I think its cause he was out on his feet after 40 mins.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This is where i don't get it. yes Phil you are superman, tough as teak yada yada yada.
Is he more effective with a buggered arm,than a fit alternative?
Friday night would suggest not.
Have a week off or 2 if required, come back fully fit & lead from the front like you normally do.
No one needs a 7 with one arm to start a game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
TPN has just done his PCL.........2-3 weeks. They also have the bye in that time. My prediction....................He will smash his rehab and miss 1 week

I did my PCL (= Posterior Cruciate Ligament) at 40 when I came off my bike. Took me six weeks and I was just running and cycling at the time, not playing contact sport. Maybe you heal faster in your twenties, but if it was anyone else than TPN I'd reckon 2-3 weeks was very iffy. But TPN's like Phil, born on the planet Krypton and not subject to earthly limitations.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been sweating since Friday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is Hangers still injured (shoulder wasn't it?) or just rusty?

I don't remember him being so reticent to tackle?

Cyril Towers (30)
Is Hangers still injured (shoulder wasn't it?) or just rusty?

I don't remember him being so reticent to tackle?

I don't think he's injured. He had shoulder surgery (?recon) after the Super season last year, so should be well and truly recovered. I suspect he is rusty, he has hardly played any footy since last May, just a couple of trials and some time off the bench. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think he's proven himself to be a good no 10 and certainly capable of playing well at this level. IIRR he was MOM against the Blues last year in his first run on game for the tahs. He had a shocker on Fri, but he's better than that and he'll bounce back and play well before this season is out.

Cyril Towers (30)
TPN has just done his PCL.........2-3 weeks. They also have the bye in that time. My prediction....................He will smash his rehab and miss 1 week

I thought he wasn't having his MRI until Monday? Has he had the scan already or is this a clinical diagnosis?

T

TOCC

I did my PCL (= Posterior Cruciate Ligament) at 40 when I came off my bike. Took me six weeks and I was just running and cycling at the time, not playing contact sport. Maybe you heal faster in your twenties, but if it was anyone else than TPN I'd reckon 2-3 weeks was very iffy. But TPN's like Phil, born on the planet Krypton and not subject to earthly limitations.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been sweating since Friday.

There's no one size fits all diagnosis, it depends on the severity of the tear, your injury sounds like a grade I tear due which can vary in healing time, we can at least assume its not a grade III tear.

If it is a tear by any measure, i expect and hope that Hickey at least rests him for more then 2-3 weeks, PCL injuries are of the degenerative nature and insufficient rehab leads to weaker ligaments and only lays the foundations for more injury in the future(ie Peter Hynes).

B

Bradley

The likelyhood of Luke Burgess going to France is firming more every day. A report in the Oz this morning says Tahs are looking at bringing Nick Phipps back next season :). I would have thought Phipps had a longer contract at the Rebels. He played well on the weekend and would do battle with McKibbin and possibly Grayson Hart. I noticed Hart was selected for the JW and I wonder whether Lee Grant can tell us how he went.

NSW looking at Nick Phipps to shore up key playmaking role
Bret Harris From: The Australian March 07, 2011

THE Waratahs are eyeing off Melbourne Rebels halfback Nick Phipps as a replacement for France-bound Wallabies No 9 Luke Burgess.
With Burgess set to join French club Toulouse, the Waratahs are looking at their halfback options for next year.

A member of the Australian silver medal-winning sevens team at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, Phipps was the first Rebel to be selected in a Wallabies squad, touring Europe last November.

But if Phipps returned to NSW, where he played for Sydney University, he would have to compete with the highly regarded Brendan McKibbin for the sky blue No 9 jersey.

"We'll have a look around to see what halfbacks are in the market," NSW coach Chris Hickey said.

"There's not a lot coming off contract. Nick Phipps is one of a number of players we'll look at."

Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is close to re-signing with the ARU and the Waratahs.

It is understood there will be an official announcement this week.

"Taf has given us a commitment that if he finalises his negotiations with the ARU, he'll stay with the Waratahs," Hickey said. "He's not going anywhere."

But Hickey was less certain about when Polota-Nau, who injured a knee in the Waratahs' 33-18 loss to the Crusaders in Nelson last Friday, would play again.

Polota-Nau will have an MRI scan today to determine the extent of the damage.

If he only has posterior cruciate ligament damage, Polota-Nau is expected to continue playing, but if it is anterior cruciate ligament damage, he would require reconstructive surgery.

The Waratahs will have their fingers crossed it is the former.

The momentum of the game changed when Polota-Nau hobbled off midway through the first half and the Waratahs' scrum disintegrated. Outside centre Rob Horne, who did not return for the second half after aggravating an elbow injury, will also have an MRI scan today. "We'll see what the scans show and take it from there," Hickey said.

Although he came off in the 61st minute, Waratahs captain and openside flanker Phil Waugh did not suffer further damage to his injured biceps muscle.

The Waratahs have a bye this weekend before hosting the Cheetahs in Sydney on Saturday week.

Hickey said he would use the bye to "reconsider all selections".

"It's a long season and we have to look at player management," he said. "It could be an opportunity for some players to get more game time and others less.

"If you are in the 22, it means you are a good player. We may start with some of those bench players. At this stage we really don't know."

One bench player who will be pressing strongly for a starting spot is Wallabies loosehead prop Benn Robinson.

Robinson has started off the bench in the Waratahs' first three games because he was recovering from a calf muscle injury, but they will need his scrummaging expertise, particularly if Polota-Nau is out.

Five-eighth Berrick Barnes will also return to the starting team after a week off with concussion.

Barnes' replacement, Daniel Halangahu, was so disappointing against the Crusaders, particularly in defence, the Waratahs may have to play fullback Kurtley Beale at five-eighth if Barnes is injured again.

Hickey will see how Barnes and Beale kick at training before deciding who will do the goal-kicking against the Cheetahs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-playmaking-role/story-e6frg7o6-1226016763166

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Taf's hanging around.

Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau will continue to bring his unique style to the HSBC Waratahs and the Wallabies after signing on for a further two seasons.
Polota-Nau is the latest international to re-sign with the Tahs following the signatures of Drew Mitchell and Berrick Barnes last month.
With negotiations not complete at the start of the Super Rugby season, Polota-Nau put any further discussions on hold to allow him to concentrate on the HSBC Waratahs first three games of the year.
In signing on until 2013, Polota-Nau said that once talks had been finalised with the Australian Rugby Union there was no question for which team he would continue his Super Rugby career.
“I love playing for the Wallabies and hopefully my form will continue to allow me to do that for at least another two years,” said Polota-Nau. “Once I knew I was staying in Australia my preference was always to remain at NSW and thankfully I’ve been able to do that.
“We’ve had a good core group at the Tahs for a few years now and the number of players who have re-signed in the last two years shows we think there’s something pretty special here.”
Polota-Nau has not just taken a lead by action approach on the field, recently taking on formal leadership roles at club and provincial level. As a board member of Parramatta Rugby Club, Polota-Nau has been the public face in the resurgence of the Two Blues while he also has an off-field leadership role at the HSBC Waratahs.
“I was born in an era when the Two Blues were beating Randwick in Grand Finals and at the moment we’re a long way off that,” said Polota-Nau. “It looked for a while as though the club may end up folding but I thought I might be able to play some small role in helping to build it back up and with strong leadership from a motivated board I think we’re starting to get there.
“I think it’s important that you recognise when you have an opportunity to make a difference, and all of us as professional Rugby players have the opportunity to do that at a community level,” said Polota-Nau.
Polota-Nau has missed just three Super Rugby matches since his debut against Queensland six years ago, and he is hoping he will not have to add to that tally despite MRI scans revealing damage to his left posterior cruciate ligament suffered in Friday night’s match against the Crusaders.
“It’s much better that it’s the PCL rather than the ACL [anterior cruciate ligament],” said Polota-Nau. “It’s going to be a day-to-day proposition and so the bye couldn’t have come at a better time.
“I don’t want to miss any footy if I don’t have to, but I also don’t want to burden the team if I’m not ready to go. I’ve got my sights set on being back in a couple of weeks, but we’ll just have to see how it comes along.”
Born in Sydney but of Tongan family roots, Polota-Nau was co-captain of the Australian Schoolboys in 2003 just two years after taking up the game at Granville South High School. He went on to represent his country at the 2004 Under 19 World Championships and the 2004 and 2005 Under 21 World Championship. In 2005 he was named the IRB Under-21 player of the year and made his Test debut against England at Twickenham.
In 2006 Polota-Nau made his Super Rugby debut for the HSBC Waratahs, and in 2009 became the youngest player to earn 50 NSW state caps.
Polota-Nau enjoyed a standout Super Rugby season in 2010, winning the Matthew Burke Cup for the Players’ Player. He was also the recipient of the Waratah Medal for on and off-field excellence, largely due to his efforts to rebuild Parramatta Rugby Club.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bradley

I've seen Grayson Hart in a couple of the JW games this year and he hasn't set the world on fire. He's done a few ropey passes and made dodgy decisions. As we know with JW games, when every game is of a trial nature, (the players change so much), this is not a condemnation. Bredenhan has been much the same.

No scrummie has been better for the JWs than Holmes. He's had some brilliant moments together with the vague stuff. I would be happy to get Phipps back to Sydney, since his contract is obviously just for 2011 and he is a fine player.** In that case McKibbin and Phipps could contend for precedence and the winner would be handy.

If not, Holmes' contract may have to be renewed, even if it is for only a year. I would not mind trying to get Nic Berry from Wasps but this is his first year with them and he is playing well behind the excellent Joe Simpson; so they probably wouldn't let him go.

Luke Irwin from Easts looked pretty good for the Baas on Saturday. He's a contemporary of the Fainga'a twins and Barnes so must be about 24 now, but he hardly ever gets a mention. Nathan Sievert seems to have faded at Southern Districts and I've lost track of Jeremy Sua.

I don't think there's a lot of top scrummies coming through. One way of assessing that is to see who have being the Oz Schools scrummies in recent times. *** There hasn't been a lot of quality since Josh Holmes, and he was quality at school. That's a long time ago. The best have been Justin Turner of WA and Nic Stirzacker of NSW. "Zacker" is in the Brumbies' stable and it would be good to get him back.

But I digress.

** Isn't it annoying that often we, the unwashed public, don't get to know how long players contracts are for? All the other "franchises' have the info; so I don't know why we punters can't be informed.

*** Yes, I know that many fine senior players never played for Oz Schools, their state school teams, their schools Ones, or went to a school that didn't play rugby (Rob Horne) and some played very little rugby in their school days (Kane Douglas). I also know the reverse happens: that ace schools players, especially T5 forwards, don't thrive as senior players.

It's just one point of reference.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Junior Tahs
15. S. Anesi
14. BJ Hartman
13. T. Kingston
12. A. Latunipulu
11. R. Shortland
10. R. Saifoloi
9. J. Holmes
8. L. Timani
7. C. Alcock
6. T. Gray
5. S. Cummins
4. M. Latekefu
3. P.Ryan
2. N. Seymour
1. J. Tilse

30. J. Fonokalafi
17. T. Faulkner
18. S. Sio
19. M. McKay
20. M. McCaffrey
21. E. Bredenhan
22. S. Vakakura

Oz Baas
15. B. Batger
14. D. Smouha
13. W. Grintell
12. A. LaVin
11. E. Doyle
10. W. Fay
9. L. Irwin
8. H. Perret
7. S. Doyle
6. J. Havelu
5. B. Matwijow
4. P. Mathers
3. V. Lomax
2. E. Taione
1. N. Lah

16. S. Podmore
17. T. Gukibau
18. J. Ridell
20. C. Mitchell
21. S. Tuionuku
23. T. Asa.
? A. Nother

A

Albert

Thank you sir - you're a farken legend. Did Matty McKay & John Fonokalafi get much time, and if so, go any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.