• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I heard him interviewed (may have been ruggamatrix) when he said he stood down from the captaincy because it was impacting on his own game too much.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Bad news about Waugh. Mumm will be ok as captain but he has trouble controlling his own discipline let alone a team. I would replace one mature head with another and go with Baxter. I don't know if he has any form as a captain but he has the right head space.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
A bit of both mate, he captained Uni quite a bit last season doing quite well and he is a driven individual, plus it would annoy a lot of haters.

Sort of a win/win situation

You are right about the number of times he was captain. Rugby News has him as captain against Manly, Easts, Penrith and Randwick. It is the Randwick game that sticks in my memory. Not one of Uni's best days. We tried two Wallabies at 10 - Barnes and Huxley - neither of whom distinguished themselves, and Tom had a fairly ordinary game although not outplayed by his counterpart, Bevu Tuqiri. Drew Mitchell had a blinder for the other mob.

Tom's captaincy that day reflected the fact that he is "a driven individual", and Davo took over from then on.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I ♥ the demented dwarf...he truly is a byword for toughness. Even if he trains and they see that he can't play, that sort of monumental, devil-may-care, fuck-the-lot-of-you-I'm-playing-unless-I'm-dead attitude really lifts the playing group and drives them on.

If he CAN'T play now or in the next few weeks, it's a conundrum. I have had hopes for Alcock but he's looked a bit sluggish and soft in the trials and game time I've seen him have. McCutcheon is a workhorse without the same level of impact as Waugh but as I understand there's fitness questions. Makes it tough!

Btw I totally support Mumm as captain - he's the lineout caller, natural forward leader, has experience leading Tahs, Uni and Wallaby touring sides. I think there's been some odd criticisms of his discipline - not an issue I've observed in his play, ever. I'd have said he didn't walk that line enough in fact. The leadership group we adopted from the AFL should help too, as everyone really continues their roles, but with a different mouthpiece.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Having Waugh on hand for the Crusaders game will be a huge boost, not too sure if he will start or come off the bench?

Those who say he should rest can shove it, we have a BYE and surely he will be rested against the cheeTAHS

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
News is Burgess is off to France, do we need to start looking for a decent halfback for us and the Wallabies because I don't rate anyone outside Burgess and Genia.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
News is Burgess is off to France, do we need to start looking for a decent halfback for us and the Wallabies because I don't rate anyone outside Burgess and Genia.

Justin Turner? I know he's injured but looked pretty good before that. Would also like to see more of McKibbin.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Sad to see this. I don't think his game will work as well in the ponderous NH environment as it does in the SH. The 10 will be sitting back in the box getting ready to kick a field goal, not running onto a flat pass from a Burgo snipe.

Very impressed with McKibbin so far, hope he gets a start or two when the easier matches come on after round 5.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
where did you see this?

Was in an article about Beale on Foxsports. http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...-rugby-franchise/story-e6frf4qu-1226013899238

The other option open to Beale is the big money on offer in Europe. Like his Waratahs teammate Luke Burgess, who has been linked to French club Toulouse, Beale is believed to have been approached by Montpellier.

Burgess is believed to have struck a deal to play with Toulouse next year and is just waiting for the appropriate time to announce it.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Hey, "linked to" could mean anything, really. It is put in the context of Montpellier contacting Beale -- not of Beale signing with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.