• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ, you need to go the LG route. Blackcurrant juice with an additive in a PET bottle. You don't miss any rugby that way.

havnt paid for alcohol within the sfs for many years hawko, got a few makes who do and so get the extra use of a few seats around me every game. i always start early now, pub crawl and pissed by the time i get there, hip flask and then drinks after, only way to go.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
So Waugh is out for three months and Chris Hickey is suggesting Dean Mumm as stand in Captain.

Not sure Mumm is the right guy but in saying that I'm not sure who else to suggest.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Waugh is out for three months and Chris Hickey is suggesting Dean Mumm as stand in Captain.

Not sure Mumm is the right guy but in saying that I'm not sure who else to suggest.

3 months.... :(

Mumm is the right person, he did well before and besides there's no one else.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
So Waugh is out. Shit eh. I know he's copped some flack around here, but he's a gritty, effective number seven, and very good captain. Do any of you guys actually know what Pat McCutcheon and Chris Alcock are like as players? I've seen a very limited amount of them on the field, and given how well our run on backrowers have performed so far, I'm a little bit concerned.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCutcheon is a solid replacement. He has a massive workrate, probably higher than Waugh's but has a much smaller effectiveness. He's a bit light, similar player to Brown. He'll probably be off the bench for the Crusaders game as he's coming back from injury but I predict he'll start ahead of Alcock. Alcock's no slouch either.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
McCutcheon is a solid replacement. He has a massive workrate, probably higher than Waugh's but has a much smaller effectiveness. He's a bit light, similar player to Brown. He'll probably be off the bench for the Crusaders game as he's coming back from injury but I predict he'll start ahead of Alcock. Alcock's no slouch either.

Unless they are truly gifted, forwards tend to improve, at least technically, as they get older (basically with more game time), so I'm not surprised he's a little green. So long as his work rate is up there I suppose he'll cut the mustard. To be honest I am just as concerned about the loss of Waugh as a captain. I actually reckon he's one of the better captains in the Super format. And Mumm hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
massive loss, McCutcheon hopefully is up to playing some good minutes, good workrate and linker. (was Aus 7s captain) We lose defence and sheer will power with anyone else trying to replace Waugh

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Captain for the tahs instead of Waugh:

TPN, Berrick, Mumm, Beale at a push.

Would love to see TPN mixing it with refs

B

BRIX

The Mummy worries me a little.

He's been known to spit the dummy on occasions and whats worse, seems to be always up for a bit of niggly a lot of the times. The part Waugh plays in that Tahs pack is f**** huge. Terrible news

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree with FP. McCutcheon will be an adequate replacement in terms of football ability. What they lose is Waugh's drive, will to win and sheer bloody mindedness when the going gets tough. Mumm is a consistent performer, he is experienced and he is smart. He will go OK as captain. But players will bleed and die for Waugh. No one can replace that.

W

WB3

I'd rather see Barnes as captain than Mumm, he seems to be more level-headed and I always saw him as the second spokesperson of the team behind Waugh anyway. I suppose all our speculation as to the character of these people is just that though, if the players and coaches perceive somebody to be the next best leader, they will get the gig and probably do better at it than whoever we decide should have it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Mumm has been the captain for the last couple of years when Waugh has been off the field IIRR.

Waugh the captain will be a huge loss for the Tahs as I reckon we couldn't have won against the Reds and the Force last year without him - and no doubt we will have more off those games this year. McCutcheon played for the Junior Waratahs last week. He went OK but played the first half only.

Cutch played in the last couple of games for the Tahs in 2010 but as a 6, replacing Dennis. I saw him play 7 for Uni once against Manly at the ground last year and he looked like the MOTM. We all remember how well Alcock played in 2010 against the Cheetahs; so either will do a good job - but they won't be Waugh.

It is a shame for Waugh in more ways than one. He was playing that well that considering him as the backup for Pocock in the RWC was not out of the question.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is always Tom Carter, he did a good job captaining Uni until Davidson returned

I'm not sure whether that was a tongue in cheek comment, fp, but from my recollection of Tom's one (?) game as captain, I think he'd be better left organising the backline defence which he does better than anyone in Australia.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm looking forward to seeing how TPN goes this week against the Crusaders. He has been absolutley massively - especially on Saturday - but I think the Crusaders are a step above what the Tahs have faced so far. If he's as dominant or even as close to dominant as he has been then the Wallabies MUST start him come RWC time I reckon.

Who else in the Wallabies can physically impose themselves against the SH teams??

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TPN did it against the Boks in Brisbane two years ago playing in exactly the same way. He was a missile bouncing around the field and damaging Boks (until he damaged himself). As I recall, he only lasted about a half, but was close to MoM anyway.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure whether that was a tongue in cheek comment, fp, but from my recollection of Tom's one (?) game as captain, I think he'd be better left organising the backline defence which he does better than anyone in Australia.

A bit of both mate, he captained Uni quite a bit last season doing quite well and he is a driven individual, plus it would annoy a lot of haters.

Sort of a win/win situation

Status
Not open for further replies.