• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
Brumby Runners won by about 10, I hear. Sounds like a similar game to the junior tahs v Tonga game. Lot of dropped ball and guys getting smashed. Junior Tahs play this Samoan side this Weds at St Marys. This is part of the "pacific islands cup" or something like that where guys from the Fiji, Samoa and Tongan world cup squads that aren't playing in Europe get to have hit outs against the tahs and brums "A" sides and each other. The main idea being to give the pacific island teams a decent hit out to help sort out their squads. It's probably good for some of these younger guys to get bashed up by some hard heads as well. Ofa is playing for Tonga and Campese Ma'afu is playing for Fiji for example.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee, how did Ofa go playing LHP for the Tongan side?

Didn't notice him to be honest, and Paddy Ryan seemed to have his side of the scrum going OK for the JWs. - nor did I notice that it was Tonga they were playing - not Samoa.

Query - obviously the 3 Oz teams are not part of this comp, but are the results of the 3 PI teams against the 3 Oz teams and the 3 NZ teams counted in the PI Cup - anybody know?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Query - obviously the 3 Oz teams are not part of this comp, but are the results of the 3 PI teams against the 3 Oz teams and the 3 NZ teams counted in the PI Cup - anybody know?

Definitely some potential in this sort of competition for Academy sides with some more tweaking in the future.

Regarding the query, I'm not 100% on this answer, but it would make more sense if results from all rounds were counted. Otherwise the whole comp would be decided on only 3 games. Here's the draw:

Australia Series
Round 1
19/2 Junior Waratahs vs Tonga A at Foreshaw Rugby Park
19/2 Brumby Runners vs Samoa A at Canberra Stadium
19/2 Reds Academy vs Fiji Warriors at Ballymore
Round 2
23/2 Junior Waratahs vs Fiji Warriors at St Mary's League Club
23/2 Brumby Runners vs Tonga A at Vikings Park
23/2 Reds Academy vs Samoa A at Ballymore
Round 3
28/2 Junior Waratahs vs Samoa A at St Mary's League Club
28/2 Reds Academy vs Tonga A at Ballymore
28/2 Brumby Runners vs Fiji Warriors at Vikings Park

New Zealand Series
Round 4
4/3 Crusader Knights vs Fiji Warriors at AMI Stadium
4/3 Chiefs Development XV vs Tonga A at Growers Stadium, Pukekohe
5/3 Hurricanes Development XV vs Samoa A at Porirua Park
Round 5
9/3 Chiefs Development XV vs Fiji Warriors at Tauranga Domain
9/3 Crusader Knights vs Samoa A at Lincoln University
9/3 Hurricanes Development XV vs Tonga A at Hutt Recreation Ground
Round 6
14/3 Hurricanes Development XV vs Fiji Warriors at Porirua Park
14/3 Crusader Knights vs Tonga A at Lincoln University
14/3 Chiefs Development XV vs Samoa A at Growers Stadium, Pukekohe

Pacific Islands Series
Round 7
19/3 Fiji Warriors vs Tonga A at Churchill Park
Round 8
22/3 Samoa A vs Fiji Warriors at Churchill Park
Round 9
26/3 Tonga A vs Samoa A at Lawaqa Park

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Intense competition for positions keeps Waratahs hungry
Jamie Pandaram
February 21, 2011

RESOLUTE Waratahs back-rower Dave Dennis says Wycliff Palu has a fight on his hands for a starting spot following a powerful display against the Melbourne Rebels last Friday night.

Dennis was a late replacement for Palu, who has a hamstring injury, but will not be content to simply go back to the bench once Palu returns.

''There is definitely always motivation to try to crack a starting spot regardless of who is in the team. I came into it knowing that there was plenty of competition in the back row with Phil Waugh, Patrick McCutcheon, Ben Mowen and 'Cliffy','' Dennis said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''It will be pretty hotly contested, but that doesn't mean I'm just waiting for him to come back, I'm going to try to hold on to the jersey.

''And a bloke like Cliff wants an environment where he has to work hard to regain his spot. He is not the type of bloke who wants things handed to him. He is still working really hard.

''Everyone in the squad is quite aware that, with our depth, every position is going to be hotly contested.''

Dennis will hang on to the blindside flanker's position for Saturday's clash against Queensland, with Palu being treated with caution. The intimidating No.8 is likely to return in round three against the Crusaders, but coach Chris Hickey said Palu would not be a guaranteed starter.

''Ben Mowen and Dave Dennis had strong games. We're fortunate, that is the value of having depth in your squad,'' Hickey said. ''Cliffy will keep working hard, and when he is ready, he may come back from the bench depending on how the team is travelling.''

After the 43-0 demolition at AAMI Park, another strong display by the Tahs back row will make it difficult to instantly change the line-up.

Mowen moved from blindside to No.8 against the Rebels, and with Dennis coming in successfully, the pair are likely to duel for the No.6 jersey once Palu - a proven gamebreaker - is fully fit.

Dennis, who has also played in the second row, hopes his versatility will work in his favour for a starting position, rather than being pigeonholed as a super-sub.

''Having that versatility helps regardless of whether they have me coming off the bench,'' he said. ''I can still start, and if they're replacing a lock [second-rower], I can move into that position. My No.1 spot is six.

''The reality is with this competition, 16 rounds, there's going to be changes, injuries, and it's just a matter of making the most of your opportunity when you do get a start. I've worked hard to be a part of it, I'm comfortable playing at No.6, I would be covering any area. I think there are people who know what offer to a football team, and there's people who watch rugby who haven't seen much of me - last year was my first full year of Super 14, and I'm looking to improve on that.''

Most pleasing for the squad on Friday was that it was first time the Waratahs have held an opponent scoreless in Super rugby.

Dennis said his teammates attitude towards one another had added a new steel to their defence. ''A lot of us have played together for a long time, we've got a lot of respect for each other and when you know that the guy inside and outside you is doing their best for you, you don't want to let each other down and give away that stupid penalty and really be ruthless in that area,'' he said.

Hickey said this weekend's game would give a truer indication of their defence.

''Queensland will challenge us in many more ways,'' he said. ''We conceded too much possession in the first 30 minutes and if we do that against the Reds we will pay the price.

''The Will Genia-Quade Cooper combination is the heartbeat of the Reds. That clash against Luke Burgess and Berrick Barnes will go a long way in shaping the result of the game, and Digby Ioane is a big threat all around the field.''

NSW did not sustain any injuries in the game, but the news is not so positive for the Rebels, who host the Brumbies on Friday.

R

rugby_man

Several players have not been shown in the media relases or on the website but the Tahs have signed Jason Havea, Willie Skelton and Steve Cummins into the academy from what I have gathered. Several players didn't play such as Scott Sio (thumb), Ben Seymour (ankle), Fine Moeakiola (ankle), Damon Anderson (hamstring) and Trent Lake (shoulder). Scott Sio, Damon Anderson, Tetera Faulkner, Rohan Saifoloi and Fine Moeakiola train with the Super 14 squad on a part-time basis. Moeakiola and Jason Seage although are being groomed to play Australian 7's after they return from injury.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Fiji A 15 - Junior Waratahs 12

Fiji had a good win over the JWs by taking their 2 try scoring opportunities, but they could have made the margin bigger if they took more of their penalty kick opportunities, including a couple of easy ones.

To be fair: the JWs didn't field their top team. One pro academy player started (Woodhouse), 3. Ryan came on after 50 mins and 6. McCutcheon, played in the 1st half returning from injury. The rest were amateurs; so were the Fijians, but our guys didn't have their size or physicality.

Some notes on the JW players:

15. Jake Woodhouse had a terrific match with his family watching on and cheering. He had several good runs and made no errors on defence. He is definitely a keeper for the Tahs stable.

14. John Grant had a few good runs too but he needs a bit more footie instinct. For example: in the last move of the match he ran up to the the last defender and the situation cried out for a kick over his head. With his pace he may have scored but instead he passed the ball awkwardly to a prop who dropped it.

12. Apo Latunipulu missed one tackle which led to a big Fiji gain but apart from that put on a meritorious performance in his first senior starting game. Watch this space.

10. Ben Batger was supposed to be on the bench with Bernard Foley starting, but the plan changed and there was Ben with these big bopper Fijians running at him all night. He bounced nicely.

7. Sean Doyle had a typical Mad Dog defensive game and also patched up a lot of stuff whichever side had the ball.

3. Scott Sio had to play THP instead of LHP and/or hooker but he didn't have a happy night against Campese Ma'afu in the scrums. Things improved when 3. Paddy Ryan replaced him, and not just in the scrum. Ryan was one of the few JW forwards who could compete physically with all the visitors but 4. Ed Gower didn't do too badly either.

The full JW team is listed in this link.

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/1508/Default.aspx

Note that 10. Foley was replaced by 22. Batger and that Saifoloi, wearing the 22 jersey played wing during the last quarter.

T

tranquility

12. Apo Latunipulu missed one tackle which led to a big Fiji gain but apart from that put on a meritorious performance in his first senior starting game. Watch this space.

Onya Lee, educating me every day.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I was thinking...after watching Alexander from the Brumbies mediocre his way through the first 2 rounds and playing very loose rugby for a prop, and again watching Slipper do an okay job for the Reds last weekend but again showing his inexperience...does Al Baxter have a real chance of making it back into the Wallabies this year? He looked very sharp, fit, very strong last weekend and held up Australia's best scrum without any dramas and seems to have added a new dimension to his game where he is getting his hands on the ball more, having a hand in a try last weekend. He was like this last season too mind you.

I know many of us here already agree that he should have featured in the Wallabies squad (note I said squad) over the last 18months. I feel his form, experience, success and partnership with first choice Wallaby front rowers at the Waratahs is too hard to ignore. Now, you might be tempted to tell me that he will be penalised by referees with prop prejudices, except I don't see how that could be different to the current Wallabies front row which has really struggled in the past 12months and was penalised off the park in Cardiff last year.

I have no doubt in my mind that Al Baxter and co are going to school the Reds front row Saturday night. I just hope Robbie is there to watch it!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I have a pet theory/delusional pipe dream that Al's omission from the 2010 Wallaby squad was
  1. To give younger guys exposure
  2. To give him a rest and a chance to get fit for this season
  3. Keep him hungry
  4. Get him out of the referees eyeline for a bit

But maybe he just got dropped

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh, but he was dropped in 2009. He was screaming out to be picked in 2010 yet was ignored...for a loosehead who can't scrummage.

...and I mean he can't even scrummage at loosehead!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
...after watching Alexander from the Brumbies mediocre his way through the first 2 rounds

Absolutely brilliant, Reddy. As in the famous exchange:

OSCAR WILDE:
I wish I had said that Whistler.
JAMES McNEILL WHISTLER:
Ah, you will, Oscar, you will.

I am sure I will find use for "mediocre" as a verb in things I write in the future.

Pure poetry.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Whilst I am concerned you may be right... I have been following this site for sometime and I have to ask the question - who are you and what have you done with Reddy!???

I've told people before, occasionally I go off my medication and I go a bit loco. I haven't missed a day lately.

S

skullring

(To the accent of Ivan Drago)

"We are tooo big, tooo fast, tooo strong".

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm licking my lips at the thought of Vickerman and Palu still to return.

Why Vickerman FFS? Douglas is up there with the best in the Tahs pack and would have to be first choice for the Wallabies 5 jersey on current form alone if picked now. Vickerman will be good for the training group and opposed work.

Palu though will be a great weapon off the bench, I wouldn't want to mess with the dynamic of the current starting 15, and indeed would even continue with Kepu starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.