• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Speed training does improve your Power. Obviously not as much as specific Power training, but still.

Perhaps by "powerful" he means in terms of play rather then literal Muscular Power.

Acceleration training increases explosive strength. By contrast, energy for speed is supplied by the anaerobic alactic pathway. This speed component of anaerobic metabolism lasts for approximately eight seconds and should be trained when no muscle fatigue is present, such as by running 30 and 60 metres while running at 95% to 100% of maximum. It is quite hard to design exercises that benefit both strength and speed, other than co-incidentally.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Speed training doesn't increase power except in a very limited sense. To increase power, you require strength training. I'm not saying that speed training is incompatible with strength increases, but Hickey's assertion is nonsense.

It was a pretty interesting approach, they brought in some US consulting company
[video=youtube;UH0WGorLBnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0WGorLBnQ[/video]

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Horne, yeah at least it appears he has sorted his hamstrings, I do wonder how long he was wounded with that elbow in the test series.

That could be wishful thinking, fp. He has been sidelined so long with the elbow we wouldn't have a clue as to the status of his hamstrings.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Plyometrics which are designed to boost explosive power are often used in conjunction with speed training to boost overall performance. Its very likely that faster does translate in more powerful.

I agree. The key phrase is in conjunction with. Plyometrics are a very useful component of acceleration training.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It was a pretty interesting approach, they brought in some US consulting company
[video=youtube;UH0WGorLBnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0WGorLBnQ[/video]

fatprop, Hickey was talking about the sprint training provided by Matt Shirvington. If he had instead name checked the explosiveness training provided by these guys then he'd have been talking sense. :)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Speed training doesn't increase power except in a very limited sense. To increase power, you require strength training. I'm not saying that speed training is incompatible with strength increases, but Hickey's assertion is nonsense.

Grouch, I'd be very wary of dismissing anything that Hickey says, no matter how seemingly bizarre. He has a rare talent for lateral or crab-wise thinking.

After all it was only last year that he announced the discovery of the Hickey Hypothesis which states that the No. 8 adds no power to the scrum. In a truly psychedelic leap of logic Hickey glimpsed the logical corollary to his discovery, namely that Phil Waugh should play there because it would permit him to get to the breakdown faster than if he were on the side.

Of course it didn't work in practice, but that's not the purpose of pure science. After all you don't read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time to find out why the busses don't run on time.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Grouch, I'd be very wary of dismissing anything that Hickey says, no matter how seemingly bizarre. He has a rare talent for lateral or crab-wise thinking.

After all it was only last year that he announced the discovery of the Hickey Hypothesis which states that the No. 8 adds no power to the scrum. In a truly psychedelic leap of logic Hickey glimpsed the logical corollary to his discovery, namely that Phil Waugh should play there because it would permit him to get to the breakdown faster than if he were on the side.

Of course it didn't work in practice, but that's not the purpose of pure science. After all you don't read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time to find out why the busses don't run on time.

I'm sure you're right Bruce. There has been many a Waratah fan that has imagined Hickey taking a quantum leap.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i had to go in to the tahs today and they were filming this on the roof, i was watching drew from ground level walk around with flowers ad thought it must be a valentines day thing, then as i left all i could hear was giggling. good work boys.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. Speed training could be for example Sprints but Power training could be Sprints with resistance bands.

The pure Sprinting would benefit your Power but not to the same extend as with the addition of the bands.

I know. I was just identifying the most likely 'how' they would have gone about achieving that.

Cyril Towers (30)
Close, I reckon

15 Beale 14 Mitchell 13 Cross 12 Carter 11 Turner/Pakalani (no news on his knee yet) 10 Barnes 9 Burgess 8 Mowen 7 Waugh 6 Dennis 5 Douglas 4 Mumm 3 Baxter 2 TPN 1 Robinson.

Then:

16 Fitzpatrick 17 Kepu 18 O'Connor/Timani 19 Alcock 20 McKibbon 21 Halangahu 22 Horne

McAffrey broke his leg in the Shute Shield semi last year. I saw him at the Nowra trial and he wasn't on crutches but he sure had a skinny leg. I think he's a while away.

Here's my pick:

15: Beale 14:Mitchell 13:Horne 12: Carter 11: Turner/Pakalani (depending on Turner's leg) 10: Barnes 9: Burgess 8: Mowen 7: Waugh 6: Dennis 5: Douglas 4: Mumm 3: Baxter 2: TPN 1: Keputhen:
16: Fitzy 17: Fatcat 18: Timani 19: Alcock 20: McKibbon 21: Hangers 22: Cross
Timani or Dennis can both cover lock if there is an injury there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hadn't seen that training video of the Tahs before.

There's a little bit in the middle that looks a little bit like this film clip

[video=youtube;REfDCPhPQQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfDCPhPQQ4[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.