• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
he shouldnt talk though, just smile and nod, the guests would have to just answer questions based on subtle face movements and hair repositionings.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Wow Maccas hasn't changed since then... At least the way it looks. And the Brumbies one is funny because Valentine injured his foot when he kicked the table...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
2011 Pacific Rugby Cup – Round 1
HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS v TONGA A
Saturday 26 February 2011 (Kick-off 4:30pm AEDT)

Forshaw Rugby Park, Sylvania Waters
HSBC WARATAHS

15. Jacob Woodhouse (Eastern Suburbs)
14. John Grant (Eastwood)
13. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
12. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Afa Pakalani (Randwick)
10. Rohan Saifoloi (Southern Districts)
9. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
8. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
7. Miles McCaffrey (Gordon)
6. Maile Latekefu (Parramatta)
5. Greg Peterson (Manly)
4. Pat O’Connor (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
2. John Ulugia (Southern Districts)
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)

Reserves
16. Nick Seymour (Southern Districts)
17. Tetera Faulkner (Southern Districts)
18. TBC
19. Boyd Killingworth (TBC)
20. Eddie Bredenhann (Sydney University)
21. Apo Latunipulu (TBC)
22. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney University)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Q1: Does this imply that Grant is next in line behind Pakalani or is Anesi injured? Grant deserves a chance sometime this year.
Q2: Is Miles McCaffrey brother to Locky?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Q1: Does this imply that Grant is next in line behind Pakalani or is Anesi injured? Grant deserves a chance sometime this year.
Q2: Is Miles McCaffrey brother to Locky?

1. Dunno
2. Yes, I remember hearing there's 6+ of them. Miles only finished in 09, never made Aus schoolboys but made NSW II I think.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
On the Tahs website Hickey said Cliffy will be out for 3 weeks. Unless that includes the week just gone then Cliffy won't be back for the game against the Crusaders, which because of the bye means he won't start till week 5. I will be distraught if this is the case as I think the Crusaders game could decide the Tahs season (finish worse than first or second and I think you'll just be making up the numbers).

I so hope this is just a smokescreen.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That JW team has 2 players from the Oz 7s team in it - Grant and Foley. Good to see that they are not "Use for 7s only."

To share an analysis of the team I made:

Contracted Super Rugby players not travelling to Melbourne:
13. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
11. Afa Pakalani (Randwick)
9. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
4. Pat O’Connor (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)

SRTG (professional academy)
15. Jacob Woodhouse (Eastern Suburbs)
8. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Greg Peterson (Manly)
2. John Ulugia (Southern Districts)

Tahs Academy (amateurs)
10. Rohan Saifoloi (Southern Districts)
7. Miles McCaffrey (Gordon)
6. Maile Latekefu (Parramatta)
16. Nick Seymour (Southern Districts)
17. Tetera Faulkner (Southern Districts)
20. Eddie Bredenhann (Sydney University)
21. Apo Latunipulu (TBC)
22. Greg Jeloudev (Sydney University)

ARU Sevens Programme
14. John Grant (Eastwood)
12. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)

Not listed in Tahs stable:
19. Boyd Killingworth (TBC)

Also:

Other SRTG (professional academy) players:
5. Sitaleki Timani - named for Tahs bench v. Rebels
7. Chris Alcock - named for Tahs bench v. Rebels
10. Ben Seymour - ?
13. Tim Bennetts - took bad knock in Nowra.

Other Tahs Academy (amateurs) not named:
Wing. Damon Anderson
10. Trent Lake
1/2. Scott Sio (must have a knock - would be logical TBC player).
15. Sai Vakarau
10. Ben Volavola

ARU Sevens Programme player not named.
15. Jason Seage

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Foley is a very talented 10. In a sane universe he would never be played at 12.

I assume this is because we have Foley and Saifoloi both shooting for the one spot and two into one don't go. Same reasoning for Cooper 10. / Barnes 12. I would think.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Junior Waratahs 28 - Tonga A 18

Yesterday the JWs bombed any number of tries near the Tonga goal line but played more to their ability in the 2nd half.

Then in the 4th Qtr, and all the reserves on the field, Tonga scored a couple of well-deserved tries. The 2nd was like a 7s try: the Tongan lad had the ball close to the JW goal-line almost standing still, grubbered between a couple of grunters and ran past them as they turned around, and fell on the ball.

It was hard to assess the players as much of what they did was spoiled by bad teamwork - though most were guilty of contributing to it. Dropping the ball in the tackle was endemic. However – here are some remarks on some players.

• 6. Maile Latekefu continues his impressive progress. He has a nose for the ball and is a good linker; (he scored the 1st try.) I'd get him into the Oz 7s team as a Vanderglass type forward.

• All the tight 5 forwards are Super contracted players, or close to it, and their work in the set pieces was too good for the visitors, except that Ulugia was too generous to them with bad throws.

• 8. Lopeti Timani was the perfect example of spoiling good play with losing the ball too much in the tackle.

• 9. Josh Holmes
had a sharper match and was like when he played well for the Rats last year. Once he went on a snipe that morphed into run down touch then infield with broken play but was dragged down just short. Naturally someone lost the ball in the tackle after that.

• 10. Rohan Saifoloi was less impressive than in his last start in Nowra. He hogged the ball and some of his passes were ill-timed and directed.

• 11. Afa Pakalani was quieter but worked well with supporting players. Made a good fist at fullback when he was switched there at the end. The old timers near me sighed and clapped when he kicked the ball out with a long torpy.

• 8. Boyd Killingworth played in the 4th Qtr. Looks like the 2010 Oz Schools player is going to be a handy senior player.

• 14. John Grant – looks like 7s has improved his footwork and passing as he is not such an up and down player any more. But the first thing he has to do is run fast at opponents, then do the other stuff.

The backs didn't get a lot of chances individually and often had to create their own luck. The new backs who look like they could make the next step up were:

• 13. Tom Kingston – is already contracted and you can see why. He is a top identifier of opportunity. Knows how to set up other players and get a the golden ball to them.

• 12. Bernard Foley – hardly ever got the ball in a good position, but when he got a slight chance you could see the potential. Bruce is right: he is a fine flyhalf type and I hope he will get the gig in the next JW game. Looked good at 10 in the 4th Qtr.

• 15. Jake Woodhouse didn't set the world on fire but showed some nice running and supporting as he did for the 2009 Oz Schools team.

S

sportsfan

There was a game in Canberra on Saturday night billed as Brumby Runners v Samoa.

Lee Grant - I made a boo-boo. It was Tonga A that the JWs played against.

Status
Not open for further replies.