• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bradley

Lee, could I ask specifically about a few of the players? I would appreciate your thoughts on the following lads;

6. T. Gray - They seem to like him. Why?
11. R. Shortland - A former NRL player with Storm and Warriors. Is he someone that could kick on and the Tahs rely upon in the short future?
10. R. Saifoloi - I've heard he lacks speed but perhaps he is more of a play-maker and suited to 10. What do you think?
5. S. Cummins - Oz Schools skipper. How did he go and will he play colts or grade this year?
20. M. McCaffrey - He is off to the Woodies with his brother this season. He wants to play grade. Is he up to it?

I know, so many questions. Any help would be good. Thanks

B

Bradley

No I didn't Gwerty. I'm not that talented. I spotted it on the net and downloaded it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Did Matty McKay & John Fonokalafi get much time, and if so, go any good?

Matty didn't get a lot of time and I can't remember anything about his play. Ditto for JF, but he got a lot of play against Fiji. He doesn't look like an exceptional player but could be with a bit more fitness.

Much appreciated Lee. You are more informative than the Tahs Media Unit.

Actually one of the Tahs folks at the game was a big help before the game. I asked him for a team sheet and he said the only list was on the wall of the JW dressing room. But the players were already warming up and he said they already knew they were playing so he unlocked the door and took me in and ripped it off the wall.

I got the Oz Baas list from one of their guys who had one and didn't want it. Then I took up the lists to the timekeepers who did the ground announcing and I helped them to identify the players who scored.

6. T. Gray - They seem to like him. Why?
11. R. Shortland - A former NRL player with Storm and Warriors. Is he someone that could kick on and the Tahs rely upon in the short future?
10. R. Saifoloi - I've heard he lacks speed but perhaps he is more of a play-maker and suited to 10. What do you think?
5. S. Cummins - Oz Schools skipper. How did he go and will he play colts or grade this year?
20. M. McCaffrey - He is off to the Woodies with his brother this season. He wants to play grade. Is he up to it?

6. Tala has been OK without being exceptional. He did some good things against Fiji. He lacks a bit of robustness; in fact a lot of the JWs have the same problem.

11. I don't rate Shortland based on the two games he has started for the JWs. I don't mean he's a dud but there's others better in Sydney club rugby including Ed Doyle at the Rats who played for the Oz Baas.

10. Saifoloi actually started against Samoa on the wing; so he's not real slow. He has gone OK at 10 except against Tonga when he was a bit greedy with the pill. He was the Oz Schools flyhalf in 2009 so will have to have a season starting regularly for Southern Districts before we can assess him properly. If he can get and hold a 1st Grade starting spot he will develop his game and we will be able to assess him better.

[PS - the way Gamgee played 10. for SD against Gordon in the trial before the JW game, young Rohan will have his work cut out to get the jersey, though his goal kicking will stand him in good stead.]

5. Cummins was on a hiding to nothing playing against a hard head pack. He should be playing Colts and get into the gym. The same for all schools players from the year before, at least for starters, though I don't mind if an elite schools outside back plays grade.

20. Young Miles should be in Colts. He is a fearless slight no. 7 of the Gill mould but he has to pack on a bit of pork before he is considered for grade. Cheeky young bugger - I like that in a 7.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Lee, whats the story with Hugh Perret and Ben Batger. I am a eastwood fan and get to most of their games and they always seem to perform and based on your reports they seem to have been going pretty well in the baa baas games. Combined with the fact that Chris Hicky is a old eastwood coach i thought they would be somewhere in the tahs setup somewhere?? case of being too old when you in your mid 20's? or just not good enough?
ps. Really enjoy the reports on the games i cant make it to and dont get reported elsewhere

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Matty didn't get a lot of time and I can't remember anything about his play. Ditto for JF, but he got a lot of play against Fiji. He doesn't look like an exceptional player but could be with a bit more fitness.

Actually one of the Tahs folks at the game was a big help before the game. I asked him for a team sheet and he said the only list was on the wall of the JW dressing room. But the players were already warming up and he said they already knew they were playing so he unlocked the door and took me in and ripped it off the wall.

I got the Oz Baas list from one of their guys who had one and didn't want it. Then I took up the lists to the timekeepers who did the ground announcing and I helped them to identify the players who scored.

6. Tala has been OK without being exceptional. He did some good things against Fiji. He lacks a bit of robustness; in fact a lot of the JWs have the same problem.

11. I don't rate Shortland based on the two games he has started for the JWs. I don't mean he's a dud but there's others better in Sydney club rugby including Ed Doyle at the Rats who played for the Oz Baas.

10. Saifoloi actually started against Samoa on the wing; so he's not real slow. He has gone OK at 10 except against Tonga when he was a bit greedy with the pill. He was the Oz Schools flyhalf in 2009 so will have to have a season starting regularly for Southern Districts before we can assess him properly. If he can get and hold a 1st Grade starting spot he will develop his game and we will be able to assess him better.

[PS - the way Gamgee played 10. for SD against Gordon in the trial before the JW game, young Rohan will have his work cut out to get the jersey, though his goal kicking will stand him in good stead.]

5. Cummins was on a hiding to nothing playing against a hard head pack. He should be playing Colts and get into the gym. The same for all schools players from the year before, at least for starters, though I don't mind if an elite schools outside back plays grade.

20. Young Miles should be in Colts. He is a fearless slight no. 7 of the Gill mould but he has to pack on a bit of pork before he is considered for grade. Cheeky young bugger - I like that in a 7.

On Miles McC, he is nothing like Gill. He is not a genuine pilferer and his game is better suited to 6 or 8 like his brother. And like his brother at the same age, he needs to fill out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
rugbyvet

Welcome aboard. You're right about those two blokes.

Maybe I rate Perrett too highly but I hardly ever see him play a poor game. In club rugby he can play in any of the backrow positions but he is too light to play at 6 or 8 in Super rugby and he is not really a fetcher. He's more of a Brown/Hodgson type who can play any of the 3 backrow position at a pinch.

His skills are more related to 8 and his linking abilities and cover defence are keys to his game. Though I'm sure some 8s have played Super Rugby at 100kgs he is not a hard enough player to overcome his marginal weight. I doubt if he will be considered now at his age. He should have stayed in England. Bath used to play him at 12 when they had a need.

Batger is a different story. At 26 he still has a chance to get into a Super squad again. I thought he was in excellent form last year for Eastwood and was a chance to be considered for a Rebels spot. He is has been good for either the Jr. Tahs or Oz Barbarians recently and was brilliant last Saturday. The only ordinary game he had was when the JWs played him at 10 v. Fiji when Sean Foley was supposed to be flyhalf but couldn't play for some reason.

Spewn
I was referring Miles more to the fearlessness and lightness of Gill. He started at 7 for JWs against Tonga and came of the bench to replace Doyle at 7 against Fiji and Samoa and replaced 7. Alcock against Oz Baas on Saturday. He's a decent enough 7 and he snaffled a few too. By the way I saw brother Locky McCaffrey ay a JW game at St. Marys recently and he is still limping noticeably. Anybody know when he had his operation?

Scotty
I thought it appropriate to give reports on the Junior Waratahs games in the Waratahs thread. But I am sure you are right: some of them will be around in 2015. It's hard to judge some of the amateurs as they are so light and weak at this stage. Inexperienced too.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good one Nusadan. :D

They are probably referring to when they played in Sydney about 5 years ago.

The Cheetahs couldn't keep up with the pace of the game and were having these dodgy injury breaks to recover. The props were going down before scrum time and once two props went down at the same time by mistake so Os du Rant, seeing a bloke had already gone down, jumped back up. You couldn't see it on the TV but at the ground it was hilarious.

But maybe it was just a typo.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Half decent club players who can't step up to the next level. Why do people act like this is a farking mystery/conspiracy ?

Anyone that has watched club rugby would surely agree that those 2 (and others mind you) are beter than half decent rugby players, and with a longer super season and potential for more injuries i would rather call upon players like Batger and Perret than some young guy who hasnt played regular first grade in a state academy..

anyway what the story with horne? what do people think if horne is out? cross or turner to 13? carter and cross as a center pairing doesnt strike fear to me

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A bit of niggle and shoving never hurt anyone

DREW MITCHELL and teammate Dean Mumm nearly came to blows during a fiery Waratahs training session yesterday.

The pair grabbed each other by their collars and began a shoving exchange before backing away. The ill feeling did not spill over afterwards, however, as they managed to have a laugh once the exhaustive conditioning session finished.

The drama erupted during a game of touch when Mitchell ran towards Al Baxter, who grabbed the winger front on. As Baxter and Mitchell wrestled, the speedster tripped the prop, and Mumm, who was playing in Baxter's team, rushed in to confront him.

The pair shoved each other, and later Mumm claimed Mitchell had landed a punch on him. Mitchell, who is 14 kilograms lighter and 14 centimetres shorter than Mumm, was relieved after training that the fight had not escalated.

''Often in fitness some little things get on each others' nerves, we're both no different,'' Mitchell told the Herald. ''It started between Al and myself, and 'Mummy' came in because he was on his side, he came to help him out. It's one of those things that happens a fair bit under fatigue and under duress. Things can get under each other's skins, and I guess everyone being as competitive as they are, things can rear their heads at times.

''At the end of the day, you have a joke about it afterwards, and I was probably pretty thankful that it didn't come to blows.

''I'm not sure if brave is the right word; I probably just wasn't able to think under fatigue. I found myself afterwards thinking, 'What was I doing?' Thankfully they kept their guns in their holsters.''

Mitchell and Mumm are part of the Waratahs' four-man leadership group, and reflected the vibe of a tense training session. It was brutal as NSW's forwards bashed each other during contact drills and mauling practice. The Waratahs are seething at their performance last Friday against the Crusaders, and, despite having a bye this weekend, trained as though they were preparing for a semi-final.

Amid the impact of bodies, groans and grunts could be heard from the sideline at Victoria Barracks as the forward pack - minus the injured Phil Waugh, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Wycliff Palu - toiled under the orders of assistant coach Michael Foley.

''I think there is, quite evidently, some frustration out of that performance,'' Mitchell said. ''We went over there with the intention of playing a certain way and going out with a certain mindset, and we let ourselves down in that regard.

''In a way, it's unfortunate that we have a bye this weekend because we'd like to get out there as soon as possible and make amends. I guess on the flip side we are a little bit lucky to be able to recover from a few niggles to a few key players.''

Mitchell said they were looking to rediscover the menacing mental approach that allowed them to physically dominate Melbourne and Queensland in the first two rounds.

The Waratahs host the Cheetahs on March 19, and have been given a rest today, which is timely considering most will likely be nursing bruises.

From the SMH

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wouldn't mind seeing Turner come in to 13 and Pakalani to the wing. Cross and Carter look to be the likely pairing though, which isn't too bad, but you can't see them playing in a title-winning side.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cross and Carter look to be the likely pairing though, which isn't too bad, but you can't see them playing in a title-winning side.

What's the go with Cross since he came to the Tahs? I reckon he has dropped the ball more than he has caught it (might be a bit unfair).

Do we definitely know that Horne is out? Last I heard the MRI was inconclusive.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
What's the go with Cross since he came to the Tahs? I reckon he has dropped the ball more than he has caught it (might be a bit unfair).

Not at all unfair, as Moses pointed out, and as can be seen from my Avatar to the left, NSWRU seem to have replaced his hands with a pair of tits

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good one Nusadan. :D

They are probably referring to when they played in Sydney about 5 years ago.

The Cheetahs couldn't keep up with the pace of the game and were having these dodgy injury breaks to recover. The props were going down before scrum time and once two props went down at the same time by mistake so Os du Rant, seeing a bloke had already gone down, jumped back up. You couldn't see it on the TV but at the ground it was hilarious.

But maybe it was just a typo.

Is that the Tahs Cheetahs game that had about 8 minutes of actual play over the 80? If so, I was there and it was truly the worst game I have ever had the displeasure of seeing, including being ruoted 90-0 in my own u/11 side.

Status
Not open for further replies.